PDA

View Full Version : So... Prometheus...

Muddy
04-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Anybody heard of one? Apparently im crazy for saying chalkboard to the kids... They look at me like im crazy.. And they say this word.. Prometheus.. And im like what is a prometheus? And again they view me as crazy... So i come inside and google this sci-fi sounding device... Wow. Have times have changed.

Noilly Pratt
04-26-2013, 01:32 AM
In Greek mythology he's the dude who supposedly created people from clay. But, do tell what you mean. I have a 10 year old and must at least keep up the appearance of being "hip". :)

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Never heard of it.

Loser
04-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Yolo motherfucker is ratchet as hell.

Now if you'll excuse me...:suicide:

redred
04-26-2013, 09:35 AM
so it's not the film?

Pony
04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Prometheus was the first, and for a long time the only, deep-space battleship built by the Tau'ri. The ship was operated by the United States Air Force, and her crew consisted of Air Force personnel. Operationally, however, Prometheus fell under the purview of the Office of Homeworld Security. Prometheus used Asgard technology in her hyperdrive engine and shields (There may be other uses of Asgard technology installed). This technology was fitted by the Asgard in return for Earth's help in fighting the Replicators. She also relied on some Goa'uld technology, most notably the Transportation rings.

Since the ship's destruction in 2006, Prometheus has remained the sole 303-class ship to be constructed, the planned BC-303 series having been rendered obsolete by 304 battlecruiser, an altogether superior vessel.

:-k

Muddy
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Ok Well... It's known as an "Interactive White Board"

Apparently it's a technology used in the kids classrooms now.. Instead of a Chalkboard you have a Promethean board. It is a huge 95" interactive board with a projector built into it.. Kids can write on it and the really neat thing is each desk has a tablet that can directly interact with the prometheus from their desk which can inturn project what the child is saying or doing onto the screen for all to interact with and learn...

http://i.imgur.com/mnlkEFg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DxEllRV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NRkjIQj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5bm7q3h.png
http://i.imgur.com/ESDjxZA.png

This is also where the principal is projected when he makes the daily announcements or any other inter school communication..

This shit is wayyy out there.. And My kid has had it for 3 years.. And doesnt know what a black board is.. :lol:

Acid Trip
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
All this technology and kids are still coming out of school half brain dead.

Bring back chalkboards, paddles, and rulers!

redred
04-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Back when i was a lad we had slate and a chisel for school work

Muddy
04-26-2013, 02:10 PM
All this technology and kids are still coming out of school half brain dead.

Bring back chalkboards, paddles, and rulers!

We have some pretty smart kids in our schools in our area.. The SOL garbage runs in the 95-98% percentage.

They also have NO books in class.. 100% interaction is through a county issued laptop.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2013, 02:47 PM
They don't have those at my kids schools :(

redred
04-26-2013, 02:52 PM
We have some pretty smart kids in our schools in our area.. The SOL garbage runs in the 95-98% percentage.

They also have NO books in class.. 100% interaction is through a county issued laptop.

so they don't learn how to write?

Pony
04-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Have you seen how kids spell these days?

Lambchop
04-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Won't be long now until kids are implanted with an iLearn chip and can simply download their curriculum through their nearest WiFi hotspot (with an occasional seizure inducing advert)

Muddy
04-26-2013, 03:24 PM

Good point.. That ties in to this article Lance posted earlier.. :lol:

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?49517-hi-m8-do-U-have-NE-nice-eZ-jobs-4-me-2-do-Report-finds-young-people-have-unrealistic-expectations-of-jobs-market-and-write-applications-in-text-speak

I think all the writing skills happen up until the 6th grade.. Then Locutus comes in to teach.. :lol:

redred
04-26-2013, 03:31 PM

is that a dig at me? :lol:

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Like Red would notice anything's amiss?

:lol:

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 04:05 PM

Looks very cool, the interactive part is especially good IMO...

but it's like my niece a couple of years ago. They let the kids go home one day because the school server was down. I asked her - Don't you have any books? She as much gave me the ten headed look...

the no book thing concerns me for some reason, I guess I'm not comfortable that the tech will always be working 24/7. When it goes down, does the teacher have to introduce 'book things' and give them a tutorial on how to use?

Goofy
04-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Back when i was a lad we had slate and a chisel for school work

They had chisels back then? :faint:

Muddy
04-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Looks very cool, the interactive part is especially good IMO...

but it's like my niece a couple of years ago. They let the kids go home one day because the school server was down. I asked her - Don't you have any books? She as much gave me the ten headed look...

the no book thing concerns me for some reason, I guess I'm not comfortable that the tech will always be working 24/7. When it goes down, does the teacher have to introduce 'book things' and give them a tutorial on how to use?

They each have their own laptops with copys of all the textbooks on it.. If a laptop were to die they have a help desk at school to fix it quickly.

***** County Public Schools was one of the first school districts in the United States to distribute laptop computers to students, during the 2001 school year.[11] Initially, the four-year, $18.6 million dollar project was for high school students alone. However, the middle school program was also phased in 2002.[12] Up until the 2005–2006 school year, Apple computers were used exclusively. In 2005, Dell was awarded a contract with HCPS for high school students.[13][14] Middle schoolers received Dells at the beginning of the 2010–2011 school year.[14]

Response to the laptop program has been mainly positive.[15] Up until the 2005–2006 school year, Apple computers were used exclusively. In 2005, Dell was awarded a contract with HCPS for high school students.[13][14] During a random survey where 796 homes were polled, 88% of parents were in favor of continuing the program.[citation needed]

Beginning in the 2009–2010 school year, the county replaced the 8e6 Technologies web filter with that of Lightspeed Systems

Teh One Who Knocks
04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
is that a dig at me? :lol:

No, if that was a dig at you, he would have mentioned capitalization and punctuation too :lmao:

Muddy
04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Can you tell by my first post I was 4 or 5 goods beers deep? :lol:

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 05:10 PM

actually it was very conversational and informative...made me google it

:lol: keep it up

redred
04-26-2013, 05:16 PM

No seemed fine with the rum eyes i had

Muddy
04-26-2013, 05:22 PM

Noilly Pratt
04-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Hmmm...guess we live in the poor side of town. We have a unique situation in that my daughter's school has a modified Montessori type program. It's not full-on that curriculum, but the teaching methods are different, and the kids seem to thrive in it.

My daughter's teacher - she's in Grade 4 - encourages iPads (Ipad 2's BTW) and the kids use them for "Tech Club" for an hour after school with them. They record their skits and make slideshows. They have Mac laptops available but only use them for an hour or so.

My kid still writes in her "planner" (booklet given to every Grade 4 in BC) and that way we can see it every night and be sure she does her homework as she writes a "to do" list of homework before the end of the day. And the school has Whiteboards all around. Almost every kid is a great speller, and those that aren't the other kids help them and they are given time to do this - if you have no need for help, it's reading time and it must be a book.

And she gets a pile of homework during the week, but the weekends are free.

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
and then the massive EMP hits our planet and we got a bunch of kids walking around crying because the computer won't turn on ...

and me too :lol:

Muddy
04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Hmmm...guess we live in the poor side of town. We have a unique situation in that my daughter's school has a modified Montessori type program. It's not full-on that curriculum, but the teaching methods are different, and the kids seem to thrive in it.

My daughter's teacher - she's in Grade 4 - encourages iPads (Ipad 2's BTW) and the kids use them for "Tech Club" for an hour after school with them. They record their skits and make slideshows. They have Mac laptops available but only use them for an hour or so.

My kid still writes in her "planner" (booklet given to every Grade 4 in BC) and that way we can see it every night and be sure she does her homework as she writes a "to do" list of homework before the end of the day. And the school has Whiteboards all around. Almost every kid is a great speller, and those that aren't the other kids help them and they are given time to do this - if you have no need for help, it's reading time and it must be a book.

And she gets a pile of homework during the week, but the weekends are free.

We see the childs daily progress on an interactive web portal where we can communicate directly with the teacher.

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
I know my nephews up in NY have laptops in school. I don't know if they're using this thing, but I can tell you, at 14, my oldest nephew's handwriting is worse than an epileptic 3 year old writing with their lesser dominant hand while having a seizure.

Muddy
04-26-2013, 10:29 PM
I know my nephews up in NY have laptops in school. I don't know if they're using this thing, but I can tell you, at 14, my oldest nephew's handwriting is worse than an epileptic 3 year old writing with their lesser dominant hand while having a seizure.

That's probably just genetics.. I'll post some of my kids handwriting if you are interested? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2013, 10:35 PM
That's probably just genetics.. I'll post some of my kids handwriting if you are interested? :lol:

I don't know about genetics. Personally, I think it's laziness. Nobody's taken the time to teach these kids proper penmanship. ;)

You don't have to show me your kids' handwriting.

Muddy
04-26-2013, 10:36 PM
:lol: Im just messing with you..

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 10:39 PM

wow, that's bad :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2013, 10:43 PM
We see the childs daily progress on an interactive web portal where we can communicate directly with the teacher.

Us too, there is no hiding until report cards anymore :twisted:

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
http://tehbasement.com/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif Im just messing with you..

:slap:

I'll admit, my handwriting's not the best. But both of my siblings' handwriting is fantastic. They were taught in Catholic school in Philadelphia by a priest that told them to 'always write beautifully'. It was a really big deal in Catholic school in the 70s that your handwriting was not just legible, but simple and beautiful. I never met the man. We moved to NJ and my parents put us all in the public school system, so that's the treatment I got.

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 10:46 PM
my handwriting is flowery and ghey, because I write everyday!

:)

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 10:46 PM
less dominant hand while having a seizure...

damn that made me laugh

Muddy
04-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Us too, there is no hiding until report cards anymore :twisted:

Yeah, you can get your ass grounded BEFORE report cards come out.. :lol:

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 10:56 PM

them poor kids

Hal-9000
04-26-2013, 11:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/D9Nbc.jpg