PDA

View Full Version : Notes to Self

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2013, 05:44 AM
Demon:

There are several free online courses that you wish to look into @ cousera.org. When you're done at the gym, go check the courses out and see what they require. One or two of them begins in August so don't dilly dally. Check into them now. You've already missed a couple of really cool ones and they're not scheduled to repeat any time soon.

Sincerely,

Yourself from Thursday, July 25th.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
*deletes thread* :shifty:

RBP
07-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Cousera is interesting, I had never seen it before. It will be fascinating to see how they monetize it.

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2013, 02:00 PM
*deletes thread* :shifty:

[-(

Cousera is interesting, I had never seen it before. It will be fascinating to see how they monetize it.

It's free. It's an organized volunteer thing. I'm assuming that either some of the classes that they're offering are absolutely nothing to the instructors that are teaching them out of the kindness of their own heart or the universities seriously want to branch out and test out how offering classes entirely online will work out for them. Kinda like an 'increase their traffic and visibility online thing'.

I keep telling myself that I'm gonna take one or two of the classes they offer, but I always forget to sign up before they start. I figured I usually remember things better if I write stuff down or type it, so why not have a virtual yellow sticky note on the forum for me to trip over?

It'd be kinda cool to be able to say that I've taken classes from universities from all over the world.

Hal-9000
07-25-2013, 03:07 PM
note to self -

never take 2 days off in the middle of the week again, dual Mondays suck the big one

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2013, 05:11 PM
You could have signed up in the time it took to dick around in this thread

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2013, 05:38 PM
:slap:

Take off, Mush.

Goofy
07-25-2013, 05:54 PM
You could have signed up in the time it took to dick around in this thread

:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2013, 05:55 PM
:dance:

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2013, 06:16 PM
:nutkick:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EcMD6Ht.gif

Noilly Pratt
07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Note to self

Get off your lazy arse tomorrow and continue going to the gym - Make it Monday, Wednesday AND Friday!

Motivation? Possible yoga pants sightings... :D

KevinD
07-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Note to self: Ignore all previous notes.
Note to self 2: Eat a lot, drink a lot, fuck a lot, smoke and be happy.

Hal-9000
07-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Note to self:

Follow Kevin's advice, but not with his wife.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Note to self: delete this thread :shifty:

KevinD
07-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Actually, I checked out the courses offered. I spied at least one in 5 mins that I'd like to take. Too bad it already started, but I book marked the site and will keep checking.

RBP
07-25-2013, 11:54 PM
It's free. It's an organized volunteer thing. I'm assuming that either some of the classes that they're offering are absolutely nothing to the instructors that are teaching them out of the kindness of their own heart or the universities seriously want to branch out and test out how offering classes entirely online will work out for them. Kinda like an 'increase their traffic and visibility online thing'.

I keep telling myself that I'm gonna take one or two of the classes they offer, but I always forget to sign up before they start. I figured I usually remember things better if I write stuff down or type it, so why not have a virtual yellow sticky note on the forum for me to trip over?

It'd be kinda cool to be able to say that I've taken classes from universities from all over the world.

Um, no, it's not. It's a highly capitalized venture with future profits in mind, greater growth than twitter. Look at the press information on their website.

This was recently published: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/coursera-an-online-education-company-raises-another-43-million/

DemonGeminiX
07-26-2013, 12:00 AM
First line:

Coursera, a year-old company offering free online courses...

DemonGeminiX
07-26-2013, 12:01 AM
8th paragraph:

Now, the company works with 83 educational institutions on four continents, offering about 400 free college-level courses to more than four million students from every country in the world.

RBP
07-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Dude, so what. Geesh. It's a business model. They offer free shit with venture capital and monetize later. That's how every internet company starts. That does not equal "It's an organized volunteer thing."

DemonGeminiX
07-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Dude, so what. Geesh. It's a business model. They offer free shit with venture capital and monetize later. That's how every internet company starts. That does not equal "It's an organized volunteer thing."

At this moment in time, it's not costing you or me a dime, and that is the point. Unless you want to sign up for one of those signature tracks, which really isn't worth it, then you're not paying anything. You could easily prove to an employer that you took the class successful by displaying the knowledge you gained and internalized.

If and when they start charging a fee to take these classes, their number of students will probably drop. But at this point in time, it's of no concern to me.

I sincerely doubt that any of those college professors are getting paid anything to throw up a 60 minute video once a week on something they probably know like the back of their hand and throw some exercises and quizzes their online students' ways. I say that because in the article it says

Faculty members at several institutions have expressed concern about how the courses may change higher education...

which I take to mean that those instructors probably aren't getting paid for their efforts in this format and they have bills to pay.

Sure the powers that be might be looking to the future, it's insane to think that they're not, but right now what I originally said holds true. It is free.

RBP
07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
No, the point I was making was not whether there is any current cost the student, but rather disagreeing with your assertion that it was a charitable organization. It is not.

DemonGeminiX
07-26-2013, 12:43 AM
It's free to me and that's all I care about.

Watch I get bit in the ass and try to sign up for several classes at the same time and they come back and say I have to pay an exorbitant fee for every class after the first free one.

RBP
07-26-2013, 04:07 AM
It's free to me and that's all I care about.

Watch I get bit in the ass and try to sign up for several classes at the same time and they come back and say I have to pay an exorbitant fee for every class after the first free one.

Nah, I don't think their model is based on student fees. The educational organizations will pay and get their money on the back end by charging students who wants to apply it to degree programs. Which is fair and still cheaper.