PDA

View Full Version : The strange mountain of sand that is swallowing roads, houses and even a forest... on the Atlantic coast of France

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2013, 01:39 PM
The Daily Mail Staff

Measuring 3km long, 500m wide and 100m high, this menacing wall of sand would look more at home in the Sahara desert than the west coast of France.

Due to a quirk of nature, the Great Dune of Pyla has grown to become the largest sand dune in Europe and is marauding inland with such force it is swallowing houses, roads and even a forest.

It is located on the Atlantic coast in La Teste-de-Buch, around 60km south-west of Bordeaux, and has ballooned over the centuries to consist of 60million cubic metres of sand.

http://i.imgur.com/t1tP3j1.jpg

As a result of westerly Atlantic winds, which continually blows sand onto the shore, the dune is moving at a rate of five metres a year.

It is thought to have doubled in size in the last hundred years alone.

The migrating mountain of sand is pushing the surrounding forest back, has covered roads and houses and has engulfed parts of the Atlantic Wall, an extensive system of coastal fortifications built by Nazi Germany during the Second World War.

In one example, a Bordeaux family decided to build a villa on the edge of the dune in 1928, but two years later the sands began to invade the house.

By 1936, the home had completely disappeared, it was reported by Amusing Planet.

Because of the dune’s unexpected location and beauty, it has become a tourist hotspot, attracting a million visitors every year and is particularly popular with paragliders.

The dune, also known as the Dune Du Pyla, has been created thanks to the position of the Banc D'Arguin, a huge sandbank located around one kilometre off the coastline.

http://i.imgur.com/6U1UlgL.jpg

At low tide, the surface of the sandbank begins to dry, allowing the westerly Atlantic winds to blow it to shore, according to BBC Geography in Animation.

When it reaches land, the sand begins to build into mound and as the wind continues to force more grains up the seaward side, they fall over the crest of the dune.

Gradually, the landward face of the dune becomes steeper and steeper until it reaches an angle of 35 degrees, the point at which it becomes unstable and avalanches down the slope.

http://i.imgur.com/X5CUqDv.png

As this process repeats, the whole dune moves as the landward side, known as the slipface, successively builds and collapses.

This has caused the dune to force its way inland, engulfing and killing the pine trees of the forest of La Teste-de-Buch that lies directly behind it and covering surrounding buildings.

Analysis of a hard, coal-like substance found on the shore reveal the remains of a much older forest, suggesting the process has been cyclical over many centuries.

Muddy
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
That is wild!

deebakes
05-02-2013, 02:42 PM
That is wild!

holy shit, i was going to post the exact same thing :shock:

Hal-9000
05-02-2013, 03:37 PM
That is wild!

thirded....5 meters per year?

that's a little unsettling

In the meantime let's get those surfboards and towels out and play some Beach Boys :dance: