PDA

View Full Version : City makes waves by removing Easter from Easter egg hunt

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
By Denise Whitaker - KOMO News

http://i.imgur.com/eI6UAIq.jpg

SEATTLE -- For many churches and community groups, Easter weekend has historically meant Easter egg hunts, but a number of local cities have taken the controversial step of removing the word Easter.

Easter is one of the most significant celebrations in Christianity, and the idea of removing that component from the Easter egg hunts is upsetting to many.

The White House has been hosting its own Easter egg roll since 1878, and while that celebration has gone unchanged, other cities, such as Edmonds, have removed the word Easter.

In that city and others, the event is simply called and "egg hunt."

"Oh, I think they should call it an Easter Egg Hunt. That's what it is," said Pat Hughes.

In a written statement, officials from the City of Edmonds say in the spirit of being inclusive to all citizens, including non Christians, the annual celebration has been changed to the Edmonds Egg Hunt.

"The removal of specific religious references is common throughout many cities recreation departments ... We want to recognize and welcome all citizens to our events, regardless of faith," the statement reads.

That explanation doesn't hold water for many residents.

"I think it's kind of sad," said Karen Knight. "You know, I come from England, and Christmas is Christmas and Easter is Easter."

While many have reservations about the change, others believe it's a good thing.

"I don't mind that, because when you take the religious aspect out of it you include more people," said Truwyn Diaz.

Edmonds Lutheran Church is holding its own Easter egg hunt on Saturday. Pastor Julie Josund said they will roll out more than 12,000 eggs to connect with the community. If any of those families choose to join them on Easter Sunday, Josund said that's all the better.

Griffin
03-28-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if there is much religious symbolism about a rabbit hiding brightly colored eggs, but if they don't want to have an Easter Egg hunt then they can hunt their fucking eggs on Saturday instead of on Easter.

RBP
03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
"You know, I come from England, and Christmas is Christmas and Easter is Easter."

Can the UK folks confirm or deny that this PC crap doesn't happen there?

lost in melb.
03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Ooooo, you wouldn't want a non-christian Easter egg huntin'

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AB0jscEVGh4/TVBWxoqa8vI/AAAAAAAAAgI/M_rQmzdEDT0/s1600/angry-jesus.jpg

Acid Trip
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
This is why I hate the East and West coasts. They are too fucking PC about everything. Well, that and all the dumb ass liberals living there.

Coincidence? I think not.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
I wish we could just go back to the original intent of Ishtar and celebrate fertility, which is where the eggs and rabbit symbols come from

Acid Trip
03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
I wish we could just go back to the original intent of Ishtar and celebrate fertility, which is where the eggs and rabbit symbols come from

Just like the Christmas tree is a pagan ritual.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-29-2013, 04:12 PM
do you deny that?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
I just wish people would take their whiny PC bullshit complaints about holidays and shove them up their ass. :)

Acid Trip
03-29-2013, 04:14 PM
do you deny that?

If I denied it I'd be a liar. Christianity stole symbols from almost everyone, that's why it's the best. Try and keep up Porky :d

PorkChopSandwiches
03-29-2013, 04:18 PM
:rofl: