PDA

View Full Version : Police: Drunken driver admitted 'I'm hammered'

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Stephen Dean - RTV 6

http://i.imgur.com/kZz6A0h.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS - An Indianapolis man has been charged with drunken driving, after a near-miss that forced a bicyclist to fall from his bike on a sidewalk in the southern part of town.

Police said James Whightsel, 47, dangled his car keys out the window and made a surprising confession when he was finally pulled over.

An officer reported she spotted a 1997 black Volkswagen speeding northbound on Shelby Street, off Interstate 65 near Raymond Street, on Saturday afternoon.

She tried to pull the car over and noticed the driver passing several cars and swerving.

She said he swerved toward a sidewalk near the 1700 block of Linden Street, causing a bicyclist to fall off his bike to avoid being struck.

After checking to make sure the bicyclist was OK, the officer said she continued chasing the swerving car. The driver then stopped and backed up toward the police car, she said, before finally coming to a stop.

Police said the driver held his keys out the window and told the officer, "You got me, I'm hammered."

Her police report noted that he had glassy eyes and slurred speech, along with a strong odor of alcohol.

After the driver failed a field sobriety test, the officer administered a breath test, which registered 0.313 blood-alcohol content. That’s four times the legal limit of 0.08 in Indiana.

Whightsel was booked into jail on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital for a blood draw, which will also be used against him in court.

No one was hurt.

RBP
08-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Oops.

deebakes
08-06-2013, 12:45 PM
:oops:

Hal-9000
08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
contrite admissions after getting caught irk me...:meh: