PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts principal calls off Honors Night because it could be 'devastating' to students who missed mark

Teh One Who Knocks
03-20-2013, 05:02 PM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/UWVaiHs.jpg

A Massachusetts principal has been criticized for canceling his school's Honors Night, saying it could be 'devastating' to the students who worked hard, but fell short of the grades.

MyFoxBoston.com reports that David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents last week of his plan to eliminate the event.

"The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients' families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade-point average," Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents, the station reported.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

Some parents disagree with his philosophy.

"It's been a tradition in Ipswich, and you're very proud as a parent to see your child, as well as some of the other children who made, really, some great efforts," Dave Morin, a parent, told the station.

Fabrizio says he plans to include the honors ceremony with a previously planned end of the year assembly where students will be recognized in front of the entire student body.

Noraf45
03-20-2013, 05:16 PM
This kind of crap is the same reason my daughter couldn't hand out invitations to her birthday party. "The ones who don't get invited might feel left out."

Sometimes you try and don't succeed. Welcome to life. Get over it and try harder next time.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Everybody's a winner :nono:

KevinD
03-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Dude in the inset photo looks like a Mob boss....Hmmmmm

redred
03-20-2013, 05:35 PM
so you work your ass off and get no reward know wonder the whole world is going down the shitter

Noraf45
03-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Everybody's a whiner :nono:

Fixed.

If the guy thinks "Honor's Night" is unfair, then why doesn't he get rid of "Honor's" entirely? Just hand out pass/fail grades, or better yet, just pass everybody so that no one feels bad and no one gets to benefit from working harder? :banghead:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
so you work your ass off and get no reward know wonder the whole world is going down the shitter

:hand: You "possibly" worked hard, but didnt achieve your goal. Now everyone who did can suffer. :facepalm:

RBP
03-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Progressives know best, people. :hand:

perrhaps
03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
:thumbsup:
Fixed.

If the guy thinks "Honor's Night" is unfair, then why doesn't he get rid of "Honor's" entirely? Just hand out pass/fail grades, or better yet, just pass everybody so that no one feels bad and no one gets to benefit from working harder? :banghead:

Solution; have a "Really, really tried hard, but aren't fucking smart enough to go to 'Honor's Night' Night.:thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
:lol:

Tryrs Night

Teh One Who Knocks
03-20-2013, 06:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Nvx5Cqh.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
:lol:

MrsM
03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
:facepalm: this is getting out of hand

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM
My daughter just made honor roll, we showed up on Monday and they paraded the whole class into the room. Awarded the kids who made honor roll, and encouraged the others to try to earn it them selves next semester. Amazingly not one person was crying. :roll:

redred
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Mine gets a small reward for every 25 books she reads , so far she's done over 175 books and still loves going up in front of her whole school year to get another reward , some in her class haven't even reached 25 books

Acid Trip
03-20-2013, 07:05 PM
While we are at it let's ban...

1) All sports
2) The Olympics (see #1)
3) All competitions, especially those with prizes (like Pulitzer, Nobel)
4) Different kinds of cars
5) Different kind of clothes
6) Different schools
7) Jobs
8) Currency

Some people can't afford cars so nobody should have them. Some people go to private school but we can't allow that. It's not fair that some people get paid more than others so we'd have to do away with jobs and currency.

We just can't allow any situation where one person is shown to be better than another! Think of the children! :roll:

Liberalism = The world's most prolific mental disease that goes unnoticed and without a cure.

Muddy
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Why isn't my macaroni art masterpiece on the Fridge? :mad:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Its on my fridge

Muddy
03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
:huggles:

Pony
03-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Maybe they should just let everyone stay home and give them all A's so that way the homeschooled kids don't feel left out and those that have been expelled don't get their feelings hurt.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/koC9XVdl.jpg

Pony
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
FFS, what every happened to preparing children for the real world?

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
FFS, what every happened to preparing children for the real world?

My kids will be prepared, its not all fun and games in our house....for them anyway

Pony
03-20-2013, 07:39 PM
My kids will be prepared, its not all fun and games in our house....for them anyway

:shock: but you're a parent! Aren't you supposed to leave all that in the hands of the teachers? :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
:lol: We should, especially in CA :lol:

Pony
03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh god, I can't imagine some of the crap they must be preaching.... It's bad enough here in OH.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 07:52 PM
One of my kids goes to private school, the other in public. The public school is ranked 9/10 in CA, its actually pretty good. I really cant complain.

Muddy
03-20-2013, 08:13 PM
The public school is ranked 9/10 in CA, its actually pretty good.

I bet you'd be shocked if you saw the public schools in my area... :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Out her it depends where you live, they are shitty in the ghettos but nice in the suburbs.

Muddy
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
My kids love it..

http://i.imgur.com/lurKTPL.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
That looks like my house

perrhaps
03-20-2013, 08:53 PM
I know.

Hal-9000
03-20-2013, 11:44 PM
ok here's a cup of truth tea...

We gave out honors every reporting period. So 4 report cards a year, 4 chances to get what we called first or second class honors.

From grades 4 through grade 9 I got honors consistently (believe it or don't) and I got teased by every friend that I had, because they made you haul home the certificate with the report card to be signed by your folks.

So I started trying to hide them from my friends and eventually quit trying in school by the time grades 10, 11 came around. I regret doing that to this day and if I could go back, I would seriously tape that honors certificate to my ass each time I got one and tell my friends - Kiss my honor-getting ass you buncha mooks...I can't help it if you're too stupid to get one of these, I'm not :dance:

FBD
03-21-2013, 01:12 PM
yeah it was awesome having my son tell me that was basically why he stopped trying in school like friggin 6, 8 years ago. fkn moron kids :x

Acid Trip
03-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Kids just need motivation to do well in school. My parents paid me for good grades.

A = $25
B = $15
C = Hour of mandatory study time every night
D or F = Don't bother going home

It worked because I got straight A's all the way through to my Masters Degree.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2013, 01:21 PM
:-s

Or, kids are just taught by their parents that need to do well in school and they will get good grades. I got paid nothing for my grades and I managed to be on the National Honor Society for my 16 quarters of high school and I graduated 6th in my class.

Acid Trip
03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
:-s

Or, kids are just taught by their parents that need to do well in school and they will get good grades. I got paid nothing for my grades and I managed to be on the National Honor Society for my 16 quarters of high school and I graduated 6th in my class.

So your motivation was to follow your parents wishes and make them happy.

Do what your parents ask to please them, get paid, get extra playtime, they are all motivation techniques.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Nothing wrong with incentives to encourage your kids to be successful, its win/win IMO. You see it in business all the time.