PDA

View Full Version : 12 Million Americans Believe Lizard People Run Our Country

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
By Philip Bump | The Atlantic Wire

About 90 million Americans believe aliens exist. Some 66 million of us think aliens landed at Roswell in 1948. These are the things you learn when there's a lull in political news and pollsters get to ask whatever questions they want.

Public Policy Polling has raised weird polls to an art form. During last year's presidential campaign, the firm earned a bit of a reputation for its unorthodox questions; for example, "If God exists, do you approve of its handling of natural disasters?"

Today PPP released the results of a national survey looking at common conspiracy theories. Broken down by topic and cross-referenced by political preference, the results will not inspire a lot of patriotism. If you need to defend your fellow countrymen, be sure to note that the margin of error is 2.8 percent.

We took the findings and arranged them from most- to least-believed. And, just to inspire additional shame, figured out how many actual Americans that meant must believe in things like the danger of fluoride in water. (28 million, if you're wondering.)

http://i.imgur.com/gkyncTS.png

Just to further inspire conversation, PPP broke down belief in each theory by whom the respondent supported in the 2012 election. This yielded some genuinely interesting results.

For example, only two conspiracies were more commonly believed by Obama supporters: that Bush intentionally misled America about Iraq's WMDs (a massive 69 percent of his supporters believe that one) and that the moon landing was faked. There two theories with equal support among Obama and Romney supporters: that aliens exist and theone about fluoridation. Everything else, from lizard people to vaccines and autism to global warming being a hoax? Believed by more Romney supporters.

No conspiracy was less commonly believed than one suggesting that the government is populated by lizard people. But that's mostly because only 2 percent of Obama supporters believe the theory while 5 percent of Romney supporters do.

perrhaps
04-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Every time I get asked to participate in stupid polls like this, I lie. I suspect a lot of other folks do too.

Acid Trip
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Every time I get asked to participate in stupid polls like this, I lie. I suspect a lot of other folks do too.

Ah, so you are are the reason the polls are always +/- 4% due to error. :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM

Don't doubt the stupidity of the average American, look at the politicians they keep voting into office :|

DemonGeminiX
04-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Aliens exist.

What's the big deal about believing in that? It's entirely possible, and probable, scientifically and statistically speaking.

FBD
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
:lol: moon landing was faked...that one's funny too, because we had the technology to go there but not the technology to fake it :lol:

perrhaps
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Don't doubt the stupidity of the average American, look at the politicians they keep voting into office :|

The average American doesn't vote, which is probably why we elect who we do.

Acid Trip
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Aliens exist.

What's the big deal about believing in that? It's entirely possible, and probable, scientifically and statistically speaking.

That and our ancestors worshiped "Gods" who "came down from the heavens in a flaming chariot". Sounds a lot like a space craft landing.

Southern Belle
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I have a friend who believes in lizard people. She believes the Springs family of Springs Mills, who were once the largest employer in our area, are really lizard people. She also believes several of the conspiracy theories listed. She's a huge fan of Alex Jones.

perrhaps
04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I have a friend who believes in lizard people. She believes the Springs family of Springs Mills, who were once the largest employer in our area, are really lizard people. She also believes several of the conspiracy theories listed. She's a huge fan of Alex Jones.

Is she single? Would she like to come to my place to see my tinfoil hats?

Southern Belle
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
I'll check with her and let you know :lol:

perrhaps
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I'll check with her and let you know :lol:

Thanks. Please remind her that Lizard-people believers can't be choosy.

Muddy
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
I have a friend who believes in lizard people.

Quote of the day! :lol:

Acid Trip
04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Am I the only person who has never even heard of "the lizard people" before?

I feel like I'm missing a really cool story :(

DemonGeminiX
04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/O4KpI8M.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2013, 03:57 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

FBD
04-04-2013, 07:52 PM

:lol: its part of the whole humans are engineered from like 43 other species around the galaxy story

Pony
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Is it bad that I think at least 5 of those are at least partially true?

EX: "The government controls minds with TV"
Depending on your definition of controls, I would say Yes. If you don't think all the BS manipulative political ad's on TV influence the population then you are under their control. :shock:

"The government allowed 9/11"

Yes, because of the poor intelligence and lack of communication between agencies the government failed at stopping an attack on the US.

DemonGeminiX
04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Depends. What are your other 3?

:-k

Pony
04-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Depends. What are your other 3?

:-k

Bush mislead on Iraq
Global warming
and...

...Obama is the antichrist. <--- I'll trust your expertise on this one.

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 10:18 PM

True evolutionists have to believe this theory

it's a long road from a one celled amoeba to a human bean :tup:

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
I believe the

JFK

Bush

Aliens

Hussein

theories

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 10:21 PM
airplane contrails are sinister???

pardon me??????? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2013, 10:32 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory

Pony
04-04-2013, 10:38 PM

You never heard that one? Our painter at work and the Mod Gandolph at TP are always going on about it. "They" have sprayers mounted on planes to do mass population experiments. Either to make people sick/compliant/open to suggestion (mind control)

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 10:40 PM
sorry guys I was outside watching the planes come in at the nearby airport ...must have blacked out for a moment, what were we talking about? :-s

Pony
04-04-2013, 10:49 PM
You were giving me your banking details

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 10:52 PM
yeah sure.....when you get in, they may ask you to make a deposit to take it out of the red :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Bush mislead on Iraq
Global warming
and...

...Obama is the antichrist. <--- I'll trust your expertise on this one.

I guess it all depends on how you see things with respect to the first 2, which is pretty much how I feel about your initial 2 in the previous post. I could debate them either way as long as we aren't talking extremes.

Obama being the Antichrist? If you're being serious, then I don't know about that one. If you're not being serious, then I'm gonna go ahead and post my dissertation anyway. :lol:

Despite my inherent Catholicism, I don't really believe in the whole end of the world stuff found in Revelations. If you haven't read Revelations, then you should, purely for the artistic value. It really is beautiful and it certainly is the most interesting book of the Bible, followed by the book of Daniel in the Old Testament, but I don't think it can be taken literally. If you've read as much as I have by historians commenting on Revelations, then you'd understand why I feel that way. Basically, it's one big metaphor for things that were going on during John's (the author) days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Patmos

Historically speaking, 'Antichrist' has been a very convenient label for unpopular figures. It's really easy to declare someone the Antichrist. People have been doing it forever when it has benefitted their points of view. But someone being the actual Antichrist would imply the end of days, and I'm sorry, I just don't see it happening... at least not in our generation or any other generation any time relatively soon. I think the human race is gonna be around for a long time. We might hit a few bumps in the road here and there, but we'll survive at least as long as we have a planet to survive on.

If you look at the Antichrist's M.O. in Revelations, Obama doesn't really fit. Personally, I just think Obama's a really really bad President. :lol:

We need to get Ocelot back in here. I bet he could wax philosophic something fierce on this topic. :lol:

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 11:04 PM
yeah DGX, what about the Old Testament portion that mentions that the antichrist will be a politician in a land far across the water, his name will contain 5 or 6 letters...and the world will be fooled into thinking he's a savior?

I shite you not :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-04-2013, 11:06 PM
:hand:

Talk to Dee. I'm not Jewish.

Pony
04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
So he's not the son of Satan? Maybe i should ask the big guy himself.

As for the other two I don't believe either one 100%, the Bush one he was pushing that pretty hard early on.
And the warming thing has been blown so far out of proportion by the exaggerations of Al Gore and other "scientists" that just jumped on the bandwagon to get the big government grant money. I believe there is a little truth to it but I really think all those billions (trillions?) of dollars being poured into the anti-CO2 campaign would be much better spent fighting all types of pollution.

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
:hand:

Talk to Dee. I'm not Jewish.

:(

I'm Moose-lim, no one ever wants to talk God-Squad stuff with me

Satan
04-04-2013, 11:13 PM
So he's not the son of Satan? Maybe i should ask the big guy himself.

:nono:

Nope. Not mine. Billy Jean was not my lover.

DemonGeminiX
04-04-2013, 11:16 PM
:(

I'm Moose-lim, no one ever wants to talk God-Squad stuff with me

As far as I can remember, the whole Apocalypse stuff from Daniel came from one of his 3 visions, and it was a really short passage. I'd have to go back and read it again to find it, but I'm watching baseball.

;)

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Revelations is a favorite of mine...sometimes to odd prediction fits so well with our times it kinda makes you think..

Noraf45
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
From what I understand, everyone will love/be fooled by the antichrist. Obama doesn't have nearly the approval ratings to meet that requirement.