PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Dies in Georgia After Being Mauled by 7 Dogs

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
The Associated Press

Police in coastal Georgia say a toddler has died after being attacked by seven dogs.

Bryan County Sheriff Clyde Smith tells the Savannah Morning News the 18-month-old girl was mauled in the yard Wednesday evening by dogs her family owned. Authorities say the unidentified girl's grandmother was asleep when she heard a commotion and saw the girl being attacked as she looked out of her window.

Authorities say the dogs, pit bulls and pit bull mixes, have been euthanized by Bryan County Animal Control.

It was unclear Wednesday night if charges would be filed.

minz
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
How sad poor kid, there was one such event here in Manchester this week.

Muddy
03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
*sigh*

perrhaps
03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
As much as a dog lover that I am, there's no excuse for this.

Noraf45
03-28-2013, 08:14 PM
:sad:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-28-2013, 08:17 PM
There is no excuse for an 18 month old to be left unattended in the front yard without dogs. But, lets kill all the dogs

redred
03-28-2013, 08:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HYmafdr.jpg

Hal-9000
03-28-2013, 08:21 PM
There is no excuse for an 18 month old to be left unattended in the front yard without dogs. But, lets kill all the dogs

word up Stella

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2013, 09:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HYmafdr.jpg

Yes, because there are absolutely NO statistics to prove that pit bulls are dangerous :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2013, 09:09 PM

Nice straw man argument :thumbsup:

deebakes
03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
:rip: dogs

PorkChopSandwiches
03-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Nice straw man argument :thumbsup:

So this can't be chalked up to irresponsible parent/dog owners?

perrhaps
03-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes, because there are absolutely NO statistics to prove that pit bulls are dangerous :tup:

Pit bulls, like guns, are a threat to society when they're owned by irresponsible people. Pit bulls were at least partially responsible for 23 of the 38 dog bite fatalities that occurred in the U.S.A in 2012, according to dogsbite.org.

Those 38 deaths are just a wee bit less than the number of Americans killed by firearms last year. Shall we ban legal, responsible ownership of guns? How about cars?

I own a Rottweiler. In her 10+ years of companionship, each and every time she encounters a toddler, she has been trained by me and my wife to immediately assume a submissive stance. If a child, or adult, bothers her, she leaves the immediate area.

I also own a handgun, which has never been fired in anger. It's kept in a safe place so a child couldn't find it and accidentally use it.

Both my dog and my handgun are there at least partially to protect my house and family. I've never heard any cogent argument as to why I shouldn't have both of them.

Noilly Pratt
03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
I own a Rottweiler. In her 10+ years of companionship, each and every time she encounters a toddler, she has been trained by me and my wife to immediately assume a submissive stance. If a child, or adult, bothers her, she leaves the immediate area.

I'm really not saying this to stir the pot...I would like to know...how does one train a dog to assume a submissive stance in such circumstances? ALL dogs should know this and all owners should as well. Never owned a dog so I genuinely don't know and would like to know.

redred
03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
i'd say you'd train it with a child in the room to lie down roll on back and it gets a reward or treat when the dog see's a child,keep repeating over and over again the dog will learn , now if perrhaps was out and his house was robbed by children all that hard work would be for nothing :lol:

DemonGeminiX
03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Pure stupidity on the family's part. There's absolutely no reason any family needs to have 7 dogs of any breed whatsoever. You can't train 7 dogs effectively all at once and there's too many of them to train individually efficiently. 7 dogs aren't pets, they're a pack, and they're going to act like a wild pack, regardless of breed. Complete idiocy and irresponsibility.

deebakes
03-30-2013, 09:43 PM
dogs are out of control now that michael vick doesn't play in georgia anymore :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Pit bulls, like guns, are a threat to society when they're owned by irresponsible people. Pit bulls were at least partially responsible for 23 of the 38 dog bite fatalities that occurred in the U.S.A in 2012, according to dogsbite.org.

Those 38 deaths are just a wee bit less than the number of Americans killed by firearms last year. Shall we ban legal, responsible ownership of guns? How about cars?

I also own a handgun, which has never been fired in anger. It's kept in a safe place so a child couldn't find it and accidentally use it.

Both my dog and my handgun are there at least partially to protect my house and family. I've never heard any cogent argument as to why I shouldn't have both of them.

Let me get this straight...you are trying to compare a firearm, a tool and inanimate object to a living, breathing, thinking, unpredictable animal? Umm....okay :rolleyes:

Might as well just let people keep lions and tigers then, if you want a pet to protect your home, might as well go top of the line, because we all know that if one of them mauls someone by accident, just blame it on the owner(s) :tup:

deebakes
03-31-2013, 02:22 AM
*searches ebay for tiger and/or lion

perrhaps
03-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Let me get this straight...you are trying to compare a firearm, a tool and inanimate object to a living, breathing, thinking, unpredictable animal? Umm....okay :rolleyes:

Might as well just let people keep lions and tigers then, if you want a pet to protect your home, might as well go top of the line, because we all know that if one of them mauls someone by accident, just blame it on the owner(s) :tup:

No, I'm saying that when irresponsible people use and/or any potentially-dangerous item, bad things can, and usually will happen.

A properly trained dog is no more dangerous than a properly stored handgun.

Now a pack of seven dogs is a disaster just waiting to happen.

Happy Easter, Lance (and others)

perrhaps
03-31-2013, 09:03 AM
i'd say you'd train it with a child in the room to lie down roll on back and it gets a reward or treat when the dog see's a child,keep repeating over and over again the dog will learn , now if perrhaps was out and his house was robbed by children all that hard work would be for nothing :lol:

I'd say you're exactly right. The other thing to do with any dog is to socialize it on a daily basis with other dogs and people when it's a puppy.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-01-2013, 03:14 PM
*searches ebay for tiger and/or lion

or Bear...OH MY!

Acid Trip
04-01-2013, 03:46 PM
or Bear...OH MY!

Bears sleep too much for home defense. It'd be like hiring a Sloth as a personal trainer.

perrhaps
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Bears sleep too much for home defense. It'd be like hiring a Sloth as a personal trainer.

Or marrying my first wife, but that's another topic.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NecK4MwOfeI

Yt Trash
04-04-2013, 11:42 PM
I'll just leave this here... (http://images.bimedia.net/documents/Dog+attack+stats+with+breed+2012.pdf)