PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Network Down For Four Days

redred
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
PS3 users have been left despairing as PSN reaches its fourth day out of action.

With no solid news about how long the network will be out, Sony originally claimed it was down for 'maintenance', but have announced on their Official Blog that they are totally rebuilding the system and 'decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security', implying that its down-time may have been the result of some outside help.

Now being reported as a global problem, the service first went down in the UK on Thursday. Sony have apologised and thanked fans for their patience, but after four days, patience is wearing thin. Users are particularly annoyed about their inability to access multiplayer games and third party paid-for services like Lovefilm.

"An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services," Sony said, "In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority."

Yikes! It's all a bit like that film Hackers, but without Jonny Lee Miller's fake American accent.

Read more: http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/games/playstation-network-down-for-four-days#ixzz1KSIns5BC

redred
04-24-2011, 03:40 PM
getting a bit pissed off with this red dead redemption is boring on lan play on my own

Dr Death
04-24-2011, 04:13 PM
That's why I'm glad we have an XBOX 360! ;)

redred
04-24-2011, 04:15 PM
That's why I'm glad we have an XBOX 360! ;)

good point but i'm glad i don't pay for an online service

Dr Death
04-24-2011, 04:38 PM
good point but i'm glad i don't pay for an online serviceLOL Me either! 8-[

Godfather
04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Brutal. I feel for my brothers from another networK :( Four days is torture

The 5$ a month is a very small price to pay for the benefits IMO. PS3 is rampant with hacking, and in terms of content and service XBL has the edge. The dashboard is a major missing piece of the PSN. I get that people like PS3 being free and dedicated servers, but to me you get what you pay for. I will gladly pass on one visit to Starbucks every few weeks to pay for the subscription.... And to not use PS3 controllers :P

Mostly though... doesn't it just seem like people own what their friends own!?! My brother and his buddies all got PS3 around the same time. My buddies and I all got Xbox's one after the other. I think that has more of an effect than anything... and people draw conclusions about which is better long after they've dropped the cash :lol:

redred
04-25-2011, 02:52 PM
http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/7511771/PLAYSTATION-Y-U-NO-FIX-NETWORK.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Y-U-NO

samarchepas
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
TRYING to keep hackers out...pointless.The more you try to keep them out...the harder they are going to try to get in.

Joebob034
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Hopefully it comes back without IE as its browser

samarchepas
04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
LOL!!...would not help at all :lol: (and anything made by M$)

Hal-9000
04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Why do I get the image of some Gates-hired lackey bringing down the PS network?? :lol:

samarchepas
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Why do I get the image of some Gates-hired lackey bringing down the PS network?? :lol:

Because Hal=:evil:...:-k? lol

Hal-9000
04-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Because Hal=:evil:...:-k? lol

missed the gist on that one :lol:

Hugh_Janus
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
good point but i'm glad i don't pay for an online service

you mean the one I was using yesterday? :dance:

samarchepas
04-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I'd rather have a free service that is out a few days than have to pay for it thank you lol. (My subscription to XBL is still active...on a dead Xbox lol)

Muddy
04-26-2011, 01:01 AM
i dont know this pain you guys speak of...

Yt Trash
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
I rather have a stable system than worry about the ring of death!

samarchepas
04-26-2011, 01:33 AM
I rather have a stable system than worry about the ring of death!

BINGO! lol

Websponge
04-26-2011, 06:28 AM
PS3 users suffer from the YLOD, besides xbox FTMW!:hand:

redred
04-26-2011, 02:24 PM
could be the light at the end of the tunnel

http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5657/psn-back-up-wednesday-expert-claims

samarchepas
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
PS3 users suffer from the YLOD, besides xbox FTMW!:hand:
SOME suffer from it...not 50% like the "white xbox" did...if something has some kind of hardware...it CAN fail at some point...no way around that.

could be the light at the end of the tunnel

http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5657/psn-back-up-wednesday-expert-claims

About the damn time! lol

Hugh_Janus
04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
SOME suffer from it...not 50% like the "white xbox" did...if something has some kind of hardware...it CAN fail at some point...no way around that.

some?! :-s

redred
04-26-2011, 05:57 PM
some?! :-s

how many have you gone through?

Hugh_Janus
04-26-2011, 06:04 PM
on my 2nd one now in 3.5 years. First one didn't RRoD though

Godfather
04-26-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm on my 3rd (only payed for it twice)... my bro is on his 1st PS3

I've still probably sunk less money into it given what they sold for when they were released :rofl:

I honestly wouldn't trade it for a PS3 if it came with a 200$ gift card... the extra money is totally worth it to me. But I get the allure of the PS3, in some ways it is no doubt superior

Hugh_Janus
04-26-2011, 07:49 PM
that^

I nearly bought a PS3 yesterday, but remembered the controller was designed for people with girlie hands and since using the 360 man-hands controller I can't get on with the PS one :-?

samarchepas
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM
that^

I nearly bought a PS3 yesterday, but remembered the controller was designed for people with girlie hands and since using the 360 man-hands controller I can't get on with the PS one :-?
Girlie hands?:huh:....sure it took a while to get use to it for me...but the controller works great...

Hugh_Janus
04-26-2011, 11:04 PM
yes, girlie hands. :slap: I'd expect the controller to work great, otherwise people would get pissed when nothing happens whjen they press the buttons :lol:.... but its too light, the buttons aren't in the best position and it just feels too flimsy :-k. 360 controller on the other hand has a nice heftiness to it and the buttons are perfectly positioned.... well, for racing games anyway.... and by racing games I mean forza 3.... and since that's the only game I'm any good at, that's all I can base my "perfect position" thing on

redred
04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9637/psnh.png

Websponge
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif

Hugh_Janus
04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
hahaha!! but in all seriousness, they droppefd a bollock there

Acid Trip
04-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I got my Xbox360 Elite (Black w/ 120 gig hard drive) in late 2007 and I've never had a single problem.

Then again I'm not a technology idiot who...

Puts the Xbox on the floor
Put it in a cabinet with no airflow
Leaves it running when not in use
Never copies games to the hard drive (meaning the CD drive spins all the time)

samarchepas
04-27-2011, 08:17 PM
The Elite...no wonder you didn't have any problems with it :lol:...took them around 2 years to fix what everyone knew what the problem was (cooling problem) I KNEW that the problem was fixed when I decided to buy a new console...but after my 2nd Xbox360...no thanks

Godfather
04-28-2011, 02:41 AM
I have the new Xbox 360 Slim... hoping it lasts a little longer than my average old school white one did

But they're down to 200$ now and the next gen system must be on its way... so if it dies I won't lose much sleep...

Joebob034
04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
I have the new Xbox 360 Slim... hoping it lasts a little longer than my average old school white one did

But they're down to 200$ now and the next gen system must be on its way... so if it dies I won't lose much sleep...

woa look at daddy warbucks over here

redred
04-30-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Godfather
04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWtxs5rl7jk

samarchepas
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
I enjoyed every second of it (starting at 1:14) :twisted:

Websponge
04-30-2011, 06:49 PM
I bet it can still go online though.. ahahahahahahah

redred
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
SOME PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND QRIOCITY SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK
Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information.
Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.
Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:
• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
• This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
• Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
• Access to account management and password reset
• Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
• PlayStation®Home
• Friends List
• Chat Functionality
Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
• Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
• Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
• Implementation of additional firewalls
The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.
The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.
“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”
Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program
While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.
The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.
• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
• All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
• Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.
SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.
For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com or http://blog.eu.playstation.com/
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $78 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2010. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes and markets the PlayStation® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/01/some-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/

samarchepas
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
• All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
• Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

:woot:

redred
05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
thats the way i look at it free stuff :woot:

samarchepas
05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Exactly...worth the few days off :lol: (Checked with my credit card provider...all is ok for me)