PDA

View Full Version : Royal Wedding Is Drawing a Yawn From Many Americans

AntZ
04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Royal Wedding Is Drawing a Yawn From Many Americans

By MARJORIE CONNELLY
New York Times

Published: April 22, 2011

How fascinated are Americans with Prince William’s and Kate Middleton’s nuptials next week? According to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll, not very. Only 6 percent have been following news about the wedding very closely, and an additional 22 percent are following it somewhat closely.

Women are paying much more attention to the wedding than are men, particularly older women. A third of women under 40 are following news of the wedding at least somewhat closely, as are more than 4 in 10 women who are 40 or older. In comparison, half of men are not following news of the wedding at all. “It’s their British thing; it’s their custom,” Edward Rakas, 57, of Colchester, Conn., said in a follow-up interview after the poll was completed. “I guess they enjoy it, but it’s just not something I’m interested in.”

Women are also more apt to say they expect to watch the broadcast of the royal wedding next week. Older women are even more likely to schedule an early morning wake-up call for Friday.

Mary Nygaard, 67, of Washington, lived overseas for 25 years and has many British friends. Next week, she will join 27 women at a private home at 5 a.m., watch the proceedings on television and have an English breakfast (plus scones). “We’re going to wear special hats, and some of us will wear tiaras,” Mrs. Nygaard said. “It’s going to be so much fun.”

Miss Middleton has not worked in some time, but she was a buyer at a clothing store and worked at her parents’ party-supply company. American women paying any attention to the wedding are divided on whether she should seek employment after the wedding: 47 percent said it would be acceptable for her to hold a job, and 42 percent said she should concentrate on her royal responsibilities. A majority of men, though, said Miss Middleton should not work.

Denise Papcun, 38, of Pittsburgh, says that if Miss Middleton wants a job, she should get one, as long as it can be balanced with her official duties. In addition, “I hope maybe both of them follow in Diana’s footsteps and do charity work or something meaningful and it’s not just a title,” Mrs. Papcun said.

More than 13 years after her death, Prince William’s mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, remains the most popular member of the royal family among Americans. Three-quarters of adults surveyed have a favorable opinion of her, including large majorities across age, gender, race, party affiliation and socioeconomic groups. And an overwhelming majority consider Diana’s ring to be a suitable engagement gift for Miss Middleton. Diana received the sapphire and diamond engagement ring from Prince Charles in 1981.

Americans are more divided over William’s father, Prince Charles: 38 percent have a favorable opinion of him, and 29 percent hold a negative view. There is little difference between the views of men and women or older and younger Americans.

Charles’s mother and William’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, who celebrated her 85th birthday on Thursday, is viewed favorably by 61 percent of Americans over all, but she is more popular with women and with older Americans.

William is almost as well-liked as his grandmother: 57 percent of Americans surveyed have a positive opinion of him. Men under 40 are most likely to have no opinion at all about the young prince.

Many Americans are reserving judgment about William’s future bride. Less than half, 45 percent, have a favorable opinion, and only 5 percent have an unfavorable one. The rest are undecided or have not heard enough about Miss Middleton to offer an opinion.

“I think it’s a lot of hoopla, all that pomp and stuff,” said Eric Zeff, 49, of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. “They did that for Charles and Diana, and see how their marriage turned out.” (They were divorced in 1996.)

The nationwide telephone poll was conducted April 15 to April 20 with 1, 224 adults and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/23/world/europe/23royals.html

Hal-9000
04-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Charles should be ashamed for cheating on Diana with that old horseface Camilla Bowles...they should remove his rights to the throne for infidelity, make William King and then encourage him to take over the middle east

bring back the crusades! :thumbsup:

redred
04-24-2011, 12:19 AM
tbh i don't give a shit on this subject

Godfather
04-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Nor do I

I'm shocked at how much press it's getting here given that I know nobody who cares

PorkChopSandwiches
04-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm surprised that they think Americans give a shit, they were talking some crazy numbers, estimating the wedding would have close to a billion viewers. :lol: I don't know one person who gives a shit, or would even tune in for a minute. Do you Brits even care? Will you be watching it on TV?

Muddy
04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
No disrespect to the Brits, but who gives a crap? They are just people like the rest of us... Celebritys...

redred
04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
i looked at the tele guide for friday, cartoon channel is looking good :lol:

Muddy
04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Now my wife, thats a different story... She'll probably DVR the event.. But she's a wedding junkie...

beowulf
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Charles should be ashamed for cheating on Diana

lol.....she was no innocent angel you know :lol:

i looked at the tele guide for friday, cartoon channel is looking good :lol:

got plenty on the sky box :thumbsup:

Acid Trip
04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
The oldest son of totally irrelevant monarchy is getting married and you wonder why we don't care? It's because they are irrelevant...

MrsM
04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm still waiting for my invite...:-k

You would think that i would have it by now:waiting:

Hal-9000
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm surprised that they think Americans give a shit, they were talking some crazy numbers, estimating the wedding would have close to a billion viewers. :lol: I don't know one person who gives a shit, or would even tune in for a minute. Do you Brits even care? Will you be watching it on TV?

It demonstrates one sad fact....the world as a whole needs something.Probably 98% of the viewership recognizes the things mentioned here, yet they'll still be watching with rapt attention and oohing and aaahing over the various facets of wedding.

How many girlfriends and wives of members here will be watching at least part of it.....they may not admit it, but I'll bet they'll sneak a little coverage of the event in on the side :lol:

Softdreamer
04-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Maybe we should care, maybe we should watch it.
After all, they (the couple, not the monarchy) haven't done much wrong yet. It would be wrong to condemn them before they have had their chance to do something in the world. Lets give the new generations a chance to make the world a better place.

I believe the children are our future, we should teach them well, and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Maybe even give them a sense of pride to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us of how we used to be. Everybody nowadays is searching for a hero, people need someone to look up to. Me personally, I never found anyone to fulfil my needs. Its a lonely place to be. I learned to depend on me...