PDA

View Full Version : Maryland school district outlaws hugging, homemade food, pushing kids on swings

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2013, 11:31 AM
The Daily Caller

http://i.imgur.com/uiJWSfk.jpg

The public education system in Maryland has officially gone off the deep end.

The Old Line State — where kids have been suspended for making guns with their fingers and with toaster pastries — now boasts a school district that prohibits hugging and homemade food in public elementary schools for anyone except a parent’s own children.

Parents must also register to enter the playground and they can’t push anyone except their own kids on the swings.

The Enterprise, a member of Southern Maryland Newspapers, has the story.

Officials with St. Mary’s County Public Schools say the new rules are necessary to provide a generally safe environment.

A committee composed of parents and elementary school principals created the regulations after a handful of meetings last year. Other new rules include a ban on ad-hoc parent-teacher conferences. The distribution of birthday invitations on school grounds is also now verboten.

“We’re not violating anybody’s rights,” Superintendent Michael Martirano told The Enterprise.

“We think it’s the right balance between safety and parental involvement,” Kelly Hall, a school district official, explained to The Enterprise.

“At the same time, parents were expressing some concerns,” Hall added.

“It is sad that it needs to be done for the safety of our children,” parent Sherry Whittles told The Enterprise. Whittles added that she agrees with the new rules.

“I think this is horrible,” school board member Cathy Allen opined to The Enterprise. “Elements of this are going to decrease parent involvement.”

For whatever reason, Maryland has been ground zero for school districts propounding goofy laws lately. Until now, though, those laws seem to have been limited to restricting things that represent guns but aren’t actually anything like real guns.

At Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Silver Spring, a six-year-old boy was suspended for making the universal kid sign for a gun, pointing at another student and saying “pow.”

A second-grader in Baltimore was suspended for two days because his teacher thought he shaped a strawberry, pre-baked toaster pastry into something resembling a gun.

In response to the infamous breakfast pastry incident, a Maryland state senator has crafted a bill to curb the zeal of public school officials who are tempted to suspend students as young as kindergarten for having things — or eating things — that aren’t actually anything like real guns.

Pony
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I think they shoud remove the swings altogether, those things are dangerous! We must protect the children!!

Also ban gym class and all sports activities. :tup:

perrhaps
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm going to buy stock in companies that make bubble wrap.

Acid Trip
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
:facepalm:

RBP
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm going to hug someone else's kid and give them a cookie I made while I talk to a teacher. :tup:

KevinD
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm going to hug someone else's kid and give them a cookie I made while I talk to a teacher. :tup:

Then we'll be reading about RBP being arrested for pedophilia.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
When is enough enough

Noraf45
03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
It's all ridiculous, but I would like to say that: A) I don't want someone else hugging my kid, and B) I never want to be pushing someone else's kid on the swing anyway. The homemade foods and birthday invitations bother me to no end, though.

KevinD
03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Read "Atlas Shrugged" and you'll get an idea.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM
It's all ridiculous, but I would like to say that: A) I don't want someone else hugging my kid, and B) I never want to be pushing someone else's kid on the swing anyway. The homemade foods and birthday invitations bother me to no end, though.

Are they saying parents cant hug other kids, or kids cant hug other kids. The parent side I guess I could see, but kids hugging each other I dont have an issue with

KevinD
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Soo, if I was to be at school with my child, and I saw yours crying (maybe from falling off swing) you wouldn't want me to comfort your child? Okay then. What is wrong with pushing someone else's child on a swing. I've done it many, many times when my girls were small.

Hal-9000
03-21-2013, 03:47 PM
so I picture a child.....emotionally bereft because no one hugs him, 50 lbs overweight because he eats all processed junk, and sitting perfectly still on a swing crying, because no one is allowed to push him

:lol: how sad

KevinD
03-21-2013, 03:51 PM
so I picture a child.....emotionally bereft because no one hugs him, 50 lbs overweight because he eats all processed junk, and sitting perfectly still on a swing crying, because no one is allowed to push him

:lol: how sad

Looking in the mirror again? :lol:

School can be a rough place for some kids, no doubt. I've been on both ends of being picked on, and picking on others. TBH, I believe that going though it is a part of life. Obviously I don't condone excessive bullying etc. but, a child also needs to learn the no, the world really isn't a warm safe place full of rainbows and fairy dust.

Noraf45
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
You can comfort them without hugging them. Besides, why wouldn't I or my wife be there already? If I came up to school and saw some stranger hugging my kid I'd be over there fast.

The pushing on the swings thing is just something I personally don't like to do. I push my own kids on the swing. If you want to be pushed, where are your own parents? I have pushed a few kids on the swings but only after their parents have either asked me to or told me it was ok.

Hal-9000
03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Looking in the mirror again? :lol:

School can be a rough place for some kids, no doubt. I've been on both ends of being picked on, and picking on others. TBH, I believe that going though it is a part of life. Obviously I don't condone excessive bullying etc. but, a child also needs to learn the no, the world really isn't a warm safe place full of rainbows and fairy dust.

bite me, at least we had swings

must have been tough for you playing on the combine and the thresher :lol:

KevinD
03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
bite me, at least we had swings

must have been tough for you playing on the combine and the thresher :lol:

Oi! We had swings too! Had to do something with the old tires. :lol:
Besides, my family didn't have a combine..we were too poor. Had to pick things by hand yo!

KevinD
03-21-2013, 04:03 PM
You can comfort them without hugging them. Besides, why wouldn't I or my wife be there already? If I came up to school and saw some stranger hugging my kid I'd be over there fast.

The pushing on the swings thing is just something I personally don't like to do. I push my own kids on the swing. If you want to be pushed, where are your own parents? I have pushed a few kids on the swings but only after their parents have either asked me to or told me it was ok.

I can see your point, sorta, but I'm a touching type person. I hug my friends, their kids, and strangers all the time. I'm aware that this makes some uncomfortable, and will try to not do so to them, but I feel very sorry for those who grew up not liking to be hugged.

Not calling you out, twas legitimate question on my part, as I didn't understand your feelings about what you wrote.

Hal-9000
03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Oi! We had swings too! Had to do something with the old tires. :lol:
Besides, my family didn't have a combine..we were too poor. Had to pick things by hand yo!

you said oi and yo in the same post...wtf man, British Ghetto slang with a drawl??? :lol:

*gives Kev a hug*

Muddy
03-21-2013, 04:16 PM

:rbp:

FBD
03-21-2013, 05:40 PM
homemade fkn food??? sorry kiddies, only the ultra processed pink slime for yous!

KevinD
03-22-2013, 02:54 AM
you said oi and yo in the same post...wtf man, British Ghetto slang with a drawl??? :lol:

*gives Kev a hug*
What can I say, I'm a travilin man.... :lol: :hug: