PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas lawmakers back nation's most restrictive abortion bill

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
By Ed Payne, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/TeqC2tp.jpg

(CNN) -- Overriding a veto by Arkansas' Democratic governor, the state's Republican-controlled House and Senate approved a bill to ban abortions after 12 weeks of pregnancy, the most restrictive such law in the country.

Gov. Mike Beebe, a Democrat, vetoed the bill Monday, saying it "blatantly contradicts the United States Constitution, as interpreted by the Supreme Court."

But on Wednesday, the Arkansas House voted 56-33 to override the veto, following a 20-14 override vote a day earlier in the state Senate.

The Center for Reproductive Rights and the ACLU of Arkansas promised to mount a legal challenge in federal court, while supporters said they were prepared to fight back.

"We intend to make it ... clear that no one's constitutional rights are subject to revision by lawmakers intent on scoring political points, and that attempts such as this to turn back the clock on reproductive rights will not stand," Nancy Northup, president and CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, said in a statement.

Should the state lose the challenge, it will have to pay all the legal fees in the case.

But Rep. Ann Clemmer, a Republican supporter, says the money would be well spent.

"Protecting unborn children is ... an important way to spend state resources," she told CNN affiliate KATV in Little Rock.

Called the "Arkansas Human Heartbeat Protection Act," the bill requires testing to determine "whether the fetus that the pregnant woman is carrying possesses a detectible heartbeat."

Abortions would be banned if the fetus has a detected heartbeat "and is under 12 weeks or greater gestation."

Roe v. Wade, a 1973 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, legalized the right to an abortion in all 50 states. Statutory time limits on when abortions can take place, however, vary from state to state. Some states have no time limit, while others allow abortion up to the end of the second trimester, about 27 or 28 weeks into the pregnancy.

Two women's stories

As is so often the case with this issue, there are deep divides.

Kandi Cox, who had an abortion 20 years ago when she was 19, now heads Abba Adoption, an agency that offers support for women and teens who choose adoption rather than abortion for their unborn child.

"This is a day of celebration within our state, where we can say that we as the state of Arkansas, we stand for life," Cox told CNN affiliate KARK-TV. "We're going to continue to fight until Arkansas stays a solid state for life."

But Jan Gerber, who also had an abortion, said she has no regrets about her decision to end her pregnancy.

She is a registered nurse, who signed a petition by Physicians for Reproductive Choice and Health to support abortion providers.

"I stand for choice," Gerber told KARK. "I stand for the little girl who thinks her voice has been taken away from her, and I'm 60 and I'm older and I want to say to that little girl, 'you do have a choice.'"

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I can't wait until we get all the way to back-alley abortions with wire coat hangers :tup:

RBP
03-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I can't wait until we get all the way to back-alley abortions with wire coat hangers :tup:

Yes because later term abortions are so much less barbaric :roll:

12 weeks is the first trimester. I'm ok with that. No reason that decision can't be made in 12 weeks.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
You're right, imposing your own personal moral views onto someone else is totally reasonable and fine. :roll:

See, I can roll my eyes and be snarky too :tup:

So just remember that when they pass laws that affect you that you don't like and infringes on your rights ;)

FBD
03-07-2013, 02:44 PM
really, how the hell long does it take to make this decision? the longer you wait the more the little one grows. third trimester should be illegal unless there's deadly problems, imho that should go for most of the second trimester as well. I mean really, you find out you're preggers, you should be able to make the decision within a month's time or so. going too much past that is just ridiculous.

Acid Trip
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Abortions are the sickest thing a society has ever allowed.

I may be Pro-"Stay the fuck out of other people's business" but I also believe there is a special place in hell for people who get abortions and the doctors who perform them.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Abortions are the sickest thing a society has ever allowed.

I may be Pro-"Stay the fuck out of other people's business" but I also believe there is a special place in hell for people who get abortions and the doctors who perform them.

And that's fine to feel that way....I feel the same way about people that feel the need to use drugs (not so much the whole hell thing, but I just don't like it), but hey, that's their business and I have come to the realization that if that's what they want to do, then that's their business. I was wrong to be against legalizing drugs because that was MY personal belief and I have no business forcing my views onto other people.

FBD
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
wait, are you talking about weed, or drugs? :dance:

we all know prescription pills are the most abused drugs out there.

and weed aint drugs :P

Acid Trip
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
wait, are you talking about weed, or drugs? :dance:

we all know prescription pills are the most abused drugs out there.

and weed aint drugs :P

Caffeine is the most abused drug out there if we really want to get specific.

Acid Trip
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
And that's fine to feel that way....I feel the same way about people that feel the need to use drugs (not so much the whole hell thing, but I just don't like it), but hey, that's their business and I have come to the realization that if that's what they want to do, then that's their business. I was wrong to be against legalizing drugs because that was MY personal belief and I have no business forcing my views onto other people.

You are becoming more of a Libertarian every day :D

RBP
03-08-2013, 01:09 AM
You're right, imposing your own personal moral views onto someone else is totally reasonable and fine. :roll:

See, I can roll my eyes and be snarky too :tup:

So just remember that when they pass laws that affect you that you don't like and infringes on your rights ;)

That's just silly. It's already illegal after 6 months in most cases, so we aren't talking about if their are limits to choice or not, because limits already exist. It's a matter of deciding what the right limit should be. Roe v Wade even said it is limited to before the fetus is viable, which at the time was about 6-7 months. It's been 40 years since then! Medical advances have changed viability to considerably earlier. So even by that standard the cut off should be earlier than it is now.

My position has been consistent and it happens to agree with the time frame in the article. Keep it safe and legal and limited to the first trimester.

So try making a reasonable argument. When you start blabbering about back alleys and hangers, don't expect anything less than a snarky reply.

DemonGeminiX
03-08-2013, 01:52 AM
weed aint drugs :P

:-k

It is according to legal and medical definitions.

Griffin
03-08-2013, 02:03 AM
If someone gets fucked up and causes property or bodily harm to another they are held liable.

why should an infant have to pay for their parents lack of responsibility.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2013, 11:56 AM
That's just silly. It's already illegal after 6 months in most cases, so we aren't talking about if their are limits to choice or not, because limits already exist. It's a matter of deciding what the right limit should be. Roe v Wade even said it is limited to before the fetus is viable, which at the time was about 6-7 months. It's been 40 years since then! Medical advances have changed viability to considerably earlier. So even by that standard the cut off should be earlier than it is now.

My position has been consistent and it happens to agree with the time frame in the article. Keep it safe and legal and limited to the first trimester.

So try making a reasonable argument. When you start blabbering about back alleys and hangers, don't expect anything less than a snarky reply.

Yes, because we all know from past experience that when the government imposes their will and start slowly eroding people's rights, they NEVER EVER take it any farther than the initial law. Maybe you should take off your rose colored glasses. And I would think you would know better watching the gun ban fight roll on forward.

And of course let's not get into how the anti-smoking brigade keeps eroding the rights of smokers away slowly but surely. But you go on believing whatever you want.

I'm done with this debate because it always ends up the same.

Acid Trip
03-08-2013, 03:17 PM
You know you are a Libertarian when...

You feel bad for smokers (even though you are a non-smoker) because their rights are being eroded away.

Welcome to the club Lance.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mXfzITU.jpg

FBD
03-08-2013, 06:18 PM
fkn travesty he didnt get the nomination

PorkChopSandwiches
03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
sure is.