PDA

View Full Version : Prosecutors: Indiana pastor told girl Jesus sanctioned sexual relationship

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
By Carlos Sadovi - Chicago Tribune reporter

http://i.imgur.com/hF6CicQ.jpg

A former pastor of a northwest Indiana mega-church who has admitted having a sexual relationship with an underage parishioner exchanged hundreds of text messages with the girl and told her Jesus Christ sanctioned their relationship, prosecutors say.

The messages are quoted in a memorandum from prosecutors as they argue for a 10-year prison sentence for Jack A. Schaap, who has pleaded guilty to federal charges that he took a minor across state lines with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity.

The memorandum, filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Hammond, details how Schaap, 55, "groomed" the girl into having sex with him while he was pastor at the First Baptist Church of Hammond and was counseling her. The girl had turned 17 when the incidents were happening, according to prosecutors.

Schaap wrote the girl, "You opened your heart wide to me -- you made me more than a Pastor/Rescuer -- you made me your friend your confidant, your beloved. You gave me your trust, your heart, your love, + your affection," according to the memo.

Schaap continued that their relationship was sanctioned by God and he referred to their "fantasy talk" during a counseling session. "You have affectionately spoken of being 'my wife.' That is exactly what Christ desires for us. He wants to marry us + become eternal lovers!"

Prosecutors and Schaap's attorney agreed on a plea that would sentence Schaap to 10 years in prison and place him under court supervision for another 10 years on his release.

Schaap served as pastor of the 15,000-member Hammond church and as superintendent of its schools before being fired last summer. He had led the church since 2001.

The girl was sent to him for counseling because she had exhibited "self-destructive" behavior, according to prosecutors, who say Schaap took advantage of his role.

Between June 1 and July 30 Schaap took her to Illinois and to Michigan "with the intent that she engage in sexual activity," according to court documents.

In the sentencing memorandum, prosecutors said they had recovered photographs of Schaap and the girl taken in his Crete home and at a Michigan summer home. Prosecutors said the two had sex in his office while a youth conference was underway at the church in July 2012.

The two exchanged 637 text messages and 25 telephone calls between June 21 and July 21, prosecutors said.

Schaap was fired from the church after he admitted to adultery and "improper behavior" with the teenager, leading a board of deacons to fire him, church officials said.

Schaap admitted to the relationship but said he was suffering from "extreme stress, exhaustion, depression, burn-out and several other medical maladies."

He is scheduled to be sentenced on March 20 in U.S. District Court in Hammond.

RBP
03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
:-k I have to think about this one. They are saying that is was legal for him to have sex with her in Indiana (age of consent is 16) but against the law to transport her across state lines with the intent to have sex?? The implication is they didn't have sex on the trip - the OP says in the office at the church, but doesn't say the road trip. :-k

So the position of authority laws must not apply to Pastors in Indiana?

Gosh... this one is complicated, especially for a 10-year sentence.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2013, 11:32 AM
How is this any more complicated than a teacher-student relationship? :-s

The pastor is in a position of authority over the underage parishioner....that makes him guilty of statutory rape, end of.

Pony
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM

The pastor is in a position of authority over the underage parishioner....that makes him guilty of statutory rape, end of.

I disagree, A student/teacher relationship is not sanctioned by Jesus.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM

:doh:

Pony
03-15-2013, 11:54 AM
:lol:

RBP
03-15-2013, 01:17 PM

I don't disagree, but Indiana law apparently does. In a brief review I can't find where a Pastor is covered under any special relationship law and he wasn't charged with that. If Indiana had a law covering it, I am sure he would have been charged with it. She was above the age of consent. He is only charged with transporting her across state lines with intent. So essentially he's facing 10 years for a thought crime.

In another post today, a teacher who was banging a student of legal age and got pregnant is facing 4 months. Huh?

RBP
03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I reread the other story (pregnant teacher) - there is no indication that she's facing any criminal charges. The relationship was 4 months not the punishment. So she gets nothing and this guy... and I emphasize GUY... gets 10 years. Oh good.

Noraf45
03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
I reread the other story (pregnant teacher) - there is no indication that she's facing any criminal charges. The relationship was 4 months not the punishment. So she gets nothing and this guy... and I emphasize GUY... gets 10 years. Oh good.

Although still wrong, in the other story the student was 18, so that may be a big factor.

RBP
03-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Although still wrong, in the other story the student was 18, so that may be a big factor.

Huh? why? the age of consent in Indiana is 16.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-15-2013, 05:33 PM

:rofl:

Hal-9000
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM

this ^^

ministers, police officers, social workers, teachers......they are supposed to hold positions of trust where children can be left with them for extended periods...

Hal-9000
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
I don't disagree.....

:beatdown:

you agree ffs! :x

minz
03-15-2013, 07:07 PM
this ^^

ministers, police officers, social workers, teachers......they are supposed to hold positions of trust where children can be left with them for extended periods...

And also the fact that he was using his position to influence her by saying Jesus Christ sanctioned their relationship, if that isn't a clear abuse of his position then I dont know what is.

Hal-9000
03-15-2013, 07:10 PM
priests, ministers...any parishioner who pulls that shit should be defrocked and flailed publicly IMO....no joke, I can't think of anything more disgusting

RBP
03-15-2013, 10:42 PM
No one disagrees that he's an asshole, but if that were illegal, there are a lot of us that would be in jail. 8-[

I was questioning whether his actions fit the legal definitions. If his only crime was transporting her across state lines with vile intent, should he get 10 years? You can't make the punishment worse just because he's a dick.

Noraf45
03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't know, there could be more going on here than is being reported if he and his legal counsel agreed to a 10 year plea. If it was simply as minor (no pun intended) as this seems, you'd think they'd fight it or take a much lesser plea bargain.