PDA

View Full Version : Bank Wrongfully Repossesses Ohio Woman Katie Barnett's Home, Refuses To Pay Her Back

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2013, 05:32 PM
By Jonathan Wolfe - Opposing Views

Ohio resident Katie Barnett is understandably furious after she came home from a two-week trip only to find her house had been accidentally repossessed.

Barnett became suspicious of something when her key would no longer open her door. She was forced to crawl through a window into her house. Once inside, she saw that everything was gone.

Barnett soon found out that First National Bank in Wellston, Ohio had accidentally repossessed her home.

“They repossessed my house on accident, thinking it was the house across the street,” Barnett said. “They told me that the GPS led them to my house. My grass hadn’t been mowed and they just assumed.”

As if having all of your belongings taken from you isn’t bad enough, Barnett says the bank is now refusing to pay her back enough money to replace her items, most of which have been thrown away or sold by the bank.

Barnett estimated that she would need $18,000 to replace her belongings, but the bank won’t pay up.

“[The bank president] got very firm with me and said, ‘We’re not paying you retail here, that’s just the way it is,’” Barnett said. “I did not tell them to come in my house and make me an offer. They took my stuff and I want it back.

“Now, I’m just angry,” Barnett said. “It wouldn’t be a big deal if they would step up and say ‘I’m sorry, we will replace your stuff.’ Instead, I’m getting attitude from them. They’re sarcastic when they talk to me. They make it sound like I’m trying to rip the bank off. All I want is my stuff back.”

Ohio news station 10-TV tried to reach someone from First National Bank for comment, but no one could be reached.

The story is developing, but if the bank doesn’t pay up, they may find a lawsuit coming their way asking for a lot more than $18,000.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2013, 05:45 PM
:wtf:

#LawyerUp

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
:wtf:

#LawyerUp

No kidding...plus if they still keep that kinda stance and don't pay up the $18K being asked for (which is more than reasonable, it actually seems low to me to refurnish an entire home including clothing and whatnot), I would file a criminal complaint for trespassing, breaking and entering, and grand theft as well as suing them monetarily.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I would be suing the shit out of them. What a fucked up attitude to have when you rob someone