PDA

View Full Version : Universe is older than previously thought, new study shows

Teh One Who Knocks
03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
By Irene Klotz | Reuters

http://i.imgur.com/ypKLNbt.jpg

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - Closer scrutiny of radiation left over from the creation of the universe shows the Big Bang took place about 13.8 billion years ago, 100 million years earlier than previous estimates, scientists said on Thursday.

The findings are among the first results from analysis of data collected by the European Space Agency's Planck spacecraft, which is providing the most detailed look to date at the remnant microwave radiation that permeates the universe.

This relic radiation was first detected in 1964 and later mapped by two NASA spacecraft - COBE, launched in 1989, and WMAP, which followed two years later. With even greater sensitivity, Planck has picked out details of tiny temperature variations in the so-called cosmic microwave background.

The fluctuations, which differ by only about 100-millionths of a degree, correspond to slightly more dense regions of space, places that later gave rise to the stars and galaxies that fill the universe.

"It's as if we've gone from a standard television to a high-definition television. New and important details have become crystal clear," Paul Hertz, NASA's director of astrophysics, told reporters on a conference call.

Overall, the new data fits well with existing models of how the universe evolved, but it presents some new puzzles as well.

"The variations from place to place in the map that Planck has made tell us new things about what happened just 10 nano-nano-nano-nano seconds after the Big Bang when the universe expanded by 100 trillion, trillion times," said Charles Lawrence, Planck project scientist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"We can see the subtle effects of gravitational pulls from literally everything in the universe."

Compared to the previous best measurements, the universe is a little older and, surprisingly, is expanding a little more slowly than currently accepted standards.

Plank's data also shows that ordinary matter - the stuff that makes up stars, galaxies, planets and everything visible - accounts for a relatively tiny 4.9 percent of the universe.

Dark matter, which does not interact with light but can be detected by its gravitational pull, comprises 26.8 percent of the universe, nearly one-fifth more than previous estimates.

The rest of the universe is dark energy, a mysterious and recently discovered force that defies gravity and is responsible for speeding up the universe's rate of expansion. New results from Planck show dark energy accounting for 69 percent of the universe, slightly less than previously estimated.

The research is the fruit of Planck's first 15 months on orbit. Additional information, including details of how the universe's early light was polarized, are expected next year.

FBD
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Compared to the previous best measurements, the universe is a little older and, surprisingly, is expanding a little more slowly than currently accepted standards.

:-k this is the bigger news here...more details!!!

Goofy
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Closer scrutiny of radiation left over from the creation of the universe shows the Big Bang took place about 13.8 billion years ago, 100 million years earlier than previous estimates, scientists said on Thursday.

And how much funding money was wasted to find out that pointless information? :-k

FBD
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
about 2 billion for both planck and the herschel mission combined, they launched 'em both at once to save on costs, and the costs were split between ESA and NASA, (dont know %s though.) its very tough to get more accurate about the big bang, so whenever we get closer, it is good, it helps refine the high energy physics theories because they have to coincide with the astronomical.

Goofy
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
2 Billion? Fuck me, they should be exploring other planets for signs of life instead of wasting time figuring out exactly when something happened billions of years ago [-(

FBD
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
aw cmon, jamie dimon (JPM) lost more than that a couple months ago wheelin on the stock market :lol: these spacecraft are going to give us tons of data for decades and we can continue to develop our understanding of the universe - that's a million times better an investment than carbon credits, the eurozone, bank bailouts...

Acid Trip
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
You mean the science was off?! The global warming crowed assures me that never happens! I've been bamboozled!

FBD
03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
as uncommon as it is, sometimes it happens - like with them just releasing as admittance that the algorithm used to claim the preposterous ice losses in greenland were indeed flawed and produced a very high result.

and other times, it takes a professional statistician like steve mcintyre to point out how badly you've misused and abused statistical methods, like with the hockey stick (and recently there was another paper released that was basically hockey stick II and he proved it wrong, wrong wrong :lol: )

DemonGeminiX
03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
This is a good thing. Science is constantly revising and improving itself. That's why there are very few laws in science: we always acknowledge that, with theories, it's quite possible that there's room for improvement. And we never know until we stumble on the something that actually improves on the theory. I have a feeling that we're going to be revising things over and over again as time moves on and we can get further out into space, away from what we're used to. We are limited by the technology of our time. We can only imagine what it looks like outside the solar system, while we're standing on the third rock from the sun. It's one perspective where there could be thousands of perspectives that we're not seeing yet. Hell, we've just dropped the idea of the bow shock when Voyager 1 didn't detect it, so who knows what we're going to find when we get out of our solar system, and further, out of our galaxy?

This is really exciting. It seems we're stumbling on newer things all the time as of late. I only lament the things we might miss after we die and the generations beyond ours will find. This is stuff I really would love to see.

FBD
03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
you'll be there, dont worry, you just have to go through the adolescent phase and re-learn every trip back. if you want something in the future, spread it around now so that it is prospering when you return. (that dont work with money tho :lol: )

DemonGeminiX
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
:huh:

But... I'm... not... Shirley MacLaine...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ftlvJhf.jpg

FBD
03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
I love screwing with you guys. Its right in that class of stuff you tell people and they dont believe and think you're crazy. Yall just dont believe because being born = a big brainwash, and you have to try and "relearn" everything. Which is why some things you learn faster and easier than others, because "you've already learned it before."

Hal-9000
03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
there will be some red faces when they trace the origin of the original explosion and discover it was the remnants of ANOTHER universe that exploded :doh:

Acid Trip
03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
there will be some red faces when they trace the origin of the original explosion and discover it was the remnants of ANOTHER universe that exploded :doh:

I like to think that when a black hole swallows enough material it creates an infinitely dense mass which explodes (think Big Bang but in a different dimension) thus creating a new Universe with all the material it swallowed from the old Universe.

We know that lots of galaxies revolve around super black holes and sometimes they even collide. We also know that matter cannot be created or destroyed.

So where is all that matter going?

FBD
03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
I dunno, that's kind of assuming the wave function of the bh singularity does not absorb everything that comes inside the event horizon. tear all of the particles apart until its just strings, chomp spaghetti.

Hal-9000
03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
I like to think that when a black hole swallows enough material it creates an infinitely dense mass which explodes (think Big Bang but in a different dimension) thus creating a new Universe with all the material it swallowed from the old Universe.

We know that lots of galaxies revolve around super black holes and sometimes they even collide. We also know that matter cannot be created or destroyed.

So where is all that matter going?

this part of science is so speculative that I'm sure it will change 50 times in the next century.....until we find the actual center of the universe and see that it's a like a big drain and matter is spiraling away to 'the other place' :lol: (anti-universe)

DemonGeminiX
03-22-2013, 09:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvvq2PsgyHA