PDA

View Full Version : The 139th Kentucky Derby (SETTLED)

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2013, 03:10 PM
By Chris Korman The Baltimore Sun

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Kentucky Derby favorite Orb comes from one of the country’s oldest racing families, with ties to the greatest horses of the era.

The second choice, Verrazano, is a product of Todd Pletcher’s new-school empire; he’s one of five the trainer is sending to the post.

The third favorite, Goldencents, comes from the trainer who, a year ago, lost the chance to run for a Triple Crown when his horse withdrew with an injury a day before the Belmont.

All three drew favorable starting spots Wednesday in the post-position draw for the 139th run for the roses, and they were established as the horses to beat by Churchill Downs odds-maker Mike Battaglia. The race, worth $2 million and run over a mile and a quarter, is scheduled to go off at 6:24 p.m. Saturday.

Orb is the 7-2 favorite on the morning line and will start from the No. 16 post. Undefeated Verrazano comes in at 4-1 and will break from the 14th position. Goldencents, trained by Doug O’Neill and starting from No. 8, is right behind at 5-1.

“I’m happy my horse is the favorite,” said Orb’s trainer Shug McGaughey, who saddled favorite Easy Goer in 1989 and saw him finish second. “Just means he’s done something to earn it.”

Orb is owned by the Stuart Janney III and Ogden Mills “Dinny” Phipps partnership, which has ties to Ruffian and Secretariat. Janney’s parents bred Ruffian, considered on of the finest fillies of all time, out of Phipps’ family stallion Reviewer, a son of Secretariat sire Bold Ruler. Phipps ran third-place Awe Inspiring in the 1989 Derby; Janney hasn’t had a horse in the Derby.

An impressive short breeze by Orb on Monday — a morning workout in which the rider lets the horse run naturally without much guidance — likely vaulted the Malibu Moon colt into the top spot.

Verrazano has been impressive as well and appeared to be living up to his record as the only undefeated horse in the field. But a reputation for shying away from traffic has followed the colt, who did not race as a 2-year-old and won a slow-paced Wood Memorial by only three-fourths of a length.

NBC Sports analyst Randy Moss said Verrazano’s advantage over Orb is tactical speed — he’ll be close to the lead and will be comfortable no matter where he ends up in relation to the pace-setters. On the other hand, he said Verrazano hasn’t raced in traffic much “and it looks to me like he doesn’t want to be inside other horses.”

Moss said Orb, by contrast, has great closing speed but faces the disadvantages confronted by all late chargers: the possibility of a slow pace and the potential traffic jam created by 20 horses. “But the best horses usually find a way to do it,” Moss said.

Janney, a Butler native, watched the draw from his apartment in New York and was pleased that Orb drew the No. 16 post and wouldn't have to race from the inside.

He also wasn't surprised when he heard that his colt had become the morning-line favorite.

“I had enough people calling me about what's been going on out there with his mornings,” Janney said by phone. “At the beginning of the week I thought it would be Verrazano, but I guess he has moved ahead. It doesn't really matter anyway. You've gotta run the race.”

Pletcher also downplayed the morning line.

“As far as Orb being the favorite over Verrazano, that’s not an issue,” he said. “He deservies to be the favorite. And it might even be an advantage. There’s usually more pressure on the favorite.”

Jockey John Velazquez, who won the 2012 Kentucky Derby on Animal Kingdom, rode both Verrazano and Orb earlier this year but opted to stick with Pletcher, who trains a quarter of the 20-horse field and said the draw “couldn’t have gone any better for all of our horses.”

Joel Rosario will ride Orb — and keep close watch on Verrazano.

“I think from where he is we’ll try to hold our position and maybe try to creep in a little bit around the first turn and then [Rosario] can watch what’s going on inside of him,” McGaughey said. “He can watch what [Velazquez] is doing.”

O’Neill said the No. 8 spot would also allow his jockey, Kevin Krigger, to pick his spot.

“We’re going to bring it back home,” said O’Neill, who won the Derby from the No. 19 post with I’ll Have Another last year.

Another Pletcher horse, Revolutionary, is the fourth choice at 10-1 and will start from the No. 3 spot. He’s ridden by the jockey most known for taking advantage of an inside spot, Calvin Borel — or “Bo-rail.”

The fifth choice on the morning line is Mylute, who will break from the No. 6 position with Rosie Napravnik riding for the chance to become the first woman jockey to win the Derby.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Horses are listed by post position for the race

Goofy
05-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Revolutionary or Verrazano :tup: I wonder if the race is shown live over here :-k

Muddy
05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Somebody stole all my money.. :x

Goofy
05-02-2013, 05:17 PM

:haha:

Muddy
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Oh Wait! I have 100 dollah..

Goofy
05-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Sucky fucky ten dolla

Muddy
05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Then I'd only have 90...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Revolutionary or Verrazano :tup: I wonder if the race is shown live over here :-k

It will be late for you....goes off at just before 6:30 PM EDT

Goofy
05-02-2013, 05:27 PM
It will be late for you....goes off at just before 6:30 PM EDT

Only 4 hours behind us i think, not too late :)

Goofy
05-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Is the racecourse called Churchill Downs? Looking for it on the Racing channel - there's stateside racing from 8.30pm onwards on saturday but no mention of Churchill Downs :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Yup, that's the place

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/

Goofy
05-02-2013, 05:33 PM
:woot:

UK viewers: UK viewers can see The Kentucky Derby live on TV at 23:24 UK time on Saturday May 4 on Racing UK (Sky Channel 432).

Guess i was an hour out with my calculations!

redred
05-02-2013, 05:50 PM

i have the same problem

Teh One Who Knocks
05-03-2013, 08:43 PM
The Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Long shot Black Onyx was a late scratch for the Kentucky Derby because of a chip in his left ankle, leaving 19 horses to vie for the roses.

The scratch occurred Friday after early wagering for the race had opened, so Black Onyx's No. 1 post position will be left empty on Saturday. The remaining horses will stay in their original starting gate positions.

Trainer Kelly Breen said the colt looked good training on Friday, but he had some swelling in the ankle, so an X-ray was taken which revealed the chip.

''He's back in the barn. He's not feeling that bad because he just tried to bite me,'' Breen said. ''It couldn't have been worse timing.''

He said it's too early to know if Black Onyx will need surgery or just recover on his own.

Jockey Joe Bravo was left without a Derby mount. He hasn't won the race in two previous attempts.

''I'm just very thankful that the horse is going to be OK,'' he said. ''I'm just really sorry for the whole team.''

The scratch came too late for Fear the Kitten to get into the Derby. The colt was on the list of also eligibles as the 21st qualifier in the point standings which determine the field.

Black Onyx qualified for the Derby by winning the Spiral Stakes at Turfway Park. He was 50-1 on the morning line.

Goofy
05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I had a fiver (real money) on Orb :dance:

Hal-9000
07-20-2013, 05:49 PM
I only have 100 :|

is there a vLoanshark?