PDA

View Full Version : Parking-lot rage leaves woman shaken, bruised

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2013, 11:02 AM
By Tonya Alanez, Sun Sentinel

COOPER CITY—

— A case of parking-lot rage played out at a Publix on Tuesday when an unidentified driver rammed his vehicle into a woman, leaving her scraped, bumped and bruised on the ground.

The irate driver followed the woman into the lot, accused her of cutting him off and intentionally rammed into her with his Mitsubishi Lancer so that she flew onto his hood, according to the victim, Elizabeth De Leon, 25, of Hollywood.

The driver split and De Leon called police. The Broward Sheriff's Office confirmed the incident, but the police report was not available Wednesday.

"It was pretty terrifying," De Leon said. "Obviously, he lost his mind for a second. To follow somebody, intentionally wait for them to walk in front of your car so you can hit them seems insane."

De Leon's injuries did not require hospitalization, but on Wednesday she was swollen, sore and bruised, she said.

"Yesterday, because of the adrenaline I was more scared than hurt," she said by telephone. "Today, I literally feel like I got hit by a car."

De Leon, who works as a pharmacy technician at the Publix at 9359 Sheridan St., was on her way to work when the ordeal unfolded about 2 p.m.

She says she has no recollection of cutting anybody off but noticed a light-blue car tailgating her as she pulled into the lot.

The driver, De Leon said, used his car to block her into the parking space and asked: "What happened back there?"

De Leon said she asked if he was all right, he stared blankly and she told him she was on her way in to work and began to pass in front of his car.

"All I heard was him slam on his gas, and before I could turn, the car plowed into my right side and I was on top of the hood," she said.

Next, De Leon said, he hit the brakes, she lurched to the ground, he cursed at her and drove away.

De Leon described the driver as between age 50 and 55, with spiky blond hair, a sunburn and big sunglasses.

Surveillance video captured footage of the vehicle but not the license tag number, De Leon said.