PDA

View Full Version : "Under my plan, energy prices would necessarily skyrocket"

FBD
04-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks to Obama, Gas Jumps in a Flash (http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/thanks-to-obama-gas-jumps-in-a-flash)

It must have looked so simple from Barack Obama’s rarely visited Senate office, or Steven Chu’s comfortable digs at Berkeley: if only we stopped taking advantage of all those nasty fossil fuels, everything would be better. Three years ago, when then-Senator Obama was dismissing high energy prices as just another good reason for more government handouts, and Chu was insisting that Americans ought to pay European prices for gasoline, all they heard in return was applause from their core constituencies — academics and the media.

Unfortunately for now-President Obama, the reality of $4-$5-a-gallon gasoline is a much tougher sell to the general public. He’s put himself to work spinning the line that “speculators” are at fault for high prices, but the actual explaination is far more prosaic. Limited supply plus growing demand equals higher prices. That’s a formula so simple, even a community organizer should be able to understand it.

Asian demand for energy continues to rise as nations in the far east region — oddly lacking in “stimulus” spending — continue to boom. Supply, meanwhile, has fallen off, not only as a consequence of the turmoil in Libya and other oil-producing countries, but also thanks to the Obama-ordered moritorium on drilling in the Gulf of Mexico — and the recenly ordered moritorium on future drilling anywhere else off the American coasline.

Obama and his minions have been chasing the green jobs chimera for so long that it’s an instinct. They pompously suggest that Americans ought to trade in their current vehicles for pricey, government-approved matchbox cars, asserting still that there’s “no quick fix” for high energy prices. History, and very recent history at that, indicates that they are mistaken.

Take a look at this chart compiled by metalprices.com. It’s the price of a barrel of crude oil over the past 5 years.

See that big peak in the middle? That was the last oil spike, in the summer of 2008. Notice how the price hit a high point, then fell off a cliff afterwards?

The day corresponding to that peak, an all-time high of $145.16/barrel, was July 14, 2008. By some strange coincidence, that was the very same day then-President George W. Bush lifted, by executive order, a federal ban on offshore oil drilling.

Bush’s order was, of course, immediately dismissed by the “experts.” Reuters waved away the action as “a largely symbolic move unlikely to have any short-term impact on high gasoline costs.” Barack Obama’s campaign lectured that if “offshore drilling would provide short-term relief at the pump or a long-term strategy for energy independence, it would be worthy of our consideration, regardless of the risks. But most experts, even within the Bush administration, concede it would do neither.”

The movement left was even more dismissive. ClimateProgress.org blasted The Washington Post for failing to headline their story about the order “Offshore Drilling Raises Oil Prices.” In response to Bush’s assertion that additional offshore extraction could equal current U.S. production in 10 years, they editorialized: “Yes, and monkeys could fly out of my butt” (emphasis in original).

There was just one problem: reality. Even though, as critcs were eager to point out, any additional American drilling was years in the future, oil prices immediately went into free-fall. By Friday, July 18, the price of a barrel of crude had dropped to $128.94, a 12% decrease. A month later, on August 14, the price had fallen to $115.05. In spectacular fashion, Bush’s academic and media critics were proven seriously wrong.

For commodities traders who’d been pricing oil based on a supposition of scarcity, the potential for millions of additional barrels on the market hit like a thunderbolt. The simple act of putting America’s resources on the table popped the oil bubble, and a stunning price drop followed in short order. By election day, November 4, the price of a barrel of crude had plummeted to $70.84 — a 51% decrease in less than five months.

But wait. I can already hear the cries of, “Uh uh! The price dropped because demand fell off! Haven’tcha ever heard of the Great Recession?”

Problem is, all of that happened months prior to the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the beginning of the financial crisis on September 15, 2008 (price of crude: $95.52). Oil prices actually spiked at the outset of the economic mess, peaking at just over $100/barrel on September 30 before falling again. They reached a bottom price of $30.28 on December 23, a jaw-dropping 80% off the July peak, less than a month before Barack Obama took office.

Speaking of which: Obama had been president-elect for all of five days when he announced his intention to rescind Bush’s order. Oil prices started going up again in January of 2009 and steadily increasing ever since. Obama Energy Secretary Ken Salazar announced a highly restrictive offshore leasing policy last December, and the Bush executive order was officially reversed on February 8, 2011.

The price of crude that day was $85.85. By April 19, it had risen to $107.18, with no end in sight.
---------------------------------------------------------------

People arent stupid about how much this country has in reserve. They see that on the table and they know that supply will go up oplenty.

Unfortunately, for those who are hellbent on getting rid of all conventional energy sources, it makes everyone else pay dearly because of the blind ideology.

Full op ed stocked with far too many supporting links to duplicate. :wave:

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2011, 07:39 PM
:D

I like pepperoni on my pizza.

Godfather
04-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Maybe I'll buy a Prius and become one of those douchebags :-k

Peak oil apocalypse looks pretty scary :lol: Not sure the US President is in a position alone to stop it, if it really is on the horizon

FBD
04-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Is that a...
"this went over my head"
or
"i'm too lazy to read it"
or
"I already received my opinion"
or
"I'm just yammering because I have no good rebuttal, but I want to rebut nonetheless..."

?

Or do you not believe that ill conceived and little-thought-through decisions by an amateur pResident (who still has no clue what he's doing in office outside of attempting to reward Unions at any costs) dont really have much in the way of consequence?

But you guys are quick to call Palin a jackass! :roll:

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
We called Bush a jackass too ;)

RBP
04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Maybe I'll buy a Prius and become one of those douchebags :-k

You don't need a Prius.

Muddy
04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Is this where the Brad Pitt pics are?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2011, 07:56 PM
You don't need a Prius.

http://th775.photobucket.com/albums/yy37/siszam/th_kelso_burn.gif

Godfather
04-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Is that a...
"this went over my head"
or
or
or
"I'm just yammering because I have no good rebuttal, but I want to rebut nonetheless..."

?

Or do you not believe that ill conceived and little-thought-through decisions by an amateur pResident (who still has no clue what he's doing in office outside of attempting to reward Unions at any costs) dont really have much in the way of consequence?

Sorry bud... It's just more of a "we're over of these rantings about Obama and reading articles that do it for you" :lol:

People only tease people they like :P

Acid Trip
04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Sorry bud... It's just more of a "we're over of these rantings about Obama and reading articles that do it for you" :lol:

People only tease people they like :P

Just because you are tired of the Obama posts doesn't mean everyone else is...

Godfather
04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Just because you are tired of the Obama posts doesn't mean everyone else is...

Common now :lol: That's fine... didn't think my and DGX's posts deserved a rant ("maybe it just went over your head" I was told :lol: )... but I'm not a confrontational member here and the apology was made. And you can't take yourself too seriously on this forum :P Almost 100% of the replies are tongue-in-cheek, not hard to take the temperature around here

Muddy
04-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Godfathers breath stinks, his feet hurts, and he dont love Jeezus...

Teh One Who Knocks
04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Is that a...
"this went over my head"
or
or
or

?

:rolleyes:

Because she is a jackass

Godfather
04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Godfathers breath stinks, his feet hurts, and he dont love Jeezus...

Exactly :lol:

Hal-9000
04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Because she is a jackass

She's not a jackass...she's just someone who was elected to a position of authority who doesn't understand most of the world around her
and proves it each and every time she opens her mouth.

THAT kind of leadership scares me

Hal-9000
04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
So someone tell me please....I live in an area where we've been ranked 2nd, in supplying oil to the rest of the world.

I'm familiar with production and refining costs, yet we constantly get reminded both at the pumps and in the paper, that the majority
of the cost is tax from the government.

Why is my government allowed to do this? We read about a possible terrorist scare in Arabia and the world oil prices jump 20 dollars a barrel...based on the threat only, not any activity.
Why can't I pay 50 cents less per liter at the pump? We supply to the States along with about 20 other 'first world countries'....I'm sure if those countries went to the middle east for their primary needs, the cost would be a lot higher.

why dammit??

AntZ
04-26-2011, 09:40 PM
She's not a jackass...she's just someone who was elected to a position of authority who doesn't understand most of the world around her

Then I guess Obama scares the hell out of you! He had less experience then she has, and it sure has shown!

Teh One Who Knocks
04-26-2011, 09:40 PM

No need to be afraid of her, she's completely unelectable

Hal-9000
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM
you guys in the States only need one thing...let a damn good accountant run for CEO :lol:

screw his political background or ability to speak in public....get some guy who's ground it out in the trenches namelessly for 30 years ,
elect him to office, let him look at EVERY aspect of the American economy and then follow his advice to the letter

FBD
04-27-2011, 03:16 AM
The main point of the article here, since nobody's discussing it, was the effect that a real increase in US output would have on world oil prices as opposed to the trickle that is currently being allowed by our crackpot administration. Its very obviously yet *another* something Obama doesnt understand in the least. Something he isnt even willing to consider, being the ideologically driven charlatan that he is. But even that point is secondary. Obama has the balls to get up and blame speculators, having no clue how the mechanism works, when direct actions of his administration has caused a very real effect of supply and demand that we're all feeling.

One other lesser point, yet another thing Bush did that was in the right direction that he was lambasted for, and looky that, in hindsight it had excellent ramifications.

As to the jocularity...its cool and all, but c'mon, you see something from me with Obama's name on it and dont even give it two seconds of a look over? Why bother commenting then? :razz:

lost in melb.
04-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Unfortunately for now-President Obama, the reality of $4-$5-a-gallon gasoline is a much tougher sell to the general public.

Our current fuel price is about $1.50 per litre ( around $5.50 per gallon) and is forecast to tip $3.00 per litre ( around $11.00 per gallon) by 2015. A lot will depend on whether the US gets it's economy together. The slower you are, the lower prices will remain...

FBD
04-27-2011, 03:47 AM
meanwhile...

“What appears to be the most important factor at work is our dependence on imported energy,”

While the EPA vigorously makes sure that as little energy production as possible comes out of the USA.

Acid Trip
04-27-2011, 01:21 PM
So someone tell me please....I live in an area where we've been ranked 2nd, in supplying oil to the rest of the world.

I'm familiar with production and refining costs, yet we constantly get reminded both at the pumps and in the paper, that the majority
of the cost is tax from the government.

Why is my government allowed to do this? We read about a possible terrorist scare in Arabia and the world oil prices jump 20 dollars a barrel...based on the threat only, not any activity.
Why can't I pay 50 cents less per liter at the pump? We supply to the States along with about 20 other 'first world countries'....I'm sure if those countries went to the middle east for their primary needs, the cost would be a lot higher.

why dammit??

The United States is burning through the rest of the worlds oil supply before we seriously start tapping our own and you'll hear every reason under the sun as to why. Personally I think it's intentional. Until there is a viable alternative to oil we'll continue buying it from whoever pumps it. Once everyone else runs out we'll begin tapping our own supply.

30 years from now when the world is running out of oil we'll still have massive reserves under our feet.

A sick and twisted plan straight from a conspiracy novel...

The US racks up a massive national debt buying everything under the sun. The world runs low on oil and asks for US debt repayment in oil. The US says fuck off and defaults. Now the US is debt free and controls all the remaining oil. What repercussions can you take against the world's most powerful military that happens to control all the remaining oil?

Our politicians are just crazy enough to do that.

Muddy
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
*puff puff pass*

Teh One Who Knocks
04-27-2011, 01:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hjk4d.jpg

FBD
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
valid point on hogging our reserves, but...

the end of oil is quite a ways off - and we are NOT going to be able to just default on our obligations, we'll be a mostly broke second rate nation if you linearly extrapolate the country's current trajectory (although americans are smarter than to elect Obama again) - and we may have the most powerful military now, but what do you think China's going to have in 30, 40 years? our stuff's going to be crumbling by then if the anti-american "americans" get their way.

Acid Trip
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
*puff puff pass*

If you didn't throw in I ain't passing shit :hand:

FBD
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
:lol: you've been preyed on by too many clingers, havent you

Acid Trip
04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
:lol: you've been preyed on by too many clingers, havent you

People assume that because I always have weed that I'm willing to share. :rofl:

FBD