PDA

View Full Version : ‘I’ll see you in 22 years,’ said rapist whose 22 years are now up

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
By Glenda Luymes, The Province

http://i.imgur.com/SjGJlM4.jpg

As Abbotsford rapist Raymond Caissie was led away to serve his jail sentence, he muttered “I’ll see you in 22 years.”

That was 1993. Today the 42-year-old sex offender is a free man once more.

Surrey RCMP has issued a public warning about the high-risk ex-con, whose recent move to Surrey has enraged Mayor Dianne Watts.

“He’s been let loose in our community to victimize one of our residents,” she told The Province. “It seems to me they know he’s going to reoffend. Why on earth would you let him free?”

On July 21, 1991, Caissie entered Abbotsford’s Trethewey House museum where a 21-year-old summer student was working. At knifepoint, he forced the woman to take off her clothes. Then he sexually assaulted her.

Afterwards, Caissie took the woman to her bank and made her withdraw her daily limit with her bank card. He took her to a field near the Canada-U.S. border, where he raped her again and left her gagged and tied to a tree.

“I have no doubt she was led to believe she was going to die,” Justice Stuart Leggatt said at the time of Caissie’s sentencing.

The woman’s screams eventually brought two farm boys to her rescue.

Caissie was arrested two days later after he robbed a woman walking in an Abbotsford park. The woman had her two-year-old son with her in a stroller. He pushed a sharp object to her back and demanded her purse.

Then he tipped the stroller, grabbed the purse and ran.

Province stories from the time of Caissie’s sentencing paint a picture of a disturbed young man.

The court was told he was expelled from kindergarten. At the age of seven, he had 20 sessions with a psychiatrist for fighting with other students. In Grade 5, he was expelled for assaulting a teacher.

“I’m comfortable in jail,” he told a psychiatrist. “I’m used to it. I know where I stand in here.”

Leggatt sentenced Caissie to two 12-year terms for two counts of sexual assault, to be served concurrently. He also received 10 years in jail for two counts of robbery and one count of forcible confinement.

As he was being led away, Caissie muttered: “I’ll see you in 22 years.”

According to the Parole Board of Canada, Caissie was released from prison at the end of March after completing his full sentence. He did not receive statutory release.

Watts said she’s fed up with the steady stream of police warnings about various unrehabilitated offenders.

“This is just the most recent one,” she said. “If you have to issue a warning that this person is likely going to reoffend, isn’t it common sense that they should not be out? The law has to change.”

The mayor said the federal Correctional Service of Canada should not be allowed to “wash its hands” of the situation when high-risk offenders reach the end of their sentences.

Caissie is on bail supervision and is being monitored by both police and the probation office, but Watts asked how long that supervision could continue.

“How long will they be able to watch him? It’s an issue of scarce resources,” she said.

As part of his release, Caissie is not allowed to go near his victims or their families, and he may not carry weapons or restraint devices.

deebakes
07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
lucky farm boys :sad2: