PDA

View Full Version : Crime in your neighborhood

DemonGeminiX
05-14-2013, 10:25 PM
If you and your neighbors knew that criminals moved into your neighborhood, if you knew for sure that they were committing crimes (dealing drugs, blah blah blah), making your neighborhood unsafe, but you couldn't prove it to the police's satisfaction, and the police were unable or unwilling to do anything about it, no matter how many times you reported them...

What would you do? Would you move, or would you take another kind of action? If so, how far would you be willing to go to preserve the peace and safety of your neighborhood? How far would you go to get rid of the criminal element that didn't belong?

:-k

Hal-9000
05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
I've done a couple of neighborhood watch deeds...the stories are unimportant

But you have to be careful because if the criminals get wind that you're the one causing shit for them, they'll come to your place

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2013, 10:34 PM
But you have to be careful because if the criminals get wind that you're the one causing shit for them, they'll come to your place

This ^^

All you can do is keep calling the police

Hugh_Janus
05-14-2013, 10:36 PM
my neighbourhood is already unsafe :lol:

Hal-9000
05-14-2013, 10:39 PM
As for the drug dealing comment, I've have a few friends/families that do it and they're pretty passive and responsible people. I know that's not always the case...

for example I live by a school and a park and we get more litter, disrespect and noise problems from the school children than any drug dealers nearby :lol:

Hal-9000
05-14-2013, 10:53 PM
why do I keep picturing DGX on his porch pulling a Gran Torino and shooting the finger gun at passers by? :lol:

Muddy
05-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Stay the hell away from it and call the cops if you see something going down.

KevinD
05-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Move? Hell no. After the cops won't can't do anything, I'd talk to some friends a bit higher up. If that didn't work, I'd go talk to the folks themselves. (yeah, yeah, I know, but I would, and have) If none of that worked? I dunno. At that point it would depend on what exactly was going on.

Noilly Pratt
05-15-2013, 05:20 AM
A friend moved to the interior of our province because he felt the neighbourhood was declining rapidly...wanted a simpler life, etc.

His new home in a "quiet" lakefront town had street racing outside because his road was the only long straightaway for miles. It was also just a few blocks away from a double murder.

And the yahoos from here drive up there on long weekends to par-tay at their beach.

You can't escape criminals. Where there are people, there is criminal activity. Like Hal said before - Neighbourhood Watch -- get to know your neighbours -- there's relative safety in numbers.

I live in a townhouse complex and I've let it be known in this bedroom community, I'm usually around and at 6'1" i'm kind of imposing. We have burglaries now and then, but it's usually stuff that's easy pickings - someone left their screen door open and left their laptop at the table right at the window. My wife left her bike unlocked at our front step overnight for example.

Be vigilant, but don't be a hero and don't be dumb! :)

DemonGeminiX
05-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Assume that you and your neighbors were fed up and they came to you with this crazy idea that, collectively, y'all could force the bad apple out of your neighborhood. Suppose that there's at least 7 or 8 of your neighbors on board and they're asking you to join with them. What would you do then?

Charles Bronson is watching.

:nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Vigilante justice will get you into more trouble than it's worth if you get caught ;)

http://i.imgur.com/e4ovJMp.jpg

Hal-9000
05-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Assume that you and your neighbors were fed up and they came to you with this crazy idea that, collectively, y'all could force the bad apple out of your neighborhood. Suppose that there's at least 7 or 8 of your neighbors on board and they're asking you to join with them. What would you do then?

Like a polite intervention with baseball bats?

:lol:

Let's do a little exercise. It does relate, just follow it through. I'm going to give you (or anyone else) a scenario. At the end of it I'm going to ask one question and you must answer it as quickly and honestly as possible. Ok then..

Hal-9000
05-15-2013, 03:28 PM
In your neighborhood let's say that there is a little corner store, run by a nice old couple. You've been in the store before.

One night you go in and see a threatening man kicking the old lady. She's on the floor crying, she's bloody and injured and in obvious fear for her life.

You've just entered the store and the criminal looks at you as you walk in......you have 3 choices:

1. approach him quickly and confront him
2. do nothing and continue to stand there
3. run out of the store and call the police, knowing that in the interim the lady may be injured further or worse

Muddy
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM

I thought you had a college degree that signified you were able to think on an advanced level?

DemonGeminiX
05-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Vigilante justice will get you into more trouble than it's worth if you get caught ;)

http://i.imgur.com/e4ovJMp.jpg

[-(

Says the guy who could arm a small army and take over Bolivia.

KevinD
05-15-2013, 03:50 PM

Nope I wouldn't. Loose lips and all that.

KevinD
05-15-2013, 03:50 PM
In your neighborhood let's say that there is a little corner store, run by a nice old couple. You've been in the store before.

One night you go in and see a threatening man kicking the old lady. She's on the floor crying, she's bloody and injured and in obvious fear for her life.

You've just entered the store and the criminal looks at you as you walk in......you have 3 choices:

3. run out of the store and call the police, knowing that in the interim the lady may be injured further or worse

Item number 1. Always.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2013, 03:54 PM
[-(

Says the guy who could arm a small army and take over Bolivia.

I have no use for Bolivia :nono:

deebakes
05-16-2013, 12:42 AM
we had a similar situation in our old 'hood. we consistently called the police, but it didn't make much of a difference as it was a multi-generational household of hmong people. the "great-grandparents" were the owners and they were actually very sweet... it was their grandkids that were the problem so it never really materialized into anything the cops could do but continue to bring them in when they were breaking the law :shrug:

KevinD
05-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Dee must have just watched Gran Torino, :lol:

deebakes
05-16-2013, 02:00 AM
true story actually :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2013, 02:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/y35Uj9k.jpg

Noilly Pratt
05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Item number 1. Always.

Same. I can say this because it happened.

I was at Wendy's (fast food joint for the Non N.A. people) and a guy was being beligerent to the counter clerk, complaining about the food and the drive through service. He was getting louder and louder.

I didn't intervene until he started in on a guy with 2 kids beside him telling him to quieten down - but I did intervene then.

Why? When the situation escalates, you gotta stand up and be counted. Be safe, be smart about it, but at least let the dude know he's being noticed.

Muddy
05-16-2013, 03:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/y35Uj9k.jpg

Only in the movies I'm afraid. Same for Karate'.. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2013, 03:43 PM

Practice your knockout punch every night then do a #1.

jvanorder
05-16-2013, 04:44 PM

I go apeshit on the dude. plain and simple. Thats why crime is so high. everyone has the thinking of "its not my problem and it doesnt directly effect me so why should i care" Bull we need to look after each other. I live in a nice upscale trailer park and i have made it known to my neighbors that if they see something going on to let me know. I start with a nice face to face then get the police involved and if that dont work i know some italians that can make problems go away quickly. So in other words dont mess with me or my family or the community cause i will make it hell for you.