PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclists cause global warming according to Washington state politician

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
by Evan Sernoffsky, kgw staff

http://i.imgur.com/SmOhIbi.gif

OLYMPIA, Wash. – A Washington State Representative who serves as a ranking republican on the State Transportation Committee may be an unlikely proponent of a tax that would require everyone who buys a bike for more than $500 to pay a $25 fee.

His reason for supporting the tax, however, is raising some eyebrows in the Northwest biking community.

Rep. Ed Orcutt (R-Kalama) said in an email to bike shop owner Dale Carlson that, “since CO2 is deemed a greenhouse gas and a pollutant, bicyclists are actually polluting when they ride.”

Carlson owns Bike Tech in Tacoma and is one of many in the bike community who is putting up a fight against the proposal.

“I emailed all of the representatives on the Transportation Committee asking them to reconsider this bicycle tax,” Carlson said. “I didn’t want a reply. I just wanted to get my message across.”

The email has been making the rounds on blogs like Cascade Bicycle Club, BikePortland.org, and Seattlebikeblog.com.

"My first reaction was to chuckle," said Tom Fucoloro from Seattlebikeblog.com. "I didn't know this was even an argument."

The statement also came as a shock to BikePortland.org’s Jonathan Maus, because he says up until now, Orcutt has staunchly opposed increased taxes on transportation.

“It’s shocking that someone in his high-ranking position would respond this way to a constituent,” Maus said. “The statement is based on a general cultural bias that people have about bicycling.”

In a statement regarding proposed gas tax increase in the 2013 transportation package Orcutt said, “before we even entertain the idea of a gas tax increase, we want to talk about transportation and economic reforms.”

KGW tried to reach Orcutt’s office but did not get a response on the weekend.

The $25 bike fee in question was announced by House Democrats two weeks ago as part of an overall package that would raise a reported $9.8 billion over the next decade.

FBD
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
oh the incredulity! :lol:

redred
03-04-2013, 01:11 PM
$25 per a bike ? :lol: thats me fucked

RBP
03-04-2013, 01:20 PM
CO2 is a green house gas is it not? :-s

FBD
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
context, bro. "greenhouse gas" is a wide ranging phenomena, from barely anything at all, to o'plenty. and not all greenhouse gases are plant food ;) for example, water vapor has exponentially more warming power, and is orders upon orders of magnitude more abundant. it is why you see huge diurnal temp swings over a desert and not very much at all over a rainforest.

in fact even as of right now we're still not even able to accurately calculate the warming coefficient for CO2, because the signal is that far buried by noise.

co2 just absorbs a little more IR...and once its IR heat capacity is saturated, CO2 doesnt do jack shit for warming.

RBP
03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Nope. If cows farts count then so does breathing :nono:

FBD
03-04-2013, 01:49 PM
methane is also exponentially more potent than co2 in terms of warming coefficient ;)

RBP
03-04-2013, 01:52 PM
don't care. Runner's should pay more too.

FBD
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
:lol: point taken ;)

regardless, my wager is still on the final CO2 warming coefficient value being less than 1 :qft: