PDA

View Full Version : Not even Hawaii spared winter's wrath

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
By HLNtv.com Staff

http://i.imgur.com/pkQ7M9O.jpg

Snow piled up on the Hawaiian volcano Mauna Kea over the weekend, making travel treacherous and forcing a road closure, according to affiliate KHNL.

The wintry conditions prevented one family from granting a loved one's final request.

"It was her wishes to come to the first snow, the first good snow this year," Waimea resident Michael Thomas told KHNL. He planned to spread his mother's ashes on the mountain.

"Part of her always wanted to be up Mauna Kea. We got her ashes in here with some flowers from Waimea and hope to get up there and make her happy."

While not exactly an everyday thing, it can snow on the 13,800-foot volcano pretty much anytime.

"Storms can occur at any month of the year," said Stewart Hunter, general manager, Mauna Kea Observatory Support Services. "A couple years ago, we had snow in June over Kamehameha Day weekend."

FBD
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I could dig living in hawaii. fookin expensive though.

Acid Trip
03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I could dig living in hawaii. fookin expensive though.

You have no idea. My parents bought a 3 br / 2 bath house with a pool (1700 sq ft) on Oahu in the late 70's for $125,000.

They sold it after their 4 year deployment for $325,000. That same house is now valued at $1.25 million.

FBD
03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
:lol: I was just there year before last, 'course I have an idea :razz: I dont doubt that sich one bit!!!