PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2011, 06:37 PM
And what better way to kick off this thread than with a story about those cheating bastards at Ohio State :cheerlead:

NCAA alleges Tressel lied to hide NCAA violations
By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—In a sharply worded rebuke of Ohio State’s Jim Tressel, the NCAA on Monday accused the 10-year coach with withholding information and lying to keep Buckeyes players on the field who had accepted improper benefits from the owner of a tattoo parlor.

In a “notice of allegations” sent to the school, the NCAA said Monday that the violations relating to the coach are considered “potential major violations.”

Ohio State was not cited for the most serious of institutional breaches since Tressel hid information from his superiors for more than nine months. The university has 90 days to respond to the ruling body of college sports’ request for information before a scheduled date before the NCAA’s committee on infractions on Aug. 12 in Indianapolis.

In a 13-page indictment of Tressel’s behavior, the NCAA alleged that Tressel had “permitted football student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics while ineligible.” It also said he “failed to deport himself … (with) honesty and integrity” and said he was lying when he filled out a compliance form in September which said he had no knowledge of any NCAA violations by any of his players.

Athletic director Gene Smith said he would have “no comments until the case is resolved.” The university issued a statement that the allegations were consistent with what it had already self-reported to the NCAA on March 8.

Tressel’s troubles began with an April 2, 2010, email from Columbus lawyer Christopher Cicero. Cicero, a former Ohio State walk-on player, informed Tressel that a federal agency had raided the house of tattoo-shop owner Eddie Rife and discovered a multitude of autographed Ohio State jerseys, cleats, pants and helmets, Big Ten championship rings and the “gold pants” trinkets given to Buckeyes players for beating archrival Michigan.

Tressel responded, “I will get on it ASAP.”

Yet he did not notify Smith or Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee, anyone else in the athletic department, the NCAA compliance department, or anyone in the university’s legal department. Instead, he forwarded the email to Jeannette, Pa., businessman Ted Sarniak, a friend and mentor to star quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who was subsequently discovered to be one of the players involved with Rife.

The Columbus Dispatch reported Monday that Tressel went on to exchange at least 12 emails with Cicero, and also had numerous lengthy telephone conversations with Sarniak over the weeks and months ahead. Tressel still did not tell any of his superiors, anyone at the NCAA or his own compliance or legal departments.

In September of 2010, Tressel even signed a mandatory and rather routine Ohio State compliance form which clearly and simply asks if he the coach has knowledge of any NCAA violations. By signing and dating it, he said that he did not.

The U.S. Attorney contacted Ohio State in December to notify the university that it had come across the memorabilia. That prompted a cursory investigation— Smith conceded to The Associated Press last week that the effort was rushed— that did not turn up the telltale emails between Cicero and Tressel but did uncover the players’ involvement with Rife. After consulting with the NCAA and the Big Ten, Pryor and four other top players were handed five-game suspensions — curiously not including the next game, the Sugar Bowl, but beginning with the first five games of the 2011 season.

Tressel was asked at a news conference if the players knew they were doing something wrong.

“I suppose that would be something rattling around inside the head of each of them individually,” he said. “We all have a little sensor within us, ‘Well, I’m not sure if I should be doing this.”’

At the same time he said that, Tressel later admitted he was covering up his own knowledge of the players’ violations.

The NCAA and Ohio State say the case against the players is closed.

It was only when Ohio State began appealing the players’ suspensions that it uncovered the emails, leading to Tressel ultimately receiving a five-game suspension and a $250,000 fine. Smith said last week that the fine given to Tressel—who makes around $3.5 million a year—would not cover Ohio State’s costs of the investigation.

Tressel has a record of 106-22 at Ohio State and won the 2002 national championship, the Buckeyes’ first in 34 years. His team went 12-1 last season, including the 31-26 win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl.

The NCAA could accept Ohio State’s suggestion of sanctions—the five-game suspension and the fine—or could levy much more severe penalties. Since the NCAA says that Tressel knowingly used ineligible players, it would seem probable that the 2010 regular season would be vacated—ending the Buckeyes’ run of Big Ten titles at six in a row. The NCAA could also come down hard on Tressel, compelling Ohio State to add to Tressel’s suspension or issue sanctions leading to the school firing him.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2011, 07:49 PM
:link: Jim Tressel resigns as Ohio State’s football coach (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ohiost-tresselresigns)

:cheerlead:

deebakes
05-31-2011, 12:20 AM
:woot:

Joebob034
05-31-2011, 04:44 AM
muahahaha, although now Michigan doesn't get to redeem itself against him with Hoke at the helm

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Now if the NCAA has absolutely any integrity left, they will start stripping away victories from Ohio State for all the games where they use ineligible players.

deebakes
06-01-2011, 01:17 AM
but really, in the grand scheme of things, does that really make a difference? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2011, 01:21 AM
It's the principal of the thing ;)

The 'Canes got nailed by the NCAA for less than what Ohio State is accused of and it set the program back 10 years. Ohio State should get at least the same

Teh One Who Knocks
07-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Ohio State vacates 2010 football wins, Sugar Bowl (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ohiost-ncaaresponse)

:cheers:

Joebob034
07-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Ohio State vacates 2010 football wins, Sugar Bowl (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ohiost-ncaaresponse)

psh slap on the wrist, 2-yrs probation and some reduction in scholarships I think is a fair penalty

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2011, 09:12 PM
That is just Ohio State's self imposed penalty....the NCAA hasn't weighed in yet ;)

Joebob034
08-04-2011, 05:18 PM
explains a lot

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/08/03/0803-ohio-state-casey-ex.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
08-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Only a month until the 'Canes first game :cheerlead:

http://i.imgur.com/eWGx3.png

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2011, 11:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/43ytH.png

Joebob034
08-17-2011, 07:56 PM
ruh-roh lance

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/08/17/miami-ncaa/

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I saw that the other day :|

Joebob034
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Personally I don't think the NCAA will ever give the death penalty to another football program again, but the fact that it's even being mentioned is pretty crazy.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Even if they did give the death penalty again (and that's a BIG if), they would never give it to a big name program like Miami.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Even if they did give the death penalty again (and that's a BIG if), they would never give it to a big name program like Miami.

:|

Source: Willful violators clause could apply at Miami
By Charles Robinson and Dan Wetzel

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The NCAA informed University of Miami administrators it will consider invoking its “willful violators” clause and make an exception to the traditional four-year statute of limitations in the Nevin Shapiro case, a university source told Yahoo! Sports.

Traditionally, the NCAA’s bylaws would only allow it to sanction the Hurricanes for infractions that occurred during the four years prior to receiving a letter of inquiry from investigators. For example, if Miami received a letter of inquiry for a case on Sept. 1, 2011, the NCAA could only sanction the school for applicable violations dating back to Sept. 1, 2007. But the clause – reserved for “a pattern of willful violations” – can spin a probe back to the earliest applicable infractions.

Applied to the Shapiro allegations, it means the NCAA could reach as far back to early 2002, when the booster said he began funneling benefits to Hurricanes players. And if the probe stretched back to 2002, it would overlap with Miami’s two-year probationary period from the baseball program, which was leveled from February 2003 to February 2005. That could potentially tag the Hurricanes athletic program with a “repeat violator” label and make the school further susceptible to the NCAA’s so-called death penalty.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said that despite the penalty being used only once before in college football – against Southern Methodist University in 1987 – the association isn’t shying away from such a drastic sanction.

“We need to make sure that we’ve got, for the committee on infractions, all the tools they need to create those kinds of deterrents,” Emmert told USA Today. “If that includes the death penalty, I’m fine with that.”

And while the likelihood of the death penalty remains questionable, the possibility of the willful violators clause is not welcome news for an already-embattled athletic department. Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst released a statement Thursday assuring the school’s commitment to “the integrity of the NCAA investigation” and “demanding the full cooperation of our employees and student-athletes.”

“There are tough times ahead, challenges to overcome and serious decisions to be made, but we will be left standing and we will be stronger as a result,” Eichorst said. “I understand there are unanswered questions, concerns and frustration by many but this athletic department will be defined now and in the future, by our core values, our integrity and our commitment to excellence, and by nothing else. The University of Miami, as an institution of higher learning, is a leader in exploration, achievement and excellence and we will work hard to do our part to live up to that standard.”

Shapiro is a Miami booster currently serving a 20-year federal prison term for operation a $930 million Ponzi scheme. He detailed to Yahoo! Sports a wide-ranging eight-year run of violations that include cash, gifts, prostitution, entertainment at nightclubs and strip clubs, parties at his mansion, yacht cruises and other benefits. Yahoo! Sports found at least seven coaches, three support staff members and 72 athletes with direct involvement or knowledge of infractions committed by the booster from 2002 to 2010.

Joebob034
08-19-2011, 03:03 PM
yikes I still stay they won't do it. The NCAA will hit them hard but it will be short of the death penalty. BTW OSU fans are giving Miami a big thank you. I wonder how that week 2 matchup will be billed?

Acid Trip
08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
I wonder how that week 2 matchup will be billed?

Original Cheaters vs. Creative Cheaters?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Original Cheaters vs. Creative Cheaters?

Normally I would slap someone for dissing the 'Canes....but I can't when it comes to this :sad2:

Joebob034
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM
That was the most insane game I've ever seen

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2011, 04:53 PM
That was the most insane game I've ever seen
Pitt vs Maine? I agree :thumbsup:

Joebob034
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Pitt vs Maine? I agree :thumbsup:

I didn't even know Maine had a team

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2011, 05:13 PM
:shakehead:

They played Nebraska a few years ago

Teh One Who Knocks
09-18-2011, 11:58 AM
No. 17 Ohio State falls at Miami, 24-6

:banana: :cheerlead: :banana: :cheerlead:

Joebob034
09-19-2011, 04:10 PM
and OSU falls out of rankings for first time since '04 :cheerlead:

Joebob034
09-19-2011, 04:13 PM
here come the superconferences, wonder who the Big 10 will add? ND for sure maybe Mizzou?

ACC
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/18/acc.expansion.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t2_a3

Pac-12
http://www.wfmz.com/sports/Report-Pac-12-poised-to-add-4-Big-12-schools/-/121402/1633002/-/oprqugz/-/

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
and OSU falls out of rankings for first time since '04 :cheerlead:

All thanks to the U :tup:

DemonGeminiX
10-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Georgia beats Florida, 24 - 20. First win in the rivalry since 2007.

Joebob034
10-31-2011, 03:34 PM
the Gophers won :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
The 'Canes didn't :|

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2011, 03:31 AM
PSU trustees fire Paterno, Spanier (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AhEeIeua.WNOjJHmZT4ErQA5nYcB?slug=ap-pennstate-abuse)

RBP
11-10-2011, 03:45 AM
PSU trustees fire Paterno, Spanier (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AhEeIeua.WNOjJHmZT4ErQA5nYcB?slug=ap-pennstate-abuse)

That's a shame his career ended this way. I think he did what he had to do and it got ignored higher up.

deebakes
11-10-2011, 04:47 AM
:rip: jo pa

DemonGeminiX
11-10-2011, 04:57 AM
That's a shame his career ended this way. I think he did what he had to do and it got ignored higher up.

I don't know, man. Going by the timeline of events... I think Paterno should've called the police after the graduate assistant told him what he witnessed (2002). I think the graduate assistant should've called the police himself. There was a criminal inquiry in '98, Sandusky should've been charged then. He pretty much confessed to inappropriate behavior when questioned, and nobody did a damned thing. Everybody just kinda swept it under the rug, including Paterno. Now that I see things listed out as they are, I kinda agree with sportswriters that say that Paterno and everyone else involved that did very little to nothing at all were selfish cowards looking to save face. I'm sorry, but firing Paterno is the only correct and logical judgement the university could hand down.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Penn-State-sex-abuse-case-timeline-of-key-dates-Jerry-Sandusky-110711

RBP
11-10-2011, 05:28 AM
I don't know, man. Going by the timeline of events... I think Paterno should've called the police after the graduate assistant told him what he witnessed (2002). I think the graduate assistant should've called the police himself. There was a criminal inquiry in '98, Sandusky should've been charged then. He pretty much confessed to inappropriate behavior when questioned, and nobody did a damned thing. Everybody just kinda swept it under the rug, including Paterno. Now that I see things listed out as they are, I kinda agree with sportswriters that say that Paterno and everyone else involved that did very little to nothing at all were selfish cowards looking to save face. I'm sorry, but firing Paterno is the only correct and logical judgement the university could hand down.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Penn-State-sex-abuse-case-timeline-of-key-dates-Jerry-Sandusky-110711

You can speculate all you want about who should have called the police - I mean heck the police were already involved, but what matters is if Paterno did what he was supposed to do by University policy. If he acted appropriately then he shouldn't lose his job over it. Frankly it was time for him to retire anyway, but he could have gone out on better terms.

DemonGeminiX
11-10-2011, 06:17 AM
You can speculate all you want about who should have called the police - I mean heck the police were already involved, but what matters is if Paterno did what he was supposed to do by University policy. If he acted appropriately then he shouldn't lose his job over it. Frankly it was time for him to retire anyway, but he could have gone out on better terms.

He could have gone out on better terms, I agree with you on that. But doing what he had to do? I don't know, man. Yeah sure, university policy and all that, but there's a human component that isn't listed in university policy. I mean seriously, what's more important? Doing what you have to according to your job guidelines, or doing what you know is right? Is only doing what the job guidelines state you have to do enough in this case? How would that weigh on your conscience? Imagine him looking into some of these victims' eyes and saying, "I was only doing what the university required me to do. Sorry kids". We're not talking about university students, 18+ year old young adults here, we're talking about children.

No disrespect intended, bro. I just think what happened is a shitty way to handle the ordeal, on everybody's part. It just looks like a bunch of people covering their own asses when they could've done more.

RBP
11-10-2011, 06:33 AM
He could have gone out on better terms, I agree with you on that. But doing what he had to do? I don't know, man. Yeah sure, university policy and all that, but there's a human component that isn't listed in university policy. I mean seriously, what's more important? Doing what you have to according to your job guidelines, or doing what you know is right? Is only doing what the job guidelines state you have to do enough in this case? How would that weigh on your conscience? Imagine him looking into some of these victims' eyes and saying, "I was only doing what the university required me to do. Sorry kids". We're not talking about university students, 18+ year old young adults here, we're talking about children.

No disrespect intended, bro. I just think what happened is a shitty way to handle the ordeal, on everybody's part. It just looks like a bunch of people covering their own asses when they could've done more.

I don't disagree with you, the whole thing is tragic and handled poorly all around.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't disagree with you, the whole thing is tragic and handled poorly all around.

Agree 100%...just a shame to see one of the greatest college coaches in history go down like this.

deebakes
11-11-2011, 03:26 AM
not as shameful as seeing the kids go down the way they did :(

RBP
11-11-2011, 04:00 AM
not as shameful as seeing the kids go down the way they did :(

:rimshot:

DemonGeminiX
11-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Oregon just beat up on Stanford. Stanford's gonna drop in the standings.

:lol:

deebakes
11-13-2011, 05:07 AM
:rip: luck

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 03:39 PM
So, who's gonna be able to beat LSU this year? Anyone? :-k

Joebob034
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I really don't want a LSU Alabama rematch

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't think that's even possible....aren't the in different divisions in the SEC? They would end up getting the rematch in the SEC championship game and then one of them would be eliminated from the BCS championship game.

Joebob034
11-14-2011, 05:22 PM
no they're both in the Western division so they can't meet in the SEC title game, but possibly in the BCS title game. And you know OSU is gonna lose to OK just to screw everything up.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 05:24 PM
:dammit:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2011, 12:06 PM
And you know OSU is gonna lose to OK just to screw everything up.

It wasn't to Oklahoma, but still...it's all screwed up now :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Baylor beats Oklahoma for the first time in school history! What a game!!!

What a wild day!!! Numerous ranked teams fall!!!

:dance:

Shady
11-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I can't believe that Oklahoma missed the kick off like that. /fail

USC Oregon game was nuts too.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2011, 11:45 AM
So, who's gonna be able to beat LSU this year? Anyone? :-k

No, nobody is gonna challenge LSU this year

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2011, 12:19 PM
The University of Miami has announced that they have voluntarily removed themselves from bowl game consideration because of the ongoing investigation of the booster scandal.

Be interesting to see if Ohio State does the same thing.

Joebob034
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
So if this past weekend didn't convince people we need a playoff system, I don't know what will.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2011, 07:22 PM
So if this past weekend didn't convince people we need a playoff system, I don't know what will.

As long as the university presidents are bribed by the bowls, there will never be a playoff system

DemonGeminiX
11-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Hooray chaos!!!!

:banana:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Another reason Dan Wetzel is one of my favorite sports writers....he hates the BCS. He came up with this last year and I agree with the whole thing:

================================================== =====

College football playoff plan
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Monday, Dec 6, 2010

Oregon and Auburn will play for the BCS title five weeks from now. It is, undoubtedly, an intriguing and potentially excellent game every fan should want to see. Unfortunately it’s part of a system that robs college football of the excitement, opportunity and drama that a playoff would create.

TCU finished its second consecutive undefeated regular season and never stood a chance. Neither did Boise State – so please forgive kicker Kyle Brotzman, all he cost the Broncos was the right to complain the BCS had screwed them.

Freezing those schools out is only a small part of the problem though. The bigger one is the lack of excitement to end the season and then the inexplicable 37 day layoff before a mid-January conclusion.

Rather than get weeks of intriguing, high-stakes playoff games played in raucous on campus stadiums, we get one-off bowl games in rarely sold-out municipal stadiums with curious matchups based on ticket sales, potential TV ratings and all sorts of other things that don’t involve actual on-field accomplishment.

We miss Wisconsin barreling along as a matchup nightmare. Or TCU having to prove itself. Or the excitement of LSU at Oklahoma, the winner to visit Oregon. Or Andrew Luck, Terrelle Pryor and Ryan Mallett shining on a national stage. We miss out on endless subplots, storylines and upsets. We get a sport where it isn’t proven on the field.

It’s part of the reason why in an ESPN the Magazine poll last summer, 62.2 percent of players said they wanted a playoff.

Instead college football continues to outsource its postseason. No other team sport, and really no other business, would let someone else run their most important and profitable product. And they would really, truly never hand it over to people who readily admit are motivated by something other than what’s best for the sport. That’s what college football does with bowl games.

Bowl games are businesses and, understandably, they do what’s best for their bottom line. That isn’t the same as what’s best for college football.

Here is what would be – the annual edition of my proposed 16-team playoff solution. Many playoff plans – six, eight, 12 teams – would be superior to the current system. This just happens to be my favorite.

A seeded 16-team field
http://i.imgur.com/FfODn.jpg

Automatic bids

Just like the wildly popular and profitable NCAA men’s basketball tournament, champions of all 11 conferences earn an automatic bid to the playoff.

Yes, all 11, even the lousy conferences. While no one would argue that the Sun Belt champ is one of the top 16 teams in the country, its presence is paramount to maintaining the integrity and relevancy of the regular season. Teams that put together exceptional season deserve to be rewarded. If you just take the top eight or 16 teams and match them up on a neutral field then there is no advantage to being No. 1 rather than No. 16.

The way to reward the best teams is two-fold. First is providing home-field advantage to the higher-seeded team until the title game (more on this later).

The second is by giving an easier first-round opponent – in this case No. 1 seed Auburn would play No. 16 Florida International. Earning a top two or three seed most years would present a school a de facto bye into the second round. FIU isn’t in the tournament to win the title – they won’t – but to make the regular season matter more. By winning the SEC championship game Saturday, Auburn gets FIU and home field to the title game. Had it lost and dropped to, say fifth, they’d have gotten 12-1 Nevada and then a likely road game in round two. It’s a big difference.

Many wonder why bother with a de facto bye when you can just give the real thing. Leave the Sun Belt and the others out, hold a 12-team playoff and offer the top four teams a week off? That’s certainly a simple – and acceptable – alternative. I’m not opposed to it and see the value in fewer games. I’ve just never seen the harm and allowing the smaller teams a moment of glory.

The FIU’s of the world are harmless. And besides, maybe one of these teams – say 10-3 Central Florida, which isn’t so bad – springs a first-round upset, adding the power of Cinderella to football.

Major conference championships would matter more also. Saturday night’s Big 12, SEC and ACC title games held minimal national importance. They would now. They’d be knock-out games for the playoff – adding intensity and importance, making more games matter more and generating real drama, such as when UConn nailed a brilliant, title-winning, 52-yard field goal.

It’s why nearly every television executive and marketing expert will tell you a playoff wouldn’t hurt the regular season – no matter the BCS talking points. Instead it would dramatically increase interest, ratings and attention especially in November and early December.

At-large bids

In addition to the 11 automatic bids, there would be five at-large selections made by a basketball-like selection committee, i.e. a group of highly engaged people using common criteria to pick and set the field. (For the attached bracket we used the BCS standings to set and seed the field. We also chose Nevada as the WAC representative of a three-way tie).

No more flawed opinion polls where brand name, empty resumes and running up the score can count. No more computer formulas that have been deemed mathematically unsound by actual mathematicians. No more having teams punished for a lack of past success or major media markets. Michigan State gets in the playoff because it went 11-1 this year. It’s not held out because it went 6-7 last year.

This is where independents, such as Notre Dame, would have access to the tournament if they were good enough. Most years, all six bids would come from the power conferences (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC). When divvying up the revenue, the major schools would still receive the lion’s share (76.6 percent if seeds held this year) of an expanded revenue.

While the selection process would still draw complaints from the teams left out, those schools often would have two losses or significant flaws. In this year’s case, the debate would come down to 10-2 LSU and 11-1 Boise State. Only one would go. Both could point to their failures. It isn’t the same as leaving out an unbeaten squad or a one-loss major conference team that played an aggressive schedule getting edged out by a shiny, but hollow, unbeaten record.

There’s no need to dignify the BCS ridiculous assertion that the argument would be more heated than multiple unbeatens vying for two title game spots.

Meanwhile, the standard to get in would still be incredibly high. One loss and you still risk it all. Just 16.6 percent of major conference teams (ND included) would have access to the tournament. The NFL lets 37.5 percent of teams in. The NCAA basketball tournament has room for 54.8 percent of major conference teams.

Ignore outdated bowls

I happen to like watching bowl games – or any game. Bowls are great experiences for players and fans. Outside of nostalgia a few games provide, they offer no value to a playoff system though. They began as fun exhibition games played after the final polls determined a mythical national champion. Over the last couple of decades, however, they have seized control of the postseason and became the tail wagging the dog.

Eliminating the middle man – bowls cut themselves in on 50-60 percent of gross revenue – will make the sport tens of millions of dollars even before you count in the additional revenue from higher television contracts, tickets sold for on campus stadiums, etc. that a playoff would generate.

The bowl lobby is a powerful one though, which is why just about every idea you’ll hear or read will use these bowls for the quarterfinals and these for the semifinals and so on. The bowls’ sole concern is keeping their grip on the system when reform inevitably comes.

A neutral site, bowl-based playoff would create ridiculous travel demands on teams and fans and devalue the regular season. A playoff that includes bowls is a poor idea.

The solution, however, is simple – ignore the bowls.

This isn’t the same as eliminating them. The 35 bowl games can continue to operate outside of the playoff, just like any non-affiliated business. All the non-playoff teams can compete in them. The Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day afternoon? It should be played forever. Notre Dame-Miami in the Sun Bowl? Who doesn’t like that? Let it go on. Under the BCS, only one game matters now. Little changes.

A playoff would not kill off all the bowl games. Bowl games are good business, which is why they keep adding them. Smaller games will survive as long as two things continue. First, people keep watching football on TV. Second, colleges continue to subsidize the bowl system by paying all team expenses and guaranteeing (often at a loss) ticket and marketing revenue. Since the sport will be awash in cash to spend with a playoff, bowls may wind up healthier than ever.

If a lack of 6-6 teams caused the eight smallest bowls – most of which are owned by ESPN – to go under, how many fans would really care? The same number of teams would still reach the postseason.

Higher seeds get home games early

The playoff would stage the first three rounds at the home field of the higher-seeded team before shifting to a neutral site, a la the Super Bowl. As a nod to history, it could be a rotation of famed stadiums such as the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl. Or the Rose Bowl every year. This doesn’t matter to me.

This allows the playoff to capitalize on perhaps college football’s greatest asset – the pageantry, excitement and history of its legendary campus stadiums. There is nothing like a college game day and it doesn’t matter whether you’re in Columbus or Eugene or Madison or Baton Rouge. Each one is thrilling and adds tremendous value to the product.

So why does college football stage its postseason in antiseptic pro and municipal stadiums?

Hosting games would be a boon to the schools. College and universities could keep all the postseason money in-house.

Home games would pump up local economies too. It’s not the job of Oklahomans to drop their disposable income in Arizona; they might consider doing it right at home. The entire “economic impact” theory for bowl games makes no sense on a national scale (which this is) because it’s just displaced spending. On a national scale, money spent at the Glendale Applebee’s is no different than money spent at the Norman Applebee’s.

Most importantly it would also reward the higher seeds (again placing value on the regular season) by providing the distinct advantage of playing at home. (The visiting team would get the same small ticket allotment it currently gets). Unlike with the bowls, all games would be sold out.

This would also placate complaints from northern teams who are seemingly always playing bowl games near the campus of their opponent. The Big Ten’s been getting slaughtered of late in bowl games. Well, let’s see Florida or LSU slide around in the snow of Happy Valley some time.

The BCS has all but killed intersectional games (there’s no reward to playing a tough schedule), but the idea of them returning each December and January, famous jerseys in famous faraway stadiums (Oklahoma in Autzen; Virginia Tech in the Horseshoe and then the Buckeyes visiting TCU’s little band box) can warm any college fan’s heart.

The schedule

While the former Division I-AA plays all four rounds before Christmas – football’s top division might be better served staging its entire playoff over holiday break. An entire four-week playoff could be held from the Saturday before Christmas to the date of the current BCS title game – Jan. 10 this year.

It allows time for rest and academics, even if “the academic effect, it’s just not a credible argument,” Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said.

While the season would be lengthened for some teams, many high school state champions play 16-game seasons. The NFL plays longer years with just 53-man rosters. And college football could always move to lessen the number of actual plays in a college game (often 12 percent more than a NFL game) by switching to the professional clock that runs more freely.

This playoff plan is fairly simple. It was generated by following some of the principles of the other divisions of college football and by discussing it, through the years, with scores of coaches, players, athletic directors, conference commissioners, television executives and even bowl directors.

The combination of money and common sense is why the playoff continues to be inevitable. Just last month, no less than Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said on the Dan Patrick Show that progress is coming. “Within five years we will be in position for a playoff of sorts,” Tressel said.

Sounds good. The sooner the better.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Unless Georgia pulls a HUGE upset in the SEC championship game, looks like we're gonna get an LSU/Alabama rematch for the BCS title game :|

DemonGeminiX
11-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Georgia's not that good. LSU's gonna run all over them. I dare predict that LSU's gonna run all over Alabama as well.

deebakes
11-27-2011, 04:03 PM
the first bama-lsu game was a total snoozer too :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Georgia's not that good. LSU's gonna run all over them. I dare predict that LSU's gonna run all over Alabama as well.

the first bama-lsu game was a total snoozer too :sad2:

I guess all we can do is hope for OK State to really slaughter Oklahoma and that will leapfrog them up over Alabama

Joebob034
11-27-2011, 07:25 PM
FINALLY!!! I forgot what it felt like to beat OSU.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
FINALLY!!! I forgot what it felt like to beat OSU.

When did Michigan add Oregon State to the schedule? :-k

Joebob034
11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Urban Meyer officially new coach at OSU, well it was fun beating them while we could.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Just because he succeeded at Florida doesn't mean he will at Ohio State

Joebob034
11-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Just because he succeeded at Florida doesn't mean he will at Ohio State

how about the fact the he succeeded at OSU, Utah, and BGSU?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
He has to fail sometime then, doesn't he? ;)

Joebob034
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I hope so

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Good article and I agree 100%....OK State proved last night that they belong in the championship game instead of Alabama

OSU deserves shot at BCS title game
By Bill Reiter - FOX Sports

STILLWATER, Okla. — This is why a system with no flexibility should not be allowed to determine the national champion. This underscores how computers can't see past the data to the facts behind them. This is why Alabama should be, if not eliminated from the national championship race, at a minimum given no better chance than Oklahoma State.

That's because, in No. 3 Oklahoma State's 44-10 destruction of rival and No. 10 Oklahoma on Saturday night, there was more at play than a big win.

There was a bright-lights, big-stage reminder that the world is a wildly complicated place — a place where the Cowboys lost their only game on a day in which the entire university for which they compete was in deep mourning, a place where, despite that loss to Iowa State, they still have beaten more than twice as many current BCS top 25 teams as Alabama.

It was the best performance of the year by a college football team not named LSU.

"They had their shot," Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy said afterward. "Give us ours."

Is it fair that Oklahoma State should be deprived a shot at LSU, the undefeated powerhouse and the only route through which anyone else can crown themselves champions? Not in the least. Is it fair, then, that Alabama should surrender that right, having lost its only game of the season to LSU by a mere three points, in overtime no less? Nope, that's not fair, either.

Perhaps this is the only way in which the BCS accurately reflects the world we live in: Sometimes the world is a very unfair place.

And so a choice must be made. And that choice should be a national championship game featuring LSU's frighteningly stifling defense against Oklahoma State's high-tempo offense.

"I don't know what will happen," Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said afterward, "but I know I'll vote LSU No. 1 and Oklahoma State No. 2."

Oklahoma State won its conference outright. Alabama did not. Alabama had its shot against LSU and lost, despite having home-field advantage. Oklahoma State hasn't had that chance yet. Including Saturday's victory, Oklahoma State has beaten five current BCS top 25 teams: Oklahoma (10), Kansas State (11), Baylor (17), Texas (22) and Missouri (25). Alabama has defeated just two: Arkansas (8) and Penn State (22).

Sorry, 'Bama, the short stick should be yours. Gundy and Stoops are right. You had your shot at LSU and you lost. You should be out. It's as unfair as anything out there — other than not letting Oklahoma State have a crack at the Tigers too.

An important element of the argument for letting Gundy and his Cowboys leapfrog Nick Saban's Crimson Tide is a human element worthy of reflection even if, based on how they assess these things, few computers or voting sports writers have taken note.

On Thursday, Nov. 17, a plane carrying Oklahoma State women's basketball coach Kurt Budke and assistant Miranda Serna crashed in Arkansas, killing them and two others. This for a school that almost 11 years earlier had lost players and coaches from the men's basketball team in a plane crash in Colorado.

Human beings mourn. They sap emotional energy when they do so, and they confront and process tragedy — whether tragedy inflicted on friends or on their community — in ways that are hard for those to see who focus only on the numbers or the field.

One night after the crash, the Cowboys football team raced to a 24-7 lead on the road against Iowa State and then … fizzled.

Iowa State won in double overtime.

There is no way to measure the impact of something like what happened, but we know this: When a close-knit community, like a university, experiences death on a scale so personal and so unfair, it can strike home in unexpected ways.

There were other factors, too, those much less important but still relevant in a conversation bout football. Gundy pointed out Saturday that his team (ah-hem, Alabama) "didn't lose at home." The Cowboys' loss was a Friday game and thus a short week to prepare.

These aren't excuses. They're facts. They don't erase the loss, or provide an excuse that makes Oklahoma State's national-title claims rock solid. But they put that loss in context. That defeat was a question mark, not a verdict. What happened Saturday against Oklahoma cleared up things.

Let this team take on LSU.

The Cowboys displayed a balance Saturday critics said did not exist, rushing for more yards (278) than they had in the air (217). They displayed a defense critics said didn't exist, too, holding Oklahoma to just 10 points and 3.3 rushing yards per carry.

"Our defense was better than what people said," Gundy noted. "But there wasn't anything statistically that backed it up. I mentioned to them tonight was the night. I don't think there's any question that they showed up in a big way."

There's a lot here beyond the stats. Past the rankings, past the obsession with SEC football, past a loss to Iowa State, past ESPN's way-too-obvious craving to televise LSU-Alabama.

Past, even, the fact Gundy said last week that he would put Alabama ahead of his own team if forced to choose.

"People told me at the coffee shop, they were giving me a hard time for talking about the other schools last week," he said. "Oklahoma State hadn't earned the right to talk about a game past the conference championship game because we hadn't won a conference championship game. But after what they accomplished tonight, the way they did it against the No. 10 team in the country, I don't think there's a question they deserve an opportunity to play for it all."

He's right.

Let's finally say no to the knee-jerk reaction. To the pack mentality. To what we think we're supposed to proclaim. To what we know is the safe answer that'll make those of us not emotionally invested feel safe from criticism.

Let's say no to an SEC rematch and yes to one conference champion playing another conference champion for a national — note national, rather than SEC — championship.

Given the stupidity of the system under which we must work, Oklahoma State belongs in that game instead Alabama. If you don't like it, SEC or Alabama fans, help overthrow the system.

Until then, things as they stand remain wildly unfair, and that means your shot at winning it all should wait until next season.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2011, 01:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Sygg1.jpg

DemonGeminiX
12-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Good article and I agree 100%....OK State proved last night that they belong in the championship game instead of Alabama

I agree.

http://i.imgur.com/Sygg1.jpg

I'll take the blonde in the front, thank you.

:D

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
She was a cheerleader of the week at SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/campus.cheer.oklahoma.state.kellee/content.1.html

DemonGeminiX
12-04-2011, 02:22 PM
She was a cheerleader of the week at SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/campus.cheer.oklahoma.state.kellee/content.1.html

I guess that's why the put her front and center in that pic.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/campus.cheer.oklahoma.state.kellee/images/cheerleader.ABOO0387.jpg

Now if that's not marriage material, I don't know what is.

Joebob034
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
well good weekend for Michigan. Everything that needed to happen happened in order for them to get a BCS bowl bid. BTW Gus Johnson needs to take Ritalin before announcing games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WDT9yFhhmYU

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Annnnnnnnd we're stuck with a fucking LSU/Alabama rematch :|

Yeah, the BCS works perfectly, no need for a playoff system :roll:

deebakes
12-05-2011, 02:45 AM
that's exactly why i don't follow college football... bunch of :bs: imo

Joebob034
12-05-2011, 03:06 AM
yup, the rematch that nobody outside of Ala. or LSU wants. OSU wins their conference. Bama not only doesn't win their conference but doesn't win their division and already had their shot at LSU AT HOME but still gets to go to the title game. Oh well at least UofM got a BCS bowl berth. Meanwhile I get to listen to all these Sparties cry and moan :mrgreen:

deebakes
12-05-2011, 03:10 AM
they have got to do something about this bcs bullshit. they would make the final games 100x more interesting for a general audience then the currently are. now at the end of the "regular season" there is a huge delay until the "championship", whatever the bowl happens to be this year. i know that i pay no attention unless it is a team i care to watch. a few years ago, i would have loved to see boise state in a meaningful game, not some random shit bowl that the outcome does absolutely nothing for anyone.

Joebob034
01-04-2012, 05:45 AM
woohoo Michigan wins the Sugar Bowl :cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-04-2012, 11:50 AM
woohoo Michigan wins the Sugar Bowl :cheerlead:

Which means absolutely nothing in the world of the BCS :tup:

Joebob034
01-04-2012, 05:05 PM
but it means something to the fans

DemonGeminiX
01-10-2012, 03:54 AM
LSU doesn't look like a number 1 team.

:-k

This game is really boring. :meh:

deebakes
01-10-2012, 04:36 AM
i'm not even bothering :lol:

RBP
01-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Roll Tide

deebakes
01-10-2012, 04:40 AM
such a flawed system :|

deebakes
01-10-2012, 04:41 AM
how can they honestly call alabama the champs when they lost to lsu once and lsu lost to them once? :-k

:bs:

RBP
01-10-2012, 04:43 AM
:shrug:

deebakes
01-10-2012, 05:24 AM
:suicide:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Didn't even watch a second of it because the BCS is utter bullshit

Joebob034
01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Did either of these schools ever hear of the forward pass before? It was like they were afraid to throw on each other.

deebakes
01-11-2012, 03:00 AM
Didn't even watch a second of it because the BCS is utter bullshit

:+1:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Just got a text from my local sports station....they are reporting that Joe Paterno died

deebakes
01-22-2012, 02:21 AM
:shock:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Joe Paterno just died.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Joe-Paterno-dies-Penn-State-legendary-football-coach-012112

deebakes
01-22-2012, 05:41 PM
:rip: jopa :rip:

Oofty Goofty
01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
That damn pedophile killed him!

DemonGeminiX
11-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Hooray, chaos!

RBP
11-18-2012, 04:43 AM
Hooray, chaos!

:cheerlead:

Great fun to watch!

RBP
11-18-2012, 04:49 AM
ND #1 :cheerlead:

Hmmm, gotta give OSU #2... stupid sanctions.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2012, 11:27 AM
ND #1 :cheerlead:

Hmmm, gotta give OSU #2... stupid sanctions.

Fuck Notre Dame...they are one of the myriad of reasons that make the BCS a complete and utter fucking joke.

RBP
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Fuck Notre Dame...they are one of the myriad of reasons that make the BCS a complete and utter fucking joke.

Why?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Why?

Because they are allowed to stay independent but given the same standing as teams that play in conferences. All Notre Dame has to do is finish in the top 8 and they can play in a BCS Bowl game. No other school outside the BCS conferences gets that privilege.

RBP
11-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Because they are allowed to stay independent but given the same standing as teams that play in conferences. All Notre Dame has to do is finish in the top 8 and they can play in a BCS Bowl game. No other school outside the BCS conferences gets that privilege.

But if their strength of schedule is comparable, what's the difference?

DemonGeminiX
11-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Call me bitter if you want, but I'm loving the fact that Georgia is spanking the shit out of Georgia Tech right now.

:woot: :dance: :meatspin:

RBP
11-24-2012, 07:48 PM
you're bitter :hand:

DemonGeminiX
11-24-2012, 07:49 PM

RBP
11-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Good game @USC tonight. 16-10 ND at the half.

RBP
12-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Holy Fuck!! :shock:

Northern Illinois ranked 15th and playing in the Orange Bowl against Florida State??? :cheerlead:

Shady
12-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Holy Fuck!! :shock:

Northern Illinois ranked 15th and playing in the Orange Bowl against Florida State??? :cheerlead:

I like NIU but they are going to get ass raped.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2012, 04:20 PM

:qft:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
And I really can't stand Alabama, but I can't wait for them to lay the beatdown on fucking Notre Dame.

Shady
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Bama and FSU are going to make me some money.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
What's the spread on the Alabama/ND game?

Shady
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Bama is a 9 point favorite right now.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
They should cover easily

RBP
12-05-2012, 06:23 PM

:qft:

:hater:

And I'll take ND and 9 all day.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2012, 06:27 PM
And lose all day too :nana:

RBP
12-05-2012, 06:29 PM
And lose all day too :nana:

Is that a bet?

I'll take NIU and 14 also.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-31-2012, 06:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kNdD7.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2013, 03:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3gG1P.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tWluG.png

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Qdad0.jpg

RBP
01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3gG1P.jpg

Can someone explain this to my pea-brain... I assume Tebow cried is a Florida loss to 'bama, and of course I get ND tried and roll tide.

But Cam lied? and trees died? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Can someone explain this to my pea-brain... I assume Tebow cried is a Florida loss to 'bama, and of course I get ND tried and roll tide.

But Cam lied? and trees died? :-k

I assume the Cam lied part has to do with the eligibility controversy from 2010 (who just happened to go to Auburn, Alabama's main rival):

Newton spent much of the second half of the 2010 football season embroiled in a controversy regarding allegations that his father, Cecil Newton, had sought substantial sums of money in return for his son playing for a major college football team, in violation of National Collegiate Athletic Association rules.[37] In early November 2010, several Mississippi State University athletic boosters reported to the media that, during their recruitment of his son out of Blinn College nearly a year earlier, Cecil Newton said that it would take "more than just a scholarship" to secure his son's services. This demand was communicated by booster and former Mississippi State football player Kenny Rogers to fellow boosters and former teammates Bill Bell and John Bond. Rogers said in a Dallas radio interview that Cecil Newton said it would take "anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000" to get his son to transfer to Mississippi State.[38] Auburn maintained throughout the investigation, which had begun several months before the public was made aware of it,[39] that they were not involved in any pay-for-play scheme and that Cam Newton was fully eligible to play.

On November 30, Auburn declared Cam Newton ineligible after the NCAA found evidence that Cecil Newton solicited Mississippi State $120,000 to $180,000 in exchange for Cam Newton's athletic service, a violation of amateurism.[39] Auburn immediately filed to have him reinstated on the basis that Kenny Rogers could not be considered an agent and that Cam Newton was not aware of his father’s illegal activity.[39] The NCAA eventually sided with Auburn and reinstated Newton the next day on December 1, declaring him eligible for the 2010 SEC Championship Game three days later, stating that there was not sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn had any knowledge of Cecil Newton's actions.[40] Auburn subsequently limited the access Cecil Newton had to the program as result of NCAA findings. Also, due to increased pressure by the media and the NCAA investigation, Cecil Newton announced he would not attend the Heisman Trophy Ceremony.[41] The NCAA reinstatement did not clear Cecil Newton of any wrongdoing; it did, however, establish Cam Newton's eligibility as a candidate for the Heisman Trophy, which he won in a landslide victory with 2,263 points and 729 first-place votes.[42]

In October 2011, the NCAA officially closed its 13-month investigation into the recruitment of Cam Newton, unable to substantiate any allegation or speculation of illicit recruiting by Auburn,[43][44] and concluded that Cecil Newton only solicited a cash payment from Mississippi State and no other institution attempting to recruit his son.[39] The investigation, which consisted of over 50 interviews and the reviewing of numerous bank records, IRS documents, telephone records, and e-mail messages, resulted in no findings that would indicate Auburn participated in any pay-for-play scenario in signing Cam Newton.[45][46] The NCAA said that the allegations failed to "meet a burden of proof, which is a higher standard than rampant public speculation online and in the media" and that the allegations were not "based on credible and persuasive information".[44][46] The NCAA's Stacey Osburn said "We've done all we can do. We've done all the interviews. We've looked into everything and there's nothing there. Unless something new comes to light that's credible and we need to look at, it's concluded."[47]

And the trees died part might have to do with the poisoning of the Auburn tree by an Alabama fan?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/The-Auburn-oak-tree-killer-is-in-custody-but-da?urn=ncaaf-322882

RBP
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
You're a smarter man than me Mr Lance. Thanks.

I really need to learn to Google. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Miami releases 2013 football schedule

Aug. 30 FLORIDA ATLANTIC (Friday)
Sept. 7 FLORIDA
Sept. 14 OPEN
Sept. 21 SAVANNAH STATE
Sept. 28 at South Florida
Oct. 5 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 12 OPEN
Oct. 17 at North Carolina (Thursday), ESPN
Oct. 26 WAKE FOREST
Nov. 2 at Florida State
Nov. 9 VIRGINIA TECH
Nov. 16 at Duke
Nov. 23 VIRGINIA
Nov. 29 at Pittsburgh (Friday), ABC, ESPNor ESPN2

Go Canes!

I wish it was football season already :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Oh boy....Colorado State is playing AT Alabama tomorrow :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2013, 10:20 PM
That won't be pretty.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2013, 10:47 PM
I just checked the point spread....it's 39 :shakehead:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Muskingum University freshman provides the punt return of the year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB_WO5q5l5I

RBP
12-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Fresno State loses to San Jose State 62-52 :woot:

That mean if Nothern Illinois wins the MAC championship and finishes 13-0 they should be back in a BCS bowl for the 2nd straight year! :dance:

Jordan Lynch for the Heisman!!

RBP
12-02-2013, 03:26 AM
With Fresno State out (back at No. 23), Northern Illinois held on to a potential at-large bid, as it remains at No. 14.

It looks almost certain that the Huskies will take one at-large spot, if they beat Bowling Green for the MAC title Friday.

Go Huskies!! :woot:

RBP
12-02-2013, 03:33 AM
Lynch deserves it!

Heisman Watch 2013: Updated Top 5 Rankings for Week 14

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1871265-heisman-watch-2013-updated-top-5-rankings-for-week-14

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Wow, some damn good games this past weekend. Even though it didn't work out, the coach for Michigan has some giant brass balls to go for the win like he did. Good call, I admire people that have the balls to make calls like that.

And just wow on the Auburn/Alabama game...might be the most amazing finish I've ever seen to any game.

DemonGeminiX
12-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Fresno State loses to San Jose State 62-52 :woot:

That mean if Nothern Illinois wins the MAC championship and finishes 13-0 they should be back in a BCS bowl for the 2nd straight year! :dance:

Jordan Lynch for the Heisman!!

Go Huskies!! :woot:

Lynch deserves it!

Heisman Watch 2013: Updated Top 5 Rankings for Week 14

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1871265-heisman-watch-2013-updated-top-5-rankings-for-week-14

.... and they lost to Bowling Green, 47-27.

RBP
12-07-2013, 03:02 PM
.... and they lost to Bowling Green, 47-27.

They got SMOKED! It was pathetic. So disappointed.

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Looks like Ohio State's gonna fall. Maybe Auburn will play in the National Championship against FSU.

deebakes
12-08-2013, 04:54 AM
i think that is a given now...

too bad the ncaa is rigged :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2013, 04:58 AM
:-k

How so?

deebakes
12-08-2013, 05:02 AM
just seems awfully convenient that auburn, an sec team, will be able to compete for the national championship without any controversy now. can you imagine the discussion if ohio state had won today but then lost huge to fsu?

deebakes
12-08-2013, 05:05 AM
oh, i forgot :tinfoil:

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2013, 05:07 AM
I guess. There should be a playoff system in place. Let the top 28-30 fight it out until February.

deebakes
12-08-2013, 05:08 AM
its next year that they go to the 4 team playoff, right? :-k

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2013, 05:10 AM
I dunno. I haven't really paid any attention to any NCAA rule changes.

deebakes
12-08-2013, 05:24 AM
looks like it is for the 2014 season :-k

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Unlike college football's current title system, the Bowl Championship Series, the new format will not use computer rankings or polls in the selection of its 12 participating teams. Rather, a committee of 13 people will select and seed the teams.

Yeah, that'll be impervious to corruption.

deebakes
12-08-2013, 06:39 AM
condaleeza :woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2013, 11:39 AM
OSU was a pretender all year, they should have lost to Michigan last week if the UM coach hadn't decided to go for 2 and the win. In fact, both FSU and OSU (before their loss to MSU) had the worst strength of schedules in the BCS era. But at least FSU was winning games by 3 or more touchdowns, Ohio State was winning some squeakers that had no business being that close.

Auburn is gonna kill FSU.

deebakes
12-10-2013, 01:27 AM
i doubt it :shrug:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2013, 11:14 AM
They got SMOKED! It was pathetic. So disappointed.

And then they lost to Utah State last night :shakehead:

DemonGeminiX
12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Utah's defense played really tight.

RBP
12-27-2013, 01:43 PM
:sad2:

DemonGeminiX
12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
:empathy:

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Hahahahahaha... Georgia Tech loses to Ole Miss.... hahahahahahaha...

Teh One Who Knocks
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Bwahahahahahahahahaha....Alabama was whining that the one loss shouldn't have kept them out of the title game and that they are still the best team in the country....and then go out and lose to Oklahoma :lmao:

:haha:

DemonGeminiX
01-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I wanted Auburn to win.

:dunno:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Me too, I fucking hate FSU :x

deebakes
01-08-2014, 03:49 AM
i had to mute the tv when i was watching last night because i couldn't stand the fucking chant that fsu fans do all the fucking time :x

DemonGeminiX
01-28-2014, 08:56 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-athletes-take-step-toward-forming-union-northwestern-kain-colter-steelworkers-012814

CHICAGO -- Football players at Northwestern are spearheading the formation of a first-of-its-kind union for college athletes.

Outgoing Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter joined union leaders Tuesday in Chicago to announce the creation of the College Athletes Players Association.

He says the NCAA currently dictates conditions. He says athletes need "a seat at the table" to guarantee safeguards against injuries and to ensure adequate financial compensation.

The first step is to apply for certification by the National Labor Relations Board on behalf of Northwestern football players. The hope is to be successful, then look toward other schools.

United Steelworkers official Tim Waters spoke alongside Colter. He says the key issue is whether college football players are employees. He says if they're deemed employees, they have the right to organize.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Yeah, good luck with that

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2014, 05:21 PM
by NESN Staff

Alabama head coach Nick Saban is doing everything he can to make his life as a defensive-minded coach easier. Saban fully supports the NCAA rules committee on a proposed change that would prevent teams from running the hurry-up offense. The change would allow defenses to substitute players in the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock. If an offense snaps the ball before the 29-second mark, they would be flagged for delay of game. Saban spoke to the committee about the rule. “Coach Saban asked for the opportunity to meet with the committee and talk about this,” NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding told ESPN.com on Thursday. “It’s not routine, but it’s not unique, either.” Obviously, not all coaches are in support of the rule. Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy and Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez, who both run up-tempo offenses, have come out against the proposed change. The committee will meet March 6 to decide whether to approve the rule change.

DemonGeminiX
03-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Say goodbye to college football scholarships...

Revolutionary ruling: Fed agency says Northwestern players can unionize

CHICAGO -- In a stunning ruling that could revolutionize college sports, a federal agency said Wednesday that football players at Northwestern University can create the nation's first union of college athletes.

The decision by a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board means it agrees football players at the Big Ten school qualify as employees under federal law and therefore can legally unionize.

"Based on the entire record in this case, I find that the Employer's football players who receive scholarships fall squarely within (federal labor law's) broad definition of 'employee,'" Peter Sung Ohr, the NLRB regional director, said in his 24-page decision.

An employee is generally regarded by law as someone who receives compensation for a service and is under the direct control of managers. Players argued that their scholarships are compensation and coaches are their managers.

The Evanston, Ill-based university argued college athletes, as students, don't fit in the same category as factory workers, truck drivers and other unionized workers. Immediately after the ruling, the school announced it plans to appeal to labor authorities in Washington, D.C.

Alan Cubbage, Northwestern's vice president for university relations, said in a statement that while the school respects "the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it."

The specific goals of the College Athletes Players Association, or CAPA, which would take the lead in organizing the players, include guaranteeing coverage of sports-related medical expenses for current and former players, ensuring better procedures to reduce head injuries and potentially letting players pursue commercial sponsorships.

But critics have argued that giving college athletes employee status and allowing them to unionize could hurt college sports in numerous ways, including by raising the prospects of strikes by disgruntled players or lockouts by athletic departments.

For now, the push is to unionize athletes at private schools, such as Northwestern, because the federal labor agency does not have jurisdiction over public universities.

Outgoing Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter took a leading role in establishing CAPA. The United Steelworkers union has been footing the legal bills.

Colter, whose eligibility has been exhausted and who has entered the NFL draft, said nearly all of the 85 scholarship players on the Wildcats roster backed the union bid, though only he expressed his support publicly.

CAPA attorneys argued that college football is, for all practical purposes, a commercial enterprise that relies on players' labor to generate billions of dollars in profits. That, they contend, makes the relationship of schools to players one of employers to employees.

In its endeavor to have college football players be recognized as essential workers, CAPA likened scholarships to employment pay -- too little pay from its point of view. Northwestern balked at that claim, describing scholarship as grants.

The NCAA has been under increasing scrutiny over its amateurism rules and is fighting a class-action federal lawsuit by former players seeking a cut of the billions of dollars earned from live broadcasts, memorabilia sales and video games. Other lawsuits allege the NCAA failed to protect players from debilitating head injuries.

NCAA President Mark Emmert has pushed for a $2,000-per-player stipend to help athletes defray some of expenses. Critics say that isn't nearly enough, considering players help bring in millions of dollars to their schools and conferences.

During the NLRB's five days of hearings in February, Wildcats coach Pat Fitzgerald took the stand for union opponents, and his testimony sometimes was at odds with Colter's.

Colter told the hearing that players' performance on the field was more important to Northwestern than their in-class performance, saying, "You fulfill the football requirement and, if you can, you fit in academics." Asked why Northwestern gave him a scholarship of $75,000 a year, he responded: "To play football. To perform an athletic service."

But Fitzgerald said he tells players academics come first, saying, "We want them to be the best they can be ... to be a champion in life."

An attorney representing the university, Alex Barbour, noted Northwestern has one of the highest graduation rates for college football players in the nation, around 97 percent. Barbour insisted, "Northwestern is not a football factory."

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/federal-agency-gives-college-football-players-at-northwestern-university-right-unionize-032614

Teh One Who Knocks
08-18-2014, 12:59 PM
The AP Pre-Season Poll

http://i.imgur.com/r1zxNTo.png

RBP
09-07-2014, 03:41 AM
NIU over NU!! :dance:

DemonGeminiX
09-14-2014, 12:58 AM
Wow. Spurrier's #24 Gamecocks outplays Richt's #6 Bulldogs. Georgia falls to South Carolina.

DemonGeminiX
09-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Virginia Tech falls to unranked East Carolina.

DemonGeminiX
09-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Georgia State almost beat Georgia Tech. Too bad.

RBP
09-14-2014, 02:43 AM
NIU 48 - UNLV 34 :dance:

25 straight regular season victories :woot:

17 straight true road game victories :woot:

DemonGeminiX
09-14-2014, 03:32 AM
I was hoping Texas would beat UCLA, but oh well. It was close.

RBP
09-21-2014, 06:01 AM
:facepalm:

Not your finest hour, boys. Regroup. Long season.

RBP
09-06-2015, 03:06 AM
NIU 38 - UNLV 30

Undefeated!

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2015, 10:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/xpDMDau.jpg

DemonGeminiX
09-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I've never understood how you could be a Hurricanes fan. My cousin is too... and the bastard's never even been to Miami.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2015, 06:09 PM
I grew up in a state with ZERO D1 football schools :dunno:

I think they may have been one of the first teams I ever watched on TV when I was a kid and it just stuck.

RBP
09-20-2015, 12:50 AM
Ohio State 20 - Northern Illinois 13.

My 34.5 point underdog had a serious shot to win that game. :shock:

RBP
09-20-2015, 11:11 AM
wtf? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQ9Fiiqu8k

deebakes
09-20-2015, 02:26 PM
i was watching that live :rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLDJyMjwb8

RBP
10-19-2015, 11:44 AM
wow. :lol:

deebakes
10-20-2015, 01:23 AM
holy christ :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Nice to see that it only took the worst loss in the history of Miami football to finally get the head coach fired :|

DemonGeminiX
10-26-2015, 12:35 PM
I still can't believe Ga Tech beat FSU. Talk about being in a state of shock.

DemonGeminiX
09-04-2016, 01:32 AM
Notable victims of week 1 (so far):

(5) LSU lost to unranked Wisconsin.
(16) UCLA lost to unranked Texas A&M
(3) Oklahoma lost to (15) Houston

I love chaos.

DemonGeminiX
09-05-2016, 10:13 AM
(10) Notre Dame lost to Texas (unranked).

deebakes
09-05-2016, 05:25 PM
i love it every time notre dame loses :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2016, 10:58 AM
i love it every time notre dame loses :lol:

:agreed:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Hurricanes are 1-0 :cheers:

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2016, 12:06 AM
(22) Oklahoma State falls to unranked Central Michigan.

deebakes
09-11-2016, 12:40 AM
:haha:

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2016, 10:28 AM
(15) TCU falls to unranked Arkansas in 2OT.

DemonGeminiX
09-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Today's upsets:

(13) Iowa loses to unranked North Dakota State

(2) Florida State loses to (10) Louisville

at halftime, (1) Alabama is currently down 7 points against (19) Ole Miss.

DemonGeminiX
09-18-2016, 12:08 AM
Alabama pulled it out.

:sad2:

deebakes
09-18-2016, 03:42 AM
notre dame lost again :tup:

DemonGeminiX
09-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Unranked California beat (11) Texas.

Unranked Nebraska beat (22) Oregon.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2016, 10:52 AM
notre dame lost again :tup:

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Upsets and other junk:

For Dee: Notre Dame lost again, this time to Duke. Also Minnesota beat Colorado State.

For me: Georgia Tech lost to (5) Clemson.

(12) Georgia is beaten by (23) Ole Miss. :(

(8) Michigan State is beaten by (11) Wisconsin.

More upsets will come as they're posted on the scoreboards.

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2016, 01:44 AM
(18) LSU is beaten by unranked Auburn.

deebakes
09-26-2016, 01:15 AM

DemonGeminiX
10-30-2016, 11:31 AM
A bunch of upsets this week.

South Florida (unranked) beat Navy (22)
Oklahoma State (unranked) beat West Virginia (10)
Texas (unranked) beat Baylor (8)
Wyoming (unranked) beat Boise State (13)
Wisconsin (11) beat Nebraska (7)
South Carolina (unranked) beat Tennessee (18)

Notre Dame beat Miami. (Sorry Dee and Lance)

Florida beat Georgia. Georgia's really going in the wrong direction. :(

deebakes
10-30-2016, 12:47 PM
notre dame has lost at least enough so far to make people not argue that they aren't being given a fair shot :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-29-2016, 06:26 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welp, that wasn&#39;t supposed to happen. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SCNotTop10?src=hash">#SCNotTop10</a> <a href="https://t.co/OCOwjzew3n">https://t.co/OCOwjzew3n</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/813949748654772224">December 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Oops :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2017, 04:00 AM
1st upset of the season:

Unranked Maryland defeats (23) Texas in Texas.

RBP
09-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Howard pulls off shocker, beats UNLV as 45 point underdog behind play of Cam Newton’s little brother

The Rebels were shocked on Saturday night in Las Vegas by Howard, an FCS team from across the country that recently hired former Virginia coach Mike London. Several sports books had the Bison, which were 3-19 the past two years coming into the game, as between a 45 and 46 point underdog. That means the team surpasses then-41 point underdog Stanford’s upset of powerhouse USC back in 2007 as the biggest shocker in college football ever according to certain folks in the south Nevada desert.

As crazy as even pulling off the win was for Howard, the story gets even better as they were led on Saturday night by a new star quarterback, Caylin Newton. Perhaps you might recognize that last name and yes, indeed, that’s Heisman winner Cam Newton little brother. The young signal-caller accounted for three touchdowns, ran for 190 yards and threw for another 140 as somebody the UNLV defense simply did not have an answer for.

The loss is already being labeled as the worst in school history in Las Vegas and… well, yeah. Some folks wondered what the program had to lose when they hired a high school head coach to run things and it appears now we know.

https://i.imgur.com/2kCdomK.png

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2017, 06:04 PM
UNLV was ranked 113th before the game.

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2017, 03:22 AM
University of Georgia 20
Notre Dame 19

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2017, 03:25 AM
#5 Oklahoma defeats #2 Ohio State, 31 - 16

RBP
09-17-2017, 01:31 PM

http://i65.tinypic.com/2drtp43.png

DemonGeminiX
09-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Unranked Memphis upsets 25 UCLA
24 Florida beat 23 Tennessee
Unranked Mississippi State defeated 12 LSU
Unranked Vanderbilt won against 18 Kansas State
Unranked San Diego State won against 19 Stanford

I love chaos. :twisted:

DemonGeminiX
09-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Upsets for the week:

(24) Oregon 35
Unranked Arizona State 37

(16) TCU 44
(6) Oklahoma State 31

Unranked North Carolina State 27
(12) Florida State 21

DemonGeminiX
10-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Upsets for the week:

Unranked Troy defeats #25 LSU
#16 Washington State upsets #5 USC

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Wow, Georgia got their asses beat hard by Auburn. They won't be #2 come Monday.

deebakes
11-12-2017, 03:37 AM
notre dame is getting pretty well beat down as well :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2017, 11:22 AM
notre dame is getting pretty well beat down as well :-k

https://i.imgur.com/OX8g45r.jpg

RBP
11-15-2017, 02:17 PM
How is Wisconsin not playoff worthy at this point? If they beat Michigan Saturday to go to 11-0 and are still not in the top 4, that's horsehockey.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Settle down there Col. Potter :hand:

The Canes are #3 :banana:

RBP
11-15-2017, 02:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6V6m1Gw.jpg?1

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Canes are up to #2 :woot:

Huge game against Clemson next week in the ACC Championship game.

RBP
11-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Canes are up to #2 :woot:

Huge game against Clemson next week in the ACC Championship game.

Ohhhhh... so that's where Wisconsin moves up.

DemonGeminiX
11-26-2017, 12:35 AM
Auburn beat Alabama

RBP
11-26-2017, 05:31 AM
Auburn beat Alabama

And Pitt beat Miami! :shock:

RBP
12-01-2017, 05:54 AM
https://i.imgur.com/NPfwL62.png?1

deebakes
12-03-2017, 04:39 PM
i'm loving the situation that is developing :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Alabama got the final playoff spot. They just will not go away. :lol:

RBP
12-04-2017, 04:35 AM
Alabama got the final playoff spot. They just will not go away. :lol:

I think that's bullshit, but what do I know...

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2017, 11:31 AM
I think that's bullshit, but what do I know...

Do you want the long answer or the short answer? :-k

:banana:

RBP
12-04-2017, 12:21 PM
:slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Cork Gaines - Business Insider

https://i.imgur.com/9RiK8jd.jpg

The College Football Playoff field is set and there was one controversial decision — the committee took Alabama over Ohio State.

While our projection had Alabama in as the fourth team rather easily, many felt that Ohio State had he stronger resume based on bigger wins and the sometimes important conference championship. Playoff committee chairman Kirby Hocutt made it sound like the decision wasn't that hard, calling the Buckeyes' 31-point loss to unranked Iowa "damaging" and noting that the committee felt Alabama was "clearly the No. 4 team in the country.".

The decision was also controversial because it means this year's playoff will have no teams from the Big Ten and the Pac-12. Instead, it will have two teams from the SEC, including one team that did not reach their conference championship game.

Of course, all of that would easily be fixed if the NCAA would just move to the one thing most fans want — an 8-team playoff.

Here is what the 8-team playoff would look like this season based on the final rankings. The champions of the Power 5 conferences received automatic bids, and then we gave the final three spots to the highest ranked team from a Group of 5 conferences and two at-large teams.

https://i.imgur.com/NwVSHE2h.jpg

An 8-team playoff solves two of the biggest gripes against the current system: 1) winning a Power 5 conference would mean something more than just a tiebreaker between otherwise even teams; and 2) it would give a team like undefeated UCF a chance to prove they can play with the big schools.

It also doesn't hurt that Alabama and Ohio State would settle their debate on the field.

Under this scenario, the top six teams in the current playoff ranking would be included in the playoff. The biggest loser would be 3-loss Auburn, ranked seventh, something that would be much easier to swallow than keeping out Alabama or Ohio State.

The talking heads would still have things to debate and scream at each other about. But instead of debating the merits of Ohio State vs Alabama, they might debate the merits of Wisconsin, Auburn, Penn State, and Miami for the final at-large spot.

The playoff could include a provision requiring the top Group of 5 team to have a minimum ranking, with the alternative being a third at-large team. That is not without problems though. If the Group of 5 team were on the cusp of the minimum ranking (e.g. No. 15), it could play into the committees discussion on where to rank them, if they prefer to include a third at-large team.

The bigger problem is adding yet another game to the schedule of the two teams that reach the championship game, making their seasons 16 games long. Then again, it is not unheard of for FCS teams to play 16 games at a level where there is already an expanded playoff format. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

In the meantime, an 8-team playoff solves most of FBS' biggest problems when it comes to determining a champion. Other problems, like giving some of that newly found revenue to the players, well, that's another topic for another day.

DemonGeminiX
12-04-2017, 07:22 PM
I agree with that.

DemonGeminiX
10-14-2018, 01:27 AM
LSU beat Georgia bad. The Bulldogs are gonna fall in the standings.

RBP
10-14-2018, 12:41 PM
LSU beat Georgia bad. The Bulldogs are gonna fall in the standings.

I imagine they'd have to win out AND beat Alabama in the SEC title game to have a shot at the playoffs now.

Notre Dame still undefeated. Welcome back, Irish, we've missed you.

Here's the fascinating one. UCF is 6-0 after going 13-0 last year as the only undefeated team in the Division 1. If they do it again, they deserve a shot. C'mon man. I want to see a mid major in there.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Notre Dame still undefeated. Welcome back, Irish, we've missed you.

No we didn't :hand:

RBP
10-15-2018, 11:35 AM
No we didn't :hand:

Local and sentimental. A lot of us grew up with a dad that was like Rudy's dad.

https://i.imgur.com/enKSB0Y.gif

DemonGeminiX
10-27-2018, 11:16 PM
Yay!!! Georgia won!! :cheerlead:

RBP
11-04-2018, 05:03 AM
The LSU myth is over. :lol:

RBP
11-04-2018, 05:06 AM
If UCF goes undefeated again, let them play. They've earned it.

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2018, 04:16 PM
If UCF goes undefeated again, let them play. They've earned it.

Against a bunch of unranked teams?

deebakes
11-04-2018, 07:38 PM
yes, give them a chance to play :shrug:

RBP
11-04-2018, 11:38 PM
Against a bunch of unranked teams?

I understand the argument, strength of schedule. You probably remember the Cinderella story of the 2007 Hawaii team who was undefeated at 12-0, but given no consideration for the national title. They got smoked by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2018, 12:46 AM
I think we'd need a larger playoff format to even consider including them.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 12:49 PM
By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/FdstdT.jpg

James Carville, the former lead strategist for Bill Clinton’s presidential campaign, slammed ESPN on Saturday after the network issued an apology for his theory the SEC is essentially working for Alabama.

Carville, 74, appeared on ESPN’s “College Gameday” and offered a hot take about the suspension of LSU linebacker Devin White, who didn’t appear in the first half of the game against Alabama because of a targeting penalty he received the week before against Mississippi State.

Carville, who graduated from LSU, said on the network it wasn’t a coincidence White was suspended.

“Tennessee’s best defensive player couldn’t play against Alabama because of the SEC. Missouri’s best defensive player couldn’t play against Alabama because the SEC kicked him out. [Texas] A&M’s best defensive player couldn’t play against Alabama ’cause [sic] he was taken out,” Carville said.
“And now, the best defensive player in the conference is not going to play the first half for nothing. He did nothing wrong.”

Carville had also written an op-ed in The Advocate in late October calling on SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey to overturn the suspension.

“In the name of all that is right, holy and just in this world, I beg SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey— tear this abomination of a decision down now,” he wrote.

ESPN issued an apology over Carville’s statement on the SEC.

“While appearing as a guest on ‘College GameDay’ earlier today, James Carville offered his thoughts on SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey,” ESPN said in a statement. “As we regularly demonstrate here on ESPN, diverse opinions are encouraged. However, these actions were over the top, and we would like to apologize to Commissioner Sankey for them.”

Carville didn’t take too kindly to ESPN’s apology. He tweeted a picture of himself hours before kickoff calling the network “gutless.”
“Grabbing bite to eat @philsoysterbar⁩ and I see gutless ESPN cut in their show to bow down to the SEC. well I got documentary evidence they knew what they were gonna get on air but still can’t help but suck up to power,” Carville tweeted.

It didn’t appear White would have made a huge difference in the ball game. Alabama defeated LSU, 29-0.

RBP
11-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Okay, final week.

#1 Alabama will easily beat #4 Georgia
#2 Clemson will easily beat unranked Pitt
#3 Notre Dame is finished at 12-0

That leaves Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, and UCF on the bubble.

#5 Oklahoma plays #14 Texas
#6 Ohio State plays #21 Northwestern
#7 Michigan is done after getting their asses kicked by Ohio State
#8 Undefeated UCF plays unranked Memphis with a backup quarterback after the starter was injured.

If UCF finishes unbeaten after winning with a backup, I vote let the 4 undefeated teams play for the championship. #2 Clemson has only played 2 ranked opponents #19 and #20 and only beat them by 2 points each.
Michigan plays Northwestern in the B10 championship

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2018, 04:46 PM
https://i.imgur.com/nHg5pYG.png

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2018, 03:27 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2980/rr0Tg7.png

Soooooo...Alabama v Clemson final then :-k

RBP
12-03-2018, 03:32 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2980/rr0Tg7.png

Soooooo...Alabama v Clemson final then :-k

I don't think so. I still don't think Clemson's that good.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2018, 03:52 PM
I don't think Notre Dame is that good :dunno:

RBP
12-03-2018, 03:58 PM
I don't think Notre Dame is that good :dunno:

They have God on their side. :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2018, 04:13 PM
They have God on their side. :hand:

Then why are they only #3? :dunno:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-10-2018, 12:10 PM
By Ryan Saavedra - The Daily Wire

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/O6CgNG.jpg

Outrage continued to grow on Sunday over a hit piece written by USA Today blogger Scott Gleeson about Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray, who just won the Heisman Trophy.

Gleeson wrote an article shaming Murray immediately after he won college football's top individual award, over some tweets that he wrote when he was as young as 14-years-old.

"But the Oklahoma quarterback's memorable night also helped resurface social media's memory of several homophobic tweets more than six years old," Gleeson wrote. "When Murray was 15 years old, he tweeted at his friends (via his since-verified Twitter account) using an anti-gay slur to defame them."

Gleeson later updated his piece to include Murray's apology, claiming that the star quarterback "took accountability" after Gleeson's hit piece on him.

The backlash to Gleeson's absurd piece exploded on Sunday morning, with tens of thousands of people expressing outrage over the fact that this blogger decided to attack a young man during one of the greatest moments of his life over comments he made years prior when he was 14. On the initial tweet from USA Today alone, more than 6,900 people commented on it with nearly all the comments disapproving of the article.

Here are some of the top responses to Gleeson's article that got the most traction on social media: