PDA

View Full Version : Murder plot recorded on phone after Florida man butt-dials 911

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2013, 10:49 AM
By CARLI TEPROFF — Miami Herald

Tip: If you’re plotting to kill somebody, try not to “pocket dial” 911 and have your plans recorded.

That’s exactly what Scott Simon did after getting into a fight with another man at a Waffle House in the early hours of May 5, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday.

On a recorded line, Simon can be heard telling someone else that he’s going to follow the victim home and kill him. Minutes later, 33-year-old Nicholas Walker was shot and killed while driving his car onto Interstate 95 in Oakland Park.

“This is a first for me,” said BSO spokeswoman Dani Moschella. “Criminals say crazy things all the time, but I’ve never seen anyone call a recorded line.”

Homicide detectives arrested Simon, 24, of Pompano Beach Tuesday night. He is charged with first-degree murder. Moschella said while detectives do not believe Simon was the triggerman, he did coordinate the shooting.

When deputies arrived at the shooting scene shortly after 6:40 a.m. May 5, they found Walker’s silver Buick crashed into a guard rail. Deputies and Oakland Park Fire-Rescue put out a fire in the engine compartment, but Walker had already died of gunshot wounds.

The investigation prompted a three-hour closure of all southbound lanes of I-95.

Detectives are now seeking two other suspects: the person who pulled the trigger, and another man, who was seen in the 2012 black Buick GS with him the morning of the shooting.

BSO has released two surveillance tapes, one showing the men arguing outside the Waffle House with several witnesses watching, and another of the black Buick and a silver car leaving the restaurant.

Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Bryan Tutler at 954-321-4281. Anonymous tips can be reported to Crime Stoppers of Broward County at 954-493-8477 or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org. Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 for information that leads to an arrest.

The errant 911 call, BSO said, will not be released.

Scott remains in Broward’s main jail with no bond.

As for the call, Moschella said Simon’s apparent butt-dial helped police.

“He had no idea he called 911,” Moschella said. “He basically told on himself.”

deebakes
05-24-2013, 12:43 PM
only in florida :haha: