PDA

View Full Version : Informal ‘White Student Union’ started at Georgia State

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2013, 11:16 AM
By Laura Diamond - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

http://i.imgur.com/9vADEtP.gif

Fall semester won’t start for several weeks, but Georgia State University has already received a handful of complaints about a new student club — the White Student Union.

Freshman Patrick Sharp said he started the club so that students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture and discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action.

The club is not an official student group recognized by the university. Sharp said any student can join and that he would work with other clubs, such as the Black Student Alliance, on common issues.

Georgia State is highly diverse, with whites comprising 38 percent of the student body, followed by blacks at 35 percent, Asians at 12 percent and Latinos at 7 percent.

“If we are already minorities on campus and are soon to be minorities in this country why wouldn’t we have the right to advocate for ourselves and have a club just like every other minority?” said Sharp, 18. “Why is it when a white person says he is proud to be white he’s shunned as a racist?”

Sharp, who is from Birmingham, Ala., enrolled this summer. Six students complained to the university after seeing his fliers around campus, said Doug Covey, vice president for student affairs. Covey said he responded to each by explaining he group is within its right to exist and that speech is protected even if offensive to someone.

Covey said Georgia State prides itself on diversity. “Many students choose to come to Georgia State over other colleges because of our diversity. We are proud to have a richly diverse environment that looks like the world in which our students will live and work and lead.”

Georgia State has more than 300 university recognized student clubs. These groups can reserve meeting space on campus and are eligible for financial support from activities fees.

Even without official status, the White Student Union can meet in common areas on the downtown Atlanta campus, Covey said.

Sharp said he doubts he will seek official status. The group would need a faculty or staff advisor and Sharp doubts he’d find one. He said a handful of students have joined so far.

He said he expects critics to call him and the group racist.

“I’ve already heard some of that and I don’t care what they have to say,” Sharp said.

Sharp said he was inspired to start the union after viewing videos and interviews with Matthew Heimbach, who started a White Student Union at Towson University in Maryland.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated the Maryland club as a “hate group” and two of its members recently advocated for racial segregation at a Conservative Political Action Conference.

Sharp said that doesn’t concern him.

“All we want to do is celebrate white identity,” he said. “This is about being in touch with who you are as a white person and being proud of that.”

deebakes
08-01-2013, 12:05 PM
uh-oh :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2013, 12:29 PM
In Atlanta, too. That kid's gonna be murdered.

Southern Belle
08-01-2013, 02:04 PM
If it's ok to have the Black Student Alliance, why isn't it ok to have the White Student Union?

Hal-9000
08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
seems o-kkk to me

Southern Belle
08-01-2013, 02:10 PM
:lol:

I'm tired of the double standard.

deebakes
08-01-2013, 02:22 PM
seems o-kkk to me

:clap:

Muddy
08-01-2013, 04:05 PM
If it's ok to have the Black Student Alliance, why isn't it ok to have the White Student Union?

Exactly... And I don't appreciate the Klan picture..

Hal-9000
08-01-2013, 07:37 PM

I could answer that in an off-hand way....keep in mind this is a reason, not my reason...

people were complaining - How come there's not a hetero-pride parade and celebrations?

gay guy had a thoughtful response - He politely listed the ways that gays have been discriminated against over the years. His reply made sense and was true. He finished by saying that when heteros get deprived of the same rights as gays, they should have parades.

The same thing could be said about whites and blacks. Whites don't suffer the same sort of discrimination, so the blacks had to form groups and rallies to stand for their rights.

again, I'm answering from a point of neutrality...

Muddy
08-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I could answer that in an off-hand way....keep in mind this is a reason, not my reason...

people were complaining - How come there's not a hetero-pride parade and celebrations?

gay guy had a thoughtful response - He politely listed the ways that gays have been discriminated against over the years. His reply made sense and was true. He finished by saying that when heteros get deprived of the same rights as gays, they should have parades.

The same thing could be said about whites and blacks. Whites don't suffer the same sort of discrimination, so the blacks had to form groups and rallies to stand for their rights.

again, I'm answering from a point of neutrality...

Bullshit, I have suffered a form of reverse discrimination my entire life.

Muddy
08-01-2013, 08:08 PM
And why would you think you represent "neutrality" you big fuckin HONKY! Give me a bleeding heart break :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-01-2013, 08:34 PM
GOD HATES WHITEY

deebakes
08-01-2013, 09:39 PM

is that why you have a house and a cabin? :-k

Southern Belle
08-01-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm sick and tired of the hypocritical bs. Women get discriminated against. Fat people get discriminated against. Everybody experiences some kind of discrimination every day. Stop fucking whining and playing the race card.

Hal-9000
08-01-2013, 10:26 PM

wow such strong words :oops:

OK then.....BULLSHIT ON YOU...if you think that you've suffered even 10% of what blacks have gone through for decades, you been smoking the rope pal...

Hal-9000
08-01-2013, 10:28 PM
And why would you think you represent "neutrality" you big fuckin HONKY! Give me a bleeding heart break :lol:

I said that because I knew that one fuckstick would take the post to heart and attack me for it :rolleyes:

you win :)

Hal-9000
08-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Seriously Mudster I understand what the gay guy was saying and was using the analogy of the black/white thing. That's why I said I approach the post from a position of neutrality..

I've never been discriminated against for my color or my sexual orientation so I can't really comment...

I have however been discriminated against for having long hair/the way I dress and for my habits, and in each case the critiques never kept me awake at night :lol:

KevinD
08-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Oaky, this is yet another one of those threads that I can't get to second or third page unless I post.

KevinD
08-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Now that I can see the rest of the posts, comment to follow:

There are times I get sick and tired of all the BS about racism. Does it exist? Yes, it does. Does sexism exist? Yeppers. Will it ever go away? TBH, I highly doubt it. That said, I think the problem(s) lately are more cultural. I can understand Hal's analogy, but I think where it might fail is that though racism exists in private lives, it most emphatically does not in academia or employment.

Hal-9000
08-01-2013, 10:55 PM
My only complaint would be this....

We're losing our identity. We encourage massive immigration into our country and then those same folks start changing our culture and traditions.

I used to admire people from other lands, having to learn and function using a new language, as well as having to learn the cultural ins and outs.

Now, not so much :|

KevinD
08-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Had to make a post just to see what Hal posted. Culture and traditions? Hmm, I'm not sure. I live in Texas, where obviously, there is a strong Hispanic culture and tradition. It always amuses me when folks from elsewhere move here and start ranting about Mexicans.

RBP
08-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Nothing wrong with a white student union. Minorities will cry and whine, just like feminists do about men's rights groups.

I completely agree that the divide is way more about culture than race right now.

And Hal, what's your time frame on the comment about what black people have gone through? The last 200 years, the last 70 years, or the current reality that is completely different from both of those?

Muddy
08-02-2013, 02:40 AM
wow such strong words :oops:

OK then.....BULLSHIT ON YOU...if you think that you've suffered even 10% of what blacks have gone through for decades, you been smoking the rope pal...

Forget decades! We live NOW....

RBP
08-02-2013, 04:53 AM

:agreed:

Hal-9000
08-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Nothing wrong with a white student union. Minorities will cry and whine, just like feminists do about men's rights groups.

I completely agree that the divide is way more about culture than race right now.

And Hal, what's your time frame on the comment about what black people have gone through? The last 200 years, the last 70 years, or the current reality that is completely different from both of those?

The past 200. I agree that things are currently different for blacks but the the prejudice is still there...anyone who says otherwise is not black. The 'funny vibe' is still alive and well. My supervisor and I have had some lengthy discussions about it, he be black and we have an open relationship.

Hal-9000
08-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Yeah the thread is about whites forming a group. My point is simple, whites don't suffer the same discrimination as blacks do. That is all. Over and out.

Cracker-9000

KevinD
08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Still have to reply to see 2nd page.

Hal-9000
08-02-2013, 02:12 PM
nothing to see here Kev....just a bunch of honkys jawing about civil rights :lol:

KevinD
08-02-2013, 02:28 PM
This is the second or third thread that this has happened to me now.

Muddy
08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
whites don't suffer the same discrimination as blacks do.

As a person who lives among great numbers of them, I disagree.

Richard Cranium
08-02-2013, 04:54 PM
This is the second or third thread that this has happened to me now.

You're being discriminated against.

KevinD
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Well, obviously!
Now, what we gotta do, brothers and sisters,
Is Rise up, I say RISE UP!!! Against the man..

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Here's the problem...I am tired of white people being portrayed as the only ones that are racist. I never owned slaves, my parents never owned slaves, and neither did my grandparents or their parents. I didn't make any laws concerning segregation and I never ever discriminated against anyone just because they are black or brown or yellow or blue. Yet it's okay for blacks or Mexicans or Asians to all have exclusionary clubs, TV shows, networks, beauty pageants, college scholarships, etc as well as still having affirmative action laws on the books that allow them to get a job over a better qualified white person.

Slavery happened2 centuries ago, get the fuck over it! You know why racism exists in this country today? Because blacks won't let it go, period. Don't blame me for something that happened in the past because I had nothing to fucking do with it. Get over yourself and while you're at it, quit calling yourself "African-American" because I'm guessing you or your parents have never even been to Africa. I'm not a "European-American", I'm white and you're black, deal with it.

White people are the ONLY people in this country that cannot be proud of their heritage in any way, shape, or form without being labeled a racist and I am fucking sick of it. Were blacks persecuted in the past? Of course. Are there still white racists out there today? Certainly. But trying to pretend that only white people are racist while all the while playing the racer card any time you feel slighted is bullshit.

/rant

Muddy
08-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Here's the problem...I am tired of white people being portrayed as the only ones that are racist. I never owned slaves, my parents never owned slaves, and neither did my grandparents or their parents. I didn't make any laws concerning segregation and I never ever discriminated against anyone just because they are black or brown or yellow or blue. Yet it's okay for blacks or Mexicans or Asians to all have exclusionary clubs, TV shows, networks, beauty pageants, college scholarships, etc as well as still having affirmative action laws on the books that allow them to get a job over a better qualified white person.

Slavery happened2 centuries ago, get the fuck over it! You know why racism exists in this country today? Because blacks won't let it go, period. Don't blame me for something that happened in the past because I had nothing to fucking do with it. Get over yourself and while you're at it, quit calling yourself "African-American" because I'm guessing you or your parents have never even been to Africa. I'm not a "European-American", I'm white and you're black, deal with it.

White people are the ONLY people in this country that cannot be proud of their heritage in any way, shape, or form without being labeled a racist and I am fucking sick of it. Were blacks persecuted in the past? Of course. Are there still white racists out there today? Certainly. But trying to pretend that only white people are racist while all the while playing the racer card any time you feel slighted is bullshit.

/rant

This is so simple.. Why can't people understand this? I'll tell you why... Media driven guilt and "the race card"...

Hal-9000
08-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm not a racist, I never drive fast :hand:

In other news... my coworkers loved the Brown Guy song I made up :lol:

Richard Cranium
08-02-2013, 08:10 PM
In other news... my coworkers loved the Brown Guy song I made up :lol:

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsmuElafSY

:hand: