PDA

View Full Version : Florida Teacher Fired For Finding, Extinguishing School Fire

Teh One Who Knocks
07-23-2013, 10:44 AM
By Jonathan Wolfe - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/mEUMDum.jpg

A daycare teacher in Florida was fired last week because she, of all things, put a fire out at her school.

Michelle Hammack worked at Little Temples Childcare facility in Arlington, Florida. While her students were napping last week, she smelled something burning in the school. Naturally, she went to check on the problem.

"I just leaned over and peeked around and there was a fire in the oven,” Hammack said. “I ran in there and opened it to try to put it out, and the fire alarm started going off."

Hammack rushed back to her classroom, woke up her sleeping students, and took them outside. All other teachers in the school followed suit. After Hammack did a head count of her students, she went back into the school to make sure the fire hadn’t spread.

“When I got to the third classroom by the kitchen, I could see that it was just a contained fire in the oven,” she told the local CBS News affiliate in Jacksonville.

Hammack then grabbed a fire extinguisher, opened the oven, and put the fire out. The fire department then came to the school, inspected the then-extinguished fire, and told staff and students that they could re-enter the school.

But instead of being applauded for her handling of the fire, Hammack was fired.

"I fired her only because she left her room," owner Olga Rozhaov said. “Even though children are sleeping, the teachers are supposed to be there."

Like any one of us in her situation would be, Hammack is mad about being fired.

“It probably would have progressed had it not been put out before that. I didn’t start the fire. I put it out.”

But Rozhaov is standing behind her decision to fire Hammack.

“It's not acceptable, and if anybody else does the same thing, I will fire again. I will fire them. No question,” she said.

Fortunately for Hammack, The Department of Children and Families is investigating the situation. Unless something we’re not being told about happened, you’ve got to think, or at least hope, Hammack will be getting her job back.

Richard Cranium
07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
If I could, I would write a letter on official letterhead explaining to this fucktarded shitstain what a ignorant pile of shit he actually is..

Nice work Michelle, sometimes "by the book" isn't the way to go, this is one of them.

The three priorities of a fire, in order.. Life safety, Containment, Extinguishment, sometimes by putting the fire out first you cover the first two by default. I prefer this method when applicable.

redred
07-23-2013, 12:23 PM
:facepalm: stupid 'elf & safty

Southern Belle
07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Idiots run our schools.

deebakes
07-23-2013, 03:45 PM
idiots graduate from our schools too :shrug: