PDA

View Full Version : Three women, missing for a decade, found alive

Pony
05-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Three women, two of them missing for a decade since they were teens in Cleveland, have been found alive, according to police.

A 52-year-old man has been arrested, police say. The women were being treated at the hospital. One of the women reportedly had a baby since she came up missing, according to reports. Hundreds of people and media gathered outside the Cleveland home, where the women were found.

One of the women, Amanda Berry, was last heard from in 2003, when she called her sister to say she was getting a ride home from the Burger King restaurant where she worked, reported the Cleveland TV station WEWS. She was to turn 17 the day after she disappeared.

The other woman, Gina DeJesus, was 14 when she went missing on April 2, 2004.

She was walking home from school.

The third woman, Michelle Knight, 32, was missing since she was 20.

According to WEWS, police officers are at the scene of home on city’s west side. The TV station reports that the women are at the home.

Police have scheduled a press conference for Tuesday.

Pony
05-06-2013, 11:53 PM
This is local to me, we've seen 2 of these girls "missing" pictures everywhere for 10 years. The third is an unknown and was presumed to have left town on her own. All three went missing around the same area over the years.

deebakes
05-07-2013, 01:35 AM
holy shit :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2013, 10:42 AM
By KEVIN DOLAK - ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/2oLDPxO.jpg
Amanda Berry, left, and Gina DeJesus are shown in these undated photos provided by the FBI. (FBI)

Three young women who vanished a decade ago near their homes in Cleveland were found only miles from where they disappeared, and three brothers have been arrested in relation to the incident, according to police.

Gina DeJesus, Amanda Berry and Michele Knight were found alive, and Cleveland Police Commander Keith Sulver said all three women were getting medical treatment but seemed to be in good condition.

"All of them are doing well. They all look good," he said. "They're all talking. They're aware of everything that's going on, and we're just very happy that they're safe and in good condition."

Dr. Gerald Maloney with Metro Health Medical Center said tonight that the women were safe and that the hospital was evaluating their medical needs, and how long they'll stay. The spokesman confirmed that the women are in fair condition at the moment.

"This isn't the ending we usually get," Maloney said. "We're very happy, very happy."

The victims are being examined for possible abuse at the hospital, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Police confirmed to ABC News affiliate WEWS that one of the men taken into custody is 52-year-old Ariel Castro. Police have not released the names of Castro's brother but said they were 50 and 54 years old. Chargers were expected to come within the next 36 hours.

Police have not said how the women were found, but neighbors said they heard cries for help coming from a house, and when they went to investigate kicked open the door of the home to get the women out.

Neighbor Charles Ramsey said that he was eating at McDonald's when he heard a girl screaming.

"I look and I see this girl and she's just going nuts on the door so, I'm like, 'What's your problem? If you're stuck, just open the door.' She said 'I can't, you got it locked,'" he said.

Ramsey said that their attempt to pry the door open failed, so he and his neighbor kicked open the bottom.

"Luckily … it was aluminum, it was cheap," he said, "And she climbed out with her daughter. ... She went to my house, we called 911. When the police got here, she said there are three more girls up there. And that's when Gina DeJesus [came out], and they brought two more girls out."

On a 911 call released tonight Berry can be heard asking police for help.

"Hello police help me I'm Amanda Berry," she said in the call. "I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years and I'm here. I'm free now. ... I've been in the news for the last 10 years ... with Gina."

Ramsey said the women looked malnourished when they came out of the house.

"They look like they haven't been fed in a long time … They were skinny when they came out of that house," he said.

Ramsey told ABC News that he was shocked when police told them whom he had rescued.

"He said, 'Do you know who you just rescued out of the house?' I said brother, 'a couple of females.' He said no, no, no. 'You got Amanda and you got Gina,'" Ramsey said.

Zayda Delgado, a neighbor, told ABC News that she knew one of the women who was discovered.

"It's an unbelievable day. I'm still like in shock," she said. "They were found together and for Mother's Day. ... This is great."

Delgado said Amanda Berry's mother died in 2006.

"I feel bad because the mother died never knowing that her daughter was still alive," she said.

Berry disappeared at age 16 on April 21, 2003, the day before her 17th birthday. She had called her sister to say she was getting a ride home from her job at a Burger King, The Associated Press reported. About a year later, DeJesus, who was 14 at the time, disappeared on her way home from school.

Knight, who was 21 at the time she disappeared, was last seen leaving her cousin's house on Aug. 23, 2002.

Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson responded quickly to the news of the discovery of the women.

"I am thankful that Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight have been found alive," Jackson said. "We have many unanswered questions regarding this case and the investigation will be ongoing. ... I am thankful that these three young ladies are found and alive."

Noilly Pratt
05-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Wow

Here's the interview from the dude who found it out.

Best quote from the interview: “When a white woman jumps into the arms of a black guy, somethin’ wrong here… dead give away. Deeead give away. Either she homeless or she got problems, only reason she run to a black man.”

http://youtu.be/kBJowiFQj_c

Hal-9000
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
"Hello police help me I'm Amanda Berry," she said in the call. "I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years and I'm here. I'm free now. ... I've been in the news for the last 10 years ... with Gina."

beautiful :thumbsup:

Pony
05-07-2013, 04:28 PM

beautiful :thumbsup:

Dispatcher *in a who gives a fuck tone*: We'll send someone around as soon as a car becomes available

Hal-9000
05-07-2013, 04:54 PM
More like..

911 dispatcher : I'll have to put you on hold, I'm dealing with a woman complaining about cold McNuggets

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2013, 10:34 AM
By Jen Heger - Radar Online

During the frantic 911 call that Amanda Berry made in the moments after she escaped the house of horrors in Cleveland, Ohio, the dispatcher has come under fire for the response the kidnapped woman received, and the Cleveland Police Department has officially launched a review of how it was handled, RadarOnline.com is reporting.

The dispatcher is being criticized for telling the kidnap victim that a police car was going to be sent ”as soon as we get a car open,” and for hanging up with Berry before cops arrived.

In a statement to Radar, Director Martin L. Flask of the Cleveland Police Department of Public Safety said, “On behalf of Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson, I want to thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about our public safety call-taking process. The actions of the 9-1-1 call-taker who received an emergency call from Amanda Berry on Monday, May 6 are under review.

“While the call-taker complied with policies and procedures which enabled a very fast response by police, we have noted some concerns which will be the focus of our review, including the call-taker’s failure to remain on the line with Ms. Berry until police arrived on scene. Please be assured that this matter will be investigated, and if necessary, appropriate corrective action taken.”

Berry was kidnapped ten years ago, and allegedly held at the house of Ariel Castro against her will. The first thing the brave woman told the dispatcher was, “I’ve been kidnapped and I’ve been missing for 10 years, and I’m, I’m here, I’m free now.”

After giving the operator the address where Berry was, she was told, “OK, stay there with those neighbors. Talk to police when they get there.”

Below is some transcript of the call:

Berry: (Sobbing)

Dispatcher: OK, talk to police when they get there.

Berry: OK. Hello?

Dispatcher: OK, talk to the police when they get there.

Berry: OK (unintelligible).

Dispatcher: We’re going to send them as soon as we get a car open.

Berry: No, I need them now before he gets back.

Dispatcher: All right; we’re sending them, OK?

“I would like to note that the call-taker did take the call, create an event and send it to the channel dispatcher in less than 90 seconds. Within 1 minute and 18 seconds from the time that the call-taker answered the call our dispatcher was broadcasting the assignment to available police units. As a result of the call-taker’s actions, police were dispatched and on scene in less than 2 minutes.

As events unfolded one of the most dramatic moments is the 911 call that led to the recovery of the women — Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight and a 6-year-old girl Berry gave birth to during her captivity.

As RadarOnline.com previously reported, the name of the homeowner arrested is Ariel Castro, a 52-year-old Cleveland Municipal School District bus driver who’s lived there since since 1992. He was arrested for domestic violence in 1993, according to reports. His brothers, ages 50 and 54, are also in custody as of early Tuesday.

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2013, 11:08 AM
They were hinting on Fox News that there may have been a 4th girl that may have been killed years ago.

Goofy
05-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Been hearing this on the radio today........ nuts :shock: They played the Ramsey interview, class :lol:

lost in melb.
05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I remember her name. Vaguely. Glad she's alive

perrhaps
05-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Why are they picking on the dispatcher? Today's NY Daily News is reporting that between 2004 and 2011, the police were informed at least three times that there were naked white women, sometimes on dog leashes in the house or in the backyard crying for help, but the cops didn't do anything more than knock on the front door and then leave when nobody answered.

My prediction: The City of Cleveland will be paying these three women beaucoup $$$ in the immediate future.

KevinD
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
If the above is true, Cops can't enter and search without a warrant or probable cause. A "report" is not probable cause.

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
The cops would had to have witnessed something, seen or heard, to give them probable cause to enter. When they went to investigate the claims, they didn't see or hear anything.

perrhaps
05-08-2013, 02:24 PM
If I reported that my neighbor slit the throat of his wife in their backyard, and took her inside, are you two saying the police couldn't break down the door and go inside?

There is an "exigent circumstances" exception to the need to obtain a search warrant. Of course this would assume something more than an anonymous tip, i.e., the caller identifying him/herself and verifying the report in person when the police arrived.

KevinD
05-08-2013, 02:30 PM
It's my understanding that if you are on the phone (as you said identified, and creditable) with the police as they respond, then yes. If they interview you in person then possibly, but a random caller? Nope, not probable cause.

Griffin
05-09-2013, 01:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZcRU0Op5P4&feature=player_embedded#!

Noilly Pratt
05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
A follow up interview with Charles Ramsey by Anderson Cooper. I hope everyone viewing this will look beyond his "street" manor, going off on tangents, etc ... this is a man who did right, and is haunted by the fact that he didn't do it sooner, not celebrating that he did do the right thing as soon as he knew. The definition of "salt of the earth".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e5elloa4kOc

Pony
05-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Today's NY Daily News is reporting that between 2004 and 2011, the police were informed at least three times that there were naked white women, sometimes on dog leashes in the house or in the backyard crying for help, but the cops didn't do anything more than knock on the front door and then leave when nobody answered.

Word is this is just something that someone made up. Or the cops are lying about never getting calls.