PDA

View Full Version : White House cancels tours, citing sequestration

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
By Rachel Rose Hartman, Yahoo! News | The Ticket

http://i.imgur.com/rklOpaT.jpg

Sorry, D.C. tourists. Your tour of the White House has fallen victim to the sequester.

The White House Visitors Office 24-hour help line on Tuesday informed callers that starting March 9, tours of the White House will be canceled due to the across-the-board spending cuts ordered by President Barack Obama last Friday in the absence of a federal budget passed by Congress:

Due to staffing reductions resulting from sequestration, we regret to inform you that White House tours will be canceled effective Saturday, March 9, 2013 until further notice. Unfortunately, we will not be able to reschedule affected tours. We very much regret having to take this action, particularly during the popular spring touring season. For updates regarding this situation, please contact the White House Visitors Office 24-hour hotline.

While some critics immediately argued that the savings from canceling tours was negligible, the White House did not cite savings as a chief reason for the decision. Instead, it said the decision was necessitated by staffing reductions.

The White House has been arguing that the sequester will be devastating to the economy and has warned of flight delays, food safety issues, customs and border problems, teacher layoffs and other negative consequences as a result of the cuts. Republicans say Democrats are exaggerating the sequester's impact and agencies can administer spending cuts in a way that won't cripple Americans.

The cancellation of tours creates a potential headache for lawmakers.

Requests and arrangements for White House tours are conducted through visitors' members of Congress.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Dana Perino, who worked in the Bush White House, just said on TV that these tours are self-guided. :facepalm:

RBP
03-05-2013, 10:44 PM
I think I know the answer to this, but really, do they think we are that fucking stupid??

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2013, 10:47 PM
I think I know the answer to this, but really, do they think we are that fucking stupid??

Yes...and the sad thing is, enough people will think this isn't a 'manufactured crisis' and that they really can't afford to run tours at the White House. :|

Acid Trip
03-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Have you all noticed that any budget cuts are automatically turned into "We are firing x, y, and z as a result of budget cuts"?

How about reducing the hundreds of billions in waste and fraudulent payments first, then cut staff if there isn't enough demand. That's how we do it in the real world.

Muddy
03-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Have you all noticed that any budget cuts are automatically turned into "We are firing x, y, and z as a result of budget cuts"?

How about reducing the hundreds of billions in waste and fraudulent payments first, then cut staff if there isn't enough demand. That's how we do it in the real world.

Its a fear tactic.. These guys are really out of control..

RBP
03-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Sad indeed.. and yes, it is very out of control.

Griffin
03-05-2013, 11:08 PM
The root of this is that he fears the people he is fucking.

FBD
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Dana Perino, who worked in the Bush White House, just said on TV that these tours are self-guided. :facepalm:

yeah I saw that these tours are either self or done by volunteers

RBP
03-06-2013, 07:30 PM
yeah I saw that these tours are either self or done by volunteers

Not sure about the volunteer part since it's against the law to volunteer at a federal agency. :roll:

FBD
03-06-2013, 07:35 PM
I probably got that context mixed up with something else then

KevinD
03-06-2013, 08:09 PM
C'mon guys. None of you realize this is just an excuse by the royal Couple to keep the riff-raff out of the Whitehouse? :lol:

Acid Trip
03-06-2013, 08:14 PM
The peoples house is now closed to the people. How ironic.

RBP
03-06-2013, 11:59 PM
I probably got that context mixed up with something else then

idk, you might be right. I just know I checked into volunteering at the VA and was told that federal agencies do not allow volunteers. So dumb.

perrhaps
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Think of how much money he'd save if Obama cut off the power to his teleprompters.

FBD
03-07-2013, 03:38 PM
idk, you might be right. I just know I checked into volunteering at the VA and was told that federal agencies do not allow volunteers. So dumb.

you asked to volunteer at the VA (ffs) and they turned you away!?!?!

*shakes head* that's just...fkn stupid and unbelievable. crazy, bro, crazy.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mJKSsKE.png

Griffin
03-08-2013, 12:06 AM
I was wondering how the National Park Service got around that mandate.