PDA

View Full Version : CNN Upset Over the 'Ruined Lives' of Steubenville Rapists, Barely Mentions Victim

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/9J83ClW.png

On Sunday, CNN broke the news of a guilty verdict in the highly-publicized rape case in Steubenville, Ohio.

Judge Thomas Lipps ruled that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, were guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious, reports CrooksandLiars.com.

According to The Atlantic Wire, Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21, while Mays could be locked up until age 24.

CNN host Candy Crowley and reporter Poppy Harlow lamented on how the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent little time on the 16-year-old victim who was brutally gang-raped.

Crowley said that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been, while Harlow said it was “incredibly difficult” to see “these two young men, who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students, literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”

“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” said Harlow.

CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom while Harlow added: “I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement. It was very difficult to watch.”

Crowley then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan: “What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?”

“There’s always that moment of just, lives are destroyed,” Callan lamented. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law. That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

Yt Trash
03-18-2013, 11:48 AM
:facepalm:

FBD
03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
not to be cynical, but I would consider "drunk-passed-out non-consensual sex" to be far less brutal than "awake gang rape." but hey, maybe that's just me.

as usual, 40% of the story on something like this.

Noraf45
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I heard on the radio this morning they got a minimum 1 year in juvenile prison with a maximum of serving until they were 21. 1 year for rape seems like they got a good deal. Of course, if they hadn't taken pictures the whole time the girl might never have even known she was raped, so maybe the lenient punishment is more for being dumb as a stump.

RBP
03-18-2013, 01:48 PM
not to be cynical, but I would consider "drunk-passed-out non-consensual sex" to be far less brutal than "awake gang rape." but hey, maybe that's just me.

as usual, 40% of the story on something like this.

idk dude. Banging a passed out girl is pretty brutal.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-18-2013, 01:59 PM
From what I heard they fingered her. I wouldnt call it a gang rape, it seems a bit extreame

FBD
03-18-2013, 02:08 PM

the decay of our language is quite a sight. words no longer mean what they used to. brutality denotes harsh violence - while raping a sleeping passed out drunk woman is immoral, illegal, etc etc, it is not by intrinsic definition brutal. did she wake up and feel like she just had her entire body beaten? no. in fact she didnt even know she was raped until she saw pictures. that does not denote brutality, that's just fkd up illegal sexual activity, not brutalizing someone.

RBP
03-18-2013, 02:16 PM
the decay of our language is quite a sight. words no longer mean what they used to. brutality denotes harsh violence - while raping a sleeping passed out drunk woman is immoral, illegal, etc etc, it is not by intrinsic definition brutal. did she wake up and feel like she just had her entire body beaten? no. in fact she didnt even know she was raped until she saw pictures. that does not denote brutality, that's just fkd up illegal sexual activity, not brutalizing someone.

My language is not in decay, thank you very much. You can rationalize it all you want. It's a brutal act.

FBD
03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
what society accepts in in decay, your usage reflects that. nothing personal, bro :)

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2013, 02:18 PM

WTF are you on? :-s

Rape is a brutal act period, end of.

FBD
03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
I rest my case.

RBP
03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
what society accepts in in decay, your usage reflects that. nothing personal, bro :)

You can't make a personal comment and then explain it by saying "nothing personal." You have a really ugly face... nothing personal. Nope, doesn't work.

Are you suggesting that society should accept the raping of passed out people?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
I rest my case.

Dude, you have no case to rest...if your wife or daughter or mother was raped while she was passed out/unconscious, would you shrug and say, "oh well, it could be worse, she could have been awake".

:rolleyes:

FBD
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
that you dont understand my case doesnt mean I dont have one. if you really want me to get out the circles and draw some venn diagrams for you, I'll make it, but my point that society cant even give two shits about the words it uses to describe things stands like 10 motherfuckers. whether we're discussing something heinous, brutal, or heinous but not necessarily brutal...ffs why do I split hairs with people, they stopped giving a shit forever ago.

Loser
03-18-2013, 07:37 PM

We caught a buddy of ours doing this to my friends younger sister.

Lets just say he'll never walk or chew food normally again, ever. ;)

FBD
03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
We caught a buddy of ours doing this to my friends younger sister.

Lets just say he'll never walk or chew food normally again, ever. ;)

an appropriately brutal response ;)

RBP
03-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Wait, they only fingered her? :-k

DemonGeminiX
03-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Apparently, she got drunk and passed out at a party. Two dudes fingered her and that constitutes rape under Ohio law (any type of penetration with a person who's unable to give consent), they and other party goers took pictures and videos with their cellphones or whatever, and they and others posted all about it on several social media outlets during and after the act. She was passed out drunk during and didn't find out about it until she saw it posted online.

But this isn't the end of it. There's allegations of an attempted cover up by the high school or whoever because the two guys were star football players and it looks like the prosecutors are going after whoever tried to cover it up.

DemonGeminiX
03-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Oh yeah, two other teenage girls in the town threatened the victim over Twitter, I guess for being a snitch or whatever, so those two girls were arrested and they have to face the music for that.

DemonGeminiX
03-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Man, some of these kids are ruthless, sending the victim death threats and shit.

RBP
03-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Craziness.

Loser
03-19-2013, 03:50 AM
an appropriately brutal response ;)

Only three things set me off.

Violence towards women and children, hypocrites, and the third I won't mention.

Those three things make me angry.

But violence towards women and children make me psychotic, and you better believe it's gotten me in trouble before.