PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Announces Free BBM for iOS and Android

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
By Sascha Segan - PC Magazine

BlackBerry announced today that it will open up its BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) instant-messaging program to iOS and Android users for free, with new clients coming for those platforms later this summer.

"We will make BBM available as the premiere multiplatform messaging solution all around the globe, and even better, it's free," BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said at the BlackBerry Live conference in Orlando, FL. "This is such a great experience, it's just too good to keep it only to ourselves."

Because it's a BlackBerry exclusive, BBM has only 60 million active users. It's dwarfed by Android/iOS competitors like WhatsApp and Viber, which measure their user bases in the hundreds of millions. But BBM users are highly engaged, sending and receiving more than 10 billion messages per day, Heins said.

BBM for iOS and Android will start with messaging and groups features, but will roll out "feature parity" including voice calling, screen sharing, and video calling later this year, Heins said. It will be available for devices running iOS 6 and Android 4.0 or higher.

BBM Gets 'Channels'
The cross-platform BBM will also include "channels," a new BBM-based social network that will let businesses and celebrities create affinity groups, Heins said. Some of the initial channels include a Formula 1 car team, BlackBerry itself, and the musical artists Alicia Keys, Goo Goo Dolls, and Tegan and Sara. (Some of the channels are shown in the image above.)

Heins did a demo of Channels, which seem to function a little like Facebook fan pages. If you subscribe to a channel, you can see all of that person's updates, talk back to them and see what other followers are saying. You can also create your own channels, where you control the content and which can have an unlimited number of followers.

"Imagine the dialogue that can now exist between the BBM users and the businesses, celebrities and groups that they're passionate about," Heins said.

BBM Channels is in beta right now, with a commercial launch coming later this summer, Heins said.

Also at BlackBerry Live, the company announced a new lower-cost QWERTY phone, the Q5, and new business server software. See the slideshow above for more.

Muddy
05-14-2013, 08:38 PM
:hand:

redred
05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
i get unlimited texts ,can't see this being any use to me

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I've never understood the need for IM apps on your phone when you can just text. I have unlimited texting as well.

redred
05-15-2013, 01:05 PM
texts and data are more important to me than minutes, i tend not to keep the same number when my contract ends either , gives me a chance to spring clean who has my number i just get a new number make a text and mass send it

Noilly Pratt
05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I read BBM and immediately thought Big Black Mommas. :oops:

Am I racist? Am I one step away from donning a sheet? :klan: :D

PorkChopSandwiches
05-16-2013, 05:54 PM
These guys are so far behind the curve they will try anything to stay afloat

Noilly Pratt
05-16-2013, 06:08 PM
They're kind of gaining a little in the Canadian marketplace...lots of Government buy-in from the guys who had their CrackBerrys...and sweet deals from RIM.

But I agree...they are floundering. They need a few more home runs to stay in the game, to use a baseball metaphor.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-16-2013, 06:18 PM
One way to not fail, is to not spend time developing a product that nobody is asking for. What ios or android user asked for worthless BBM