PDA

View Full Version : PD: Mom left boy alone with gun in home

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
WESH-TV Orlando

http://i.imgur.com/6vZtgKR.jpg

A Brevard County woman faces child neglect charges after her son was left alone with a gun in their home.

A neighbor called police over the weekend to report that a small boy was left alone by his mother, 30-year-old Yvette Martell, according to an arrest affidavit.

The neighbor told investigators that the boy had been left alone several times before, and a responding police officer confirmed that with the boy. The 8-year-old told the officer that his mother “got dressed up” and left to see a friend.

The boy said he didn't know where his mother was, but had her phone number. Police said they called Martell's number six times without any answer.

The officer also asked if the boy knew of any weapons in the home.

“My mom has a pistol in case someone breaks in. She hasn’t used it though,” the officer recalled the boy saying in the affidavit.

Later on, the mother told officers she was visiting a friend at Patrick’s Air Force Base.

“I knew it was wrong, but I didn’t think it would be a big deal,” Martell told officers, according to the affidavit.

The officer noted that the child was scared and worried something bad happened to his mother.

Martell was taken into custody and faces child neglect charges. She also faces charges of failing to secure a firearm.

FBD
04-25-2013, 12:19 PM
wtf? yeah god forbid a kid gets left ALONE for a couple hours! oh noes!!!

yeah cops show up at the door, no wonder the kid thought something bad happened to mom. what the hell is wrong with people.