PDA

View Full Version : Our power consumption - graph

Noilly Pratt
04-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Just found out our Electricity provider gives you daily approximations as to your usage now that we have Smartmeters.

As many of you know we were away for 2 weeks...so now we have a baseline. Thought it might interest you the difference:

http://i49.tinypic.com/35l59av.jpg

You can definitely see the time we were away!

...and I've only started back to work yesterday so it's not me and my computer! :D

RBP
04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
That's pretty interesting.

Good information for robbers to have.... not sure I am thrilled about the new meters that transmit so they are readable from the street.

KevinD
04-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Mine transmits, but I don't have access to a graph like that. Gonna check into it.

Noilly Pratt
04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Well, with BC Hydro, you have to know the e-mail that you registered with, and the password, so it's about as safe as anything is nowadays.

And because I'm in a townhouse, it's in a locked shed only BC Hydro, and the Strata president has access to. I don't even have access to the meter itself...but I do see your point RBP.

My gas meter is readable by anyone, but that's still "dumb" :)

FBD
04-04-2013, 06:36 PM
good thing they dont show the 12 hour granularity :lol:

Acid Trip
04-04-2013, 07:14 PM
How does it feel knowing that your home uses 1/3 to 1/2 of your total electric bill whether you are home or not?

Seems awful high unless you have an electric water heater.

Pony
04-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Just found out our Electricity provider gives you daily approximations as to your usage now that we have Smartmeters.

As many of you know we were away for 2 weeks...so now we have a baseline. Thought it might interest you the difference:

http://i49.tinypic.com/35l59av.jpg

You can definitely see the time we were away!

...and I've only started back to work yesterday so it's not me and my computer! :D

Pretty neat. And I'd bet the highest point on the chart is the day of doing laundry before the trip.

Hal-9000
04-04-2013, 10:09 PM
so you're still using 12 kilowatt hours when you're not in the townhouse Noilly?

:lol: robbers came in and did some vacuuming?

Hikari Kisugi
04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
What did you leave running while you were away for two weeks?
I leave the fridge and freeze, I even turn off phones and the wireless and stuff at the wall if we're away more than 2 days.
What's surprising is how little you are then using upon your return in comparison to all your background stuff.

I'd look at what runs automatically, that can be turned off, might get your baseline well down.

Pony
04-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I kill the surge strips in both the computer room and TV room (lots of vampire devices) Turn the thermostat way down or up depending on the season and If I'm gone more than a weekend I'll turn the water tank down to vacation mode.

Noilly Pratt
04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
so you're still using 12 kilowatt hours when you're not in the townhouse Noilly?

:lol: robbers came in and did some vacuuming?

No, it was as filthy as I left it! Or maybe it's the grow-op next door tapping power... :D :-k

I do have an old, wasteful freezer, but a new Fridge and a new-ish gas hot water heater. The furnace is gas, too. I left 1 computer on, but no monitors and just 1 light on a timer so you are all right - my power draw without occupancy should be minimal!

It's definitely something to investigate.

Hikari Kisugi
04-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Probably the computer you left on.
That would be a draw, get a watt meter thing and see what that plug draws on its own, if running 24/7, 200watts would be 5 units a day, the computer might even use more than that, so half your usage on one device.

Pony
04-05-2013, 10:50 PM
I still wouldn't thing those things would be drawing that much.