PDA

View Full Version : Safe Driver Act would grant licenses to immigrants living in U.S. illegally

Teh One Who Knocks
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
By Elizabeth Roman, The Republican

http://i.imgur.com/Na8JvkI.jpg

SPRINGFIELD — With the exception of 16-year-olds obsessing about their driver’s tests, most people don’t think much about the benefits of driving and having a license.

State Rep. Tricia Farley-Bouvier, D-Pittsfield, and state Sen. Patricia D. Jehlen, D-Somerville, are working with the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition for passage of legislation that would provide access to driver’s licenses for immigrants who cannot obtain Social Security documentation.

“There are many different opinions about immigration, but I think we have found a very small issue where we have some common ground. Everyone wants the roads to be safer,” said Farley- Bouvier.

The bill titled An Act relative to safe driving stipulates that in order for a person to receive one of these licenses they must pass a driver’s exam. They must also purchase liability insurance for their motor vehicles.

“The card will not be valid if the person does not purchase the insurance,” Farley-Bouvier said.

The bill also calls for the issuance of an ID card with a distinctive design that would set it apart from a regular driver’s license.

“They would not be able to use the card for any other benefits. It would just allow them to drive safely on the roads and take a test that would teach them about our traffic laws,” said Vern MacArthur, a spokesman for the Pioneer Valley Project, which recently held a meeting in Springfield where more than 700 people gathered to discuss the bill.

Currently, Illinois and New Mexico have similar bills in place, while other states, including Connecticut, are considering it.

Ecuadorian immigrant Belgica Cordero believes it is a matter of urgency for immigrants who need to drive for work and get their children to school.

“Many are afraid to bring their children to the hospital or to school because they can’t drive. It also makes it so much more difficult to go to work,” she said.

Although Cordero has her Social Security number and is in the process of earning her citizenship, she said she sympathizes with the many immigrant families who live in constant fear of deportation.

“Immigrants come here to work. They come to fulfill the American dream and provide a better life for their families,” she said. “The American people are a very generous and giving people, and we ask that the residents look at this issue and give their support.”

State Rep. Aaron Vega, D-Holyoke says he is open to looking at both sides of this issue.

“I think the benefit here is public safety,” Vega said. “The truth is you have people driving who are not familiar with our traffic laws and do not have insurance if they get into an accident.”

He said it’s also important to note that the identification will not give immigrants who are in this country without documentation access to any other benefits. “This is not a shortcut to obtain services; it’s not a free ticket,” he said.

State Rep. Cheryl Coakley-Rivera, D-Springfield, said while the issue of undocumented drivers on the road is very real, this particular bill is a piecemeal effort at solving a much larger problem.

“I think the federal government needs to do something about immigration and the status of the many undocumented immigrants living in the state and the country,” she said. “People come here, they work hard, they pay taxes, they care about their community and they fight for our country, but they can’t go out and get a license to drive to work. That’s a problem.”

However, Coakley-Rivera believes the proposed legislation is too vague and does not address many problems that could arise if it is passed.

“What about the issue of identification fraud,” she said. “You can get legal citizens who are wanted for a crime or have lost their license due to (a driving under the influence of alcohol charge) who come here and pretend they are from some other country, present minimal documentation and get a license,” she said.

Coakley-Rivera said the bill also leaves too much authority to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

“Who will determine what identification is necessary for a person to apply for the license? And, what language will the person be taking the test in? The registry does not have the ability to deal with immigrants speaking a variety of different languages,” she said.

State Rep. Matthew Beaton , R-Shrewsbury, also believes the proposed bill has flaws.

“While I agree with the intentions of the bill and the downstream affect of getting uninsured drivers off the street I think this is a Band-Aid to a much bigger problem,” he said.

Beaton said he believes the state should worry about enforcing the current laws instead of creating new laws to serve the needs of immigrants.

“I don’t think states should have to come up with the solution, this is a federal problem which absolutely needs to be addressed,” he said. “I think by passing bills like this one we are encouraging illegal immigrants to come to Massachusetts. We will give you a license, an EBT card, anything you want on the tax payer dollars.”

Farley-Bouvier said the bill is still in the early stages, and it could be a year before it goes before the full Legislature for a vote.

Muddy
04-09-2013, 01:36 PM
:wtf:

perrhaps
04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Awww, that's nice. Can we let them conditionally vote, too?

FBD
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
lol...how exactly is this going to get uninsured drivers off the streets? what are these people fuggin stupid??? I digress, it was a rhetorical question. you have to have a serious lack of logic processing in order say a lot of the dumb shit that comes out of these people's mouths.

Muddy
04-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Is that guy on the left Anthemz?

Noraf45
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Maybe if they want to drive and work hard to achieve the American dream they could start by becoming an American citizen first.