PDA

View Full Version : Rav4 vs X3

Godfather
04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
I'll start by saying don't bother suggesting other cars :lol: My dad is a great guy but stubborn. He has made his mind up that he's either getting a Rav4 or an X3

I know we have some brilliant car guys here so what are you initial thoughts on deciding between the two vehicles in terms of maintenance costs, reliability, smoothness of the ride and versatility :-k

He mostly just drives to see clients and the car would probably last a few years into his retirement. I think personally that because it's just for a smooth ride and something he loves... after all these years he deserves the BMW. But he's worried people will think he's pretentious which couldn't be further from the truth.

Just any thoughts on the two cars would be very welcome please and thanks!!

DemonGeminiX
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
My dad is a great guy but stubborn.

:-k

I feel like I've read this statement before... somewhere having something to do with a tv or some other piece of entertainment equipment...

redred
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
bmw imo the rav4 is a toy ,had to put a washing machine in one the other day and the back door wouldn't even open up fully to be able to lift anything large into the boot

Pony
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
BMWs don't really have the snobby stigma attached to them anymore, especially the X3.

Personally my mom has a rav4 and I often drive X3's at work, if he's looking for a smooth ride and the refined feel I'd definitely go with the X3, of course the maintenance costs will be a bit higher.

beowulf
04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
if he gets the beemer will he go on the special driving course?.....you know...the one where they teach you never to use turn signals, tail gate as close as possible and think the rules of the road dont apply?

sorry......i hate bmw's :lol:....round my way if you have an x3 or x5 you are either a complete twat, a woman married to a complete twat who uses his car just to do the school run or a black drug dealer :lol:.....id go for the rav every time of the two...but i can think of better than either

Godfather
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM

I feel like I've read this statement before... somewhere having something to do with a tv or some other piece of entertainment equipment...

Yeah good memory... Think I mentioned it when I was helping him buy a new TV not too long ago. When he makes his mind up or narrows down a list by looking at a couple reviews on CNET... that's that generally :lol:

Godfather
04-24-2011, 09:52 PM
bmw imo the rav4 is a toy ,had to put a washing machine in one the other day and the back door wouldn't even open up fully to be able to lift anything large into the boot

BMWs don't really have the snobby stigma attached to them anymore, especially the X3.

Personally my mom has a rav4 and I often drive X3's at work, if he's looking for a smooth ride and the refined feel I'd definitely go with the X3, of course the maintenance costs will be a bit higher.

Thanks guys, interesting points :-k I'll pass those along

if he gets the beemer will he go on the special driving course?.....you know...the one where they teach you never to use turn signals, tail gate as close as possible and think the rules of the road dont apply?

:lol: Yeah I get that too.

I just think the guy has never splurged on a car in his life, and always wanted the BMW for himself. Half the neighborhood has one anyways, and if the guy wants one who cares if people pass judgment. Hell, I love the X3.

DemonGeminiX
04-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah good memory...

Now if I can only remember where my keys are, what my name is, and how old I am...

I don't really know much about SUVs. I recall reading some articles on Toyota having a ton of recalls lately. I'm not sure if it was about the RAV4 or not, but it does seem that the quality of the newer Toyotas and Hondas has taken a shot recently. Maybe that's something you should check up on for him. There are some pretty good write ups on models on a couple of sites... I usually get my info from Edmunds.com when I'm in the market for a new car (that's just one).

Pony
04-24-2011, 09:57 PM

sorry......i hate bmw's :lol:....round my way if you have an x3 or x5 you are either a complete twat, a woman married to a complete twat who uses his car just to do the school run or a black drug dealer :lol:.....id go for the rav every time of the two...but i can think of better than either

Yea, I think it's kinda lost that stigma on this side of the pond, that's reserved for Mercedes owners. :mrgreen:

Personally I think the Lexus RX and the X3 would have been a lot better match up. I'm just not impressed with the ride and handling of the Rav4, it just doesn't have the refined feel that the Lexus and BMW have.

RBP
04-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't know anything about them, but the X3 is assembled in the US and the Rav4 in Canada. So go with the X3. :lol:

Godfather
04-24-2011, 11:06 PM
:lol: I'm going to reverse what you said and pass it along.. he'll never know :P

golfer
04-25-2011, 12:12 AM
my two cents would be the X3 i drive my gf's 3 series and it is an awesome ride... smooth and refined... just be warned if he goes for the X3 he will never be able to drive a lesser car(well he could but he will remember what it used to be like when he touched the gas pedal and was doing 100 :) )

Muddy
04-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Im a Toyota guy.. Butttt.. X3 baby... :mrgreen:

Godfather
04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Yea, I think it's kinda lost that stigma on this side of the pond, that's reserved for Mercedes owners. :mrgreen:

Personally I think the Lexus RX and the X3 would have been a lot better match up. I'm just not impressed with the ride and handling of the Rav4, it just doesn't have the refined feel that the Lexus and BMW have.

Agreed about the Stigma...

No joking... the neighbor across the street just bought an RX. Nice car but their last name? Jones :lol:

golfer
05-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Agreed about the Stigma...

No joking... the neighbor across the street just bought an RX. Nice car but their last name? Jones :lol:

Trying to keep up with the Jones's huh... Nice :)

Arkady Renko
05-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Is he looking for a new or a used one? Apparently the late vintages of the first edition of the X3 up until the 2010 model were quite reliable and nicely finished. I don't think there's anything like a 100.000 miles report for the new model out there yet.

At any rate, do get the X3, please, because even though it'S assembled in the US most parts are from germany and BMW pay their taxes here.

Pony
05-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Any updates GF?