PDA

View Full Version : Scaffolder in coma after 40ft fall named as popular DJ

redred
08-03-2013, 01:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ag7Je0A.jpg

A POPULAR DJ and father-of- two is lying in a coma after falling 40 ft from a building.

Paul Coughlan, 39, was taking down scaffolding in Upper Byron Place, just off the Clifton Triangle, when he fell last Thursday.

He was taken to Frenchay Hospital with a serious head injury and put into a medically induced coma.

He remains in a serious condition at the hospital but his family say he is now showing small signs of improvement.

Mr Coughlan, who lives in Crosscombe Drive with his girlfriend Samantha Sutton, 29, and their two children, aged eight and six , is also a well-known DJ.

He goes by the name DJ Coco and has played techno and old-school music at events across the city and further afield.

The family have been overwhelmed by the support they have received from the community following the incident.

Carly Sutton, 32, sister of Paul's girlfriend Samantha, who lives in Bedminster Down, said: "Paul is an extremely popular man, known by so many people.

"We can't believe how much support we have received from everyone in the community.

"It's been amazing and we want to thank everyone for their kind wishes.

"We'd also like to thank the staff at Frenchay, who have been absolutely brilliant."

Friends of Mr Coughlan are now organising a fundraising event in his honour, to help pay for his ongoing medical care.

Friend Johanne Waite came up with the idea of a family fun day and others are now helping her organise it.

It will take place at the Elm Tree pub in Queen's Road, Withywood, from 2pm on Sunday, August 25.

There will be activities for children, including a bouncy castle, as well as a raffle.

An evening of music will be held from 6pm onwards with various DJ friends of Mr Coughlan appearing. Admission is £5, with money raised going to Mr Coughlan's care.

Vicki Quayle, 28, one of the organisers, who lives in Stockwood, said: "I lived opposite Paul growing up – we come from the same area.

"Hartcliffe sometimes has a bad reputation but when something happens to someone everyone rallies round.

"We wanted to organise the fundraiser for his family, and hope Paul's condition continues to improve."

The Health and Safety Executive has launched a joint investigation with the police into the incident.

A spokesman for the HSE yesterday declined to give any details of the accident while the investigation is ongoing.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Scaffolder-coma-40ft-fall-named-popular-DJ/story-19596326-detail/story.html

redred
08-03-2013, 01:15 AM
posted as he's a mate of mine ,get well soon coco

deebakes
08-03-2013, 02:18 AM
best wishes red :hug:

Hal-9000
08-03-2013, 07:40 PM
hope your buddy pulls through Red, best wishes..

Fodster
08-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Yeh hope he pulls through mate.

I run a scaffold business and this is my biggest fear :(

Noilly Pratt
08-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Yikes! I hope he pulls through as well.

Hal-9000
08-04-2013, 07:11 PM
I used to live in Banff and fell backwards while climbing up Cascade Mountain. My friends estimated that I fell from about 70 feet. I hit trees below me before hitting the ground, then landed flat on my back. I remember that feeling of being winded/too scared to move. I was cut on every surface of my body, my hips and shoulders felt...different. I was so fortunate that I only had to pull twigs and other crap out of my skin...was lucky to get up and limp away

It amazes me how what looks to be a relatively small accident can injure a person severely or even cause death, and conversely how some people have horrible looking accidents and come out relatively well.

Southern Belle
08-05-2013, 02:08 AM
Having worked most of my adult life in industrial construction settings, I have the utmost respect for scaffold builders. Their job is not only dangerous, but physically demanding.
Hope your mate pulls through Red.