PDA

View Full Version : I made a Windows 7 system image backup

Hal-9000
04-28-2011, 06:19 AM
I was fascinated when I read that Windows 7 could make a disk image.I have Home Premium and the process was quick and easy.
Right after a fresh install of the OS, hardware drivers, and some basic programs I made a backup image.I recall it saying that I had 79 gigs of info on my hard drive.

The process took less than 20 minutes and my finished file was about 52 gigs.It either did some compression or left out parts of my original installation.

I threw the image on an external hard drive and there it sits...waiting for disaster :lol: I haven't tried restoring the image.There are two scenarios to install the backup.One is still having a working version of Windows on the drive
and using the control panel options to restore the image, or you can hit F8 on boot up and restore from there.The latter seems the more likely scenario if something really bad happens to your pc software environment.You also
have the option of making a recovery cd/dvd, I didn't try that.

I don't mind installing Windows and the subsequent programs and files I have... although it does get tedious waiting for the Windows updates as well as adjusting your browser and email settings.
I'm hoping this utility does what it says and will reinstall everything I had along with my settings...certainly would save a lot of time :thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted when part 2 occurs....

Godfather
04-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Great post Hal!

Man... stupid question but how do you do this?!? Is this backing up the actual copy of windows and the computer's drivers or just settings and files?!?!

I reaaaaally need to back my computer up. I know the dell drivers are online and but I just realized this new laptop only came with one disk and I forget what was even on it :shock: The old Dells used to come with one for drivers, one for your copy of windows, one for other programs.... So now I realize I'm probably not properly protected and neeeed to fix this :lol:

Procrastination fail on my part... Also I'd kind of like to reformat just to make things fast and new again!

Hal-9000
04-28-2011, 06:51 AM
It's easy GF, just go into control panel/backup and restore :)
I would have an external hard drive ready, you don't want to be trying to burn 18 DVD's...

I read that it backs up everything.If it can restore Windows, all updates to that point, my programs, games and files...along with the various OS settings I've tweaked, I'll be a very happy camper.

Godfather
04-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Wow, very nice. Thanks Hal. I'm going to have to do that in the morning

Hal-9000
04-28-2011, 07:03 AM
it's the restoring bit that has me perplexed...

An article said to hit F8 on boot up and there would be a restore option there.
Each computer is different, how can every pc have this particular Windows 7 restore setting after pressing F8?

Hal-9000
04-28-2011, 07:03 AM
I may pooch mine intentionally so I can try it from the control panel on a current installation :lol: