PDA

View Full Version : American bankruptcy trustee questions $20M severance for CEO

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Reuters

http://i.imgur.com/DZVbpz0.jpg

The U.S. trustee overseeing American Airlines' bankruptcy has asked the carrier to justify its offer of $19.9 million in severance pay to Chief Executive Tom Horton, part of compensation linked to its merger with US Airways Group .

Trustee Tracy Hope Davis said in a filing on Friday to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York that American had not explained why that level of severance pay and "sweeping changes" to various employee pay programs were permissible under the bankruptcy code.

The merger of American parent AMR Corp. and US Airways, announced on Feb. 14 and subject to various approvals, would create the world's largest air carrier.

Horton, who became American chairman and CEO at the time of the carrier's Chapter 11 filing in November 2011, is due to serve as chairman of the new American Airlines Group Inc. until the first annual meeting of shareholders in 2014. US Airways CEO Doug Parker will be CEO of the merged company.

American spokesman Andy Backover said in a statement the carrier did not believe the objection filed by the U.S. Trustee's office had merit. The matter is scheduled to be considered by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court on March 27.

The company said the proposed employee arrangements were found to be reasonable by pay consultants retained by its unsecured creditors committee.

It added that the payments would "motivate a strong management team during the integration process" to make the merger a success.

The merger is expected to close in the third quarter.

FBD
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
This guaranteed bonus, guaranteed severance shit is beyond ridiculous. You oversaw the complete fking up of your company, you shouldnt deserve SHIT!!!! Same crap happens with the execs at my place...they fk the company over, then take home million dollar bonuses every year and then an 8 figure severance.

I simply do not understand how stuff like this flies in board meetings.

Acid Trip
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
This guaranteed bonus, guaranteed severance shit is beyond ridiculous. You oversaw the complete fking up of your company, you shouldnt deserve SHIT!!!! Same crap happens with the execs at my place...they fk the company over, then take home million dollar bonuses every year and then an 8 figure severance.

I simply do not understand how stuff like this flies in board meetings.

The board is made up of company execs and CEO/execs from other companies so they watch out for each other. It's a good ole boys/girls club the likes of which you've never seen.

FBD
03-19-2013, 02:14 PM
That's pretty much what I was lamenting. Its problematic because a lot of rich people got there legitimately and playing by the rules, but then you have these fuckos that say fk everyone I am going to collude with whomever I may and rape as much money from wherever I can, for as long as I can.

Acid Trip
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
That's pretty much what I was lamenting. Its problematic because a lot of rich people got there legitimately and playing by the rules, but then you have these fuckos that say fk everyone I am going to collude with whomever I may and rape as much money from wherever I can, for as long as I can.

It varies a lot from company to company but most are quite incestuous.

My CEO makes (salary + stock options) less than 30 times the lowest workers pay. You know, the amount CEO's used to make before they got all high and mighty with salaries 400x that of the lowest worker.