View Full Version : Woman With Perfect Powerball Jackpot Match Bought Her Ticket Too Late In The Day

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2013, 11:22 AM
By Jonathan Wolfe - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/olLpy0h.jpg

No one likes missing out on easy money.

I once went to buy some new basketball shoes only to be told the sale on them had ended the day before. Bummer. Another time, I went to pay a parking ticket online. I’d missed the cutoff time to pay the ticket by 20 minutes, and now the fine had doubled. Poor me, right? Perspective is everything.

Check this out for some bad luck.

California resident Margit Arrobio bought five tickets for the $360 million Powerball lottery last week. She turned on ABC’s Good Morning America on Wednesday morning, watching anxiously to see if she was about to get the surprise of a lifetime.

The first winning number popped up. She had a match. The second number appeared. She had a match for that one, too. Her luck continued for the next four selections. She had all the winning numbers, and was probably jumping through the roof with excitement over now having more money than most of us could ever dream of.

But there was a problem. After the numbers were announced, ABC said no one won the jackpot. Confused (and presumably terrified), Arrobio called the local gas station she bought the tickets from.

“I called my gas station where I bought the ticket and I said, 'I don't get it. I have every number and yet they say there's no winner,’” she said.

If seeing her matching numbers on TV was the best surprise of her life, the clerk was about to give Arrobio the worst surprise of her life.

The clerk told Arrobio that since she had bought the tickets past the 8 p.m. deadline the previous day, she was not eligible to win the jackpot. Arrobio said she was at first shocked and then disappointed. Talk about the understatement of the century. Can you imagine how she felt? Defying one in a bazillion odds and winning $360 million dollars, only to have it stripped away a minute later.

Do yourself a favor the next time you’re upset because you missed out on a sale or discount and remember this story.

Hal-9000
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
we had a lottery here where you confirmed the Plus number for a separate chance at 100, 000

a mentally handicapped check out guy at our local Co-op would always advise - Confirm the plus on your lotto tickets! :)

I guess he didn't confirm his plus number one week and all of his numbers matched. He carried that ticket and showed it off to anyone willing to listen for over a year :(

100 grand, he would have been the sole winner

PorkChopSandwiches
05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Hahahaha, women

Pony
05-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't get it. how did they sell her a ticket after the 8PM deadline?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't get it. how did they sell her a ticket after the 8PM deadline?

It probably ends up being good for the following draw

PorkChopSandwiches
05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
They sold her one for the next drawing, standard practice

Pony
05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
That's what I thought, it'll have the next draw date on it. This article is misleading.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
That's what I thought, it'll have the next draw date on it. This article is misleading.

Yes and no....it all comes down to the stupid woman didn't look at the date printed on her ticket and didn't think to check the cut-off time for purchasing tix for that night's draw. She was under the incorrect assumption that her ticket was valid for that night.