PDA

View Full Version : Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2013, 01:16 PM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/w7W9kqc.jpg

Don’t expect to have it your way today at some fast-food restaurants across the country.

Workers at the nation’s best known fast-food restaurants in seven cities across America are planning to walk off the job Monday to protest what they say are wages that are too low to live on. In a move orchestrated with the help of powerful labor unions and clergy groups, the workers plan to strike for a day to demand their wages be doubled.

The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.

The workers are calling for wages of $15 per hour, more than double New York's current minimum wage of $7.25.

A network of local community groups, clergy and unions, including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), are backing the strike.

“SEIU members, like all service-sector workers, are worse off when large fast-food and retail companies are able to hold down wages and push benefit standards for working people,” Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, told the Washington Post.

In New York City, the protests were organized by a group called Fast Food Forward, which states its Twitter account: "No one can survive on $7.25."

"A lot of the workers are living in poverty, you know, not being able to afford to put food on the table or take the train to work," Fast Food Forward director Jonathan Westin told CBS New York. "The workers are striking over the fact that they can’t continue to maintain their families on the wages they’re being paid in the fast-food industry."

The group posted a photograph on its Twitter account early Monday depicting workers who have “walked out” in New York.

Fast-food workers in New York City earn an average salary of $11,000 annually. That’s less than half of the average daily salary — $25,000 — for most fast-food restaurant CEOs. Employees in the $200 billion industry make 25 percent of the money they need to survive in New York City while working at fast-food restaurants, according to the group’s website.

As of early Monday, more than 120,000 people have signed Fast Food Forward's online petition calling for higher wages in the industry.

Robert Wilson, Jr., a 25-year-old McDonald’s employee in Chicago, told The Washington Post that he makes $8.60 an hour after seven years on the job. A previous walkout in April led to “small victories,” he said, including additional hours and slight raises.

“I’m not really concerned about losing my job,” Wilson told The Washington Post. “If I don’t get anything, I am in a lose-lose situation. I can still get fired at any time.”

Industry representatives, meanwhile, say that most fast-food restaurants operate on a meager profit margin, making it impossible to increase employee wages. But a report issued last week by the National Employment Law Project seemingly refutes part of that assertion, as fewer than one in 50 jobs in fast-food restaurants are managerial. And becoming a franchise owner requires the better part of $1 million in some cases, making that option out of reach for the overwhelming majority of workers.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2013, 01:17 PM
The workers are calling for wages of $15 per hour, more than double New York's current minimum wage of $7.25.

For an unskilled job at a fast food joint? :-s

GTFO :hand:

You want to make $15/hour, then get a different job. If you are too stupid or ignorant to get a different job, then get 2 unskilled jobs.

Muddy
07-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Minimum wage is too low.. :2cents:

deebakes
07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
how much you want to pay for shitty mcdonalds muddy? :-k

Hal-9000
07-29-2013, 05:57 PM
oh great....now they're going to have scab workers

Bring back the pros! :x

Loser
07-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Even if, and this is a big IF, they raise minimum wage, all it will do is cause inflation, and then you're back to making shit wages.

Fast food workers are too stupid to realise this. I.E. Why they work fast food. :lol:

Muddy
07-29-2013, 07:24 PM
how much you want to pay for shitty mcdonalds muddy? :-k

Hate on me if you want, but do executives need to make 50 million dollars a year to point at a map and say "open a McDonald's there"? I guess with capitalism as long as some one will take the job that wont even cover low end rent.. It's legal..

Doesn't mean it's right though. Just because you can vote yourself whatever income you feel like sluicing off the top doesn't mean it's right.

Not everyone can go to college and get a better job. These "stupid and ignorant" people are doing a lot better than the freaks on welfare.. They get up in the morning and try their best to earn a living. Some of them are nice people that pour their heart and sweat and soul into trying to do a good job. Just to be spit on by a good majority that probably had parents that better equipped them to survive in this dog eat dog society we live in.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Im sure they could afford to pay more, but really they are paying for the skill level, the fucking register has pictures on it so you don't need to be able to read.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-29-2013, 08:46 PM
http://thewisecracker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Funny-photo-ronald-mcdonald-scares-little-girl.jpg

Muddy
07-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Im sure they could afford to pay more, but really they are paying for the skill level, the fucking register has pictures on it so you don't need to be able to read.

Nobodys saying pay them 50k a year.. But damn man, $7 an hour..?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-29-2013, 08:59 PM
These are jobs that are meant for high school / college kids, not people trying to raise a family. Its a damn near 0 skill job, how can you justify $15 hr for that?

Muddy
07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
$15 may be a little rich.. I'm thinking like 9-10...

PorkChopSandwiches
07-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Actually it is pretty fucked up when a manager cant even make $15

http://i.imgur.com/vus7CA4.png

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=McDonald's_Corporation/Hourly_Rate

Muddy
07-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Actually it is pretty fucked up when a manager cant even make $15

http://i.imgur.com/vus7CA4.png

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=McDonald's_Corporation/Hourly_Rate

It is fucked up, man.. People can call them losers but they are still carrying their asses to work trying to do something for themselves..

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2013, 10:55 PM
It is fucked up, man.. People can call them losers but they are still carrying their asses to work trying to do something for themselves..

Except for the ones out on strike because they think they deserve $15/hr to push picture buttons on a cash register :rolleyes:

Muddy
07-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Except for the ones out on strike because they think they deserve $15/hr to push picture buttons on a cash register :rolleyes:

Touche'..

KevinD
07-30-2013, 12:32 AM
My take? As Pork said, these type jobs aren't really meant as career jobs. I never worked in fast food, but I did work min wage (or less in some cases) for years. Do I feel sorry for those who are honestly trying? Yeah, a bit, but then again, there's nothing anywhere saying they have to work there. I literally at one time dug ditches. I also worked on a ranch for room and board +200/month.
To those who say school is too expensive, I say it depends. I (nor my parents) could afford to send me to "real" college. I joined the USAF, got a bit of help there with tuition, then worked 60-70hrs/week while going to school 20hrs/week at night to get a degree. Don't tell me it's too hard.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Who says you have to go to college to make a decent living? Learn a trade FFS. Not everyone is good at school, and even if you are, maybe you don't feel like going to college and running up a quarter million in debt.

I didn't go to college even though I graduated 6th in my high school class and had very good grades and scored higher than 1400 on my SAT's....and yet I make more money than most of my friends from back east that all went to college and into debt.

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2013, 10:37 AM
I didn't go to college even though I graduated 6th in my high school class and had very good grades and scored higher than 1400 on my SAT's....and yet I make more money than most of my friends from back east that all went to college and into debt.

Lance? Buy me a pony?

:)