PDA

View Full Version : Pabst Blue Ribbon to blame for cheap beer price hikes: researchers

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2013, 11:07 AM
By Corky Siemaszko / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/8esmvCcl.jpg

A cheap glass of beer is fast becoming an endangered species in New York City - and you can blame Pabst Blue Ribbon-swilling hipsters for that.

They are the reason why "sub-premium" beer prices in the city have climbed 9.4% in the last seven months, say Restaurant Sciences, which tracks food and beverage sales nationwide.

"I believe the single biggest driver in sub-premium beer price increases is indeed specifically PBR," said Chuck Ellis, who heads the research company. "It has become quite fashionable."

Ellis reached that conclusion after his researchers tracked beer prices at 500 bars and restaurants across the city.

They found that while the prices of expensive premium beers that the snobs favor also jumped, they did so at half the rate of beers like PBR.

"Traditionally lower-priced beers such as Pabst Blue Ribbon have seen sizeable double-digit price increases in both restaurants and bars & nightclubs," researchers reported.

Pabst, which had its heyday back in the 60s when it was marketed as "The Premium Beer at Popular Price," is "still an outstanding value for beer drinkers," Ellis said.

Translation: it's cheap.

Sam Rio, bartender at Pete's Candy Store in Williamsburg, said that's the only reason to drink PBR.

"Personally, I think it tastes like s---," said Rio, who sells it for $3 a can. "It's been that price for as long as I've been here, which is about seven years."

PBR sells for $2 a can at the popular Welcome to the Johnson's bar on the Lower East Side.

"I like it because it's not for rich people," said one worker who then slammed down the phone.

That, in essence, may be the appeal of a beer that was once dismissed as low-rent when Americans began shelling out more dough for exotic foreign brews and craft beers.

It's also no accident that PBR is hip.

Before the recession began and the economy tanked, Pabst launched a word-of-mouth campaign that made the declining brand an "ironic" choice for younger drinkers, Crain's Chicago Business reported way back in 2009.

PBR was suddenly cool again - and sales were hot.

deebakes
05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
see? hipsters do hurt people :hand:

KevinD
05-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Not on my worst broke ass day have I EVER drank PBR

RBP
05-18-2013, 01:23 AM
They had $1 PBR at the golf course last weekend. :dance:

KevinD
05-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Of US domestic, the worst I have ever drank is maybe Keystone, or Schlitz.

Griffin
05-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Of US domestic, the worst I have ever drank is maybe Keystone, or Schlitz.

If we're talking worst, my vote goes to Schlitz.

Loser
05-18-2013, 03:52 AM
I'm sorry, but 2$ for a CAN of beer? :shock:

That's 48$ for a fkin 24 case....

RBP
05-18-2013, 04:42 AM
I'm sorry, but 2$ for a CAN of beer? :shock:

That's 48$ for a fkin 24 case....

I know it may sound crazy, but some people leave the house when they drink. I know, right??

Loser
05-18-2013, 05:01 AM
:lol: :slap: Ass

My local hole has mgd 'bottles' at a two fifty. Tap is usually fifty to seventy five cents :lol:

KevinD
05-18-2013, 05:26 AM
I haven't seen 50cent tap beer since I was in Jersey in the 80's There was a titty bar just off Fort Dix (Wrightstown?) that had 25 cent drafts on wed nights. Never been so fucked up on $5 in my life.

Loser
05-18-2013, 05:27 AM
I live in the middle of nowhere, so they do anything to drive in customers :lol:

RBP
05-18-2013, 05:52 AM
:lol: :slap: Ass

My local hole has mgd 'bottles' at a two fifty. Tap is usually fifty to seventy five cents :lol:

I haven't seen 50cent tap beer since I was in Jersey in the 80's There was a titty bar just off Fort Dix (Wrightstown?) that had 25 cent drafts on wed nights. Never been so fucked up on $5 in my life.

I live in the middle of nowhere, so they do anything to drive in customers :lol:

I joined the local Moose Lodge and the tap beer in the private bar are $1.50. I thought that was cheap as fuck.

Softdreamer
05-18-2013, 06:43 AM
My old local used to sell bottles of Dorada Especial (best beer around) for €1.50

That was the advertised price, locals got it cheaper.

That's about a dollar for a 330ml 5.7% bottle of liquid gold :)

DemonGeminiX
05-18-2013, 09:02 AM
I joined the local Moose Lodge...

:-k

Did you get one of those Moose hats?

deebakes
05-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Moose knuckles too? :-k