PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! What's happening down there in the States???

Hal-9000
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Just heard a little bit on the radio about tornadoes killing people and destroying whole towns...

:| sounds horrible

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
It's pretty bad

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?5076-At-least-159-dead-in-severe-Southern-storms

There's a link to a Yahoo slideshow of photos showing the devastation in that thread

Muddy
04-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah man... Good everyday non Mcdonalds hurting people are getting slaughtered...

Hell even today ALL 3 of my kids at school were brought into a Tornado safe room and hunkered down for over twenty minutes...

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
200 people dead in Alabama alone now :|

Muddy
04-28-2011, 11:36 PM
We are under watch right now til 9pm..

Pony
04-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Firefighters searched one splintered pile after another for survivors Thursday, combing the remains of houses and neighborhoods pulverized by the nation's deadliest tornado outbreak in almost four decades. At least 280 people were killed across six states - more than two-thirds of them in Alabama, where large cities bore the half-mile-wide scars the twisters left behind.

http://www.wkyc.com/rss/article/187459/45/Update-Tornadoes-devastate-South-killing-at-least-280--

Hal-9000
04-29-2011, 02:35 AM
Yeah man... Good everyday non Mcdonalds hurting people are getting slaughtered...

Hell even today ALL 3 of my kids at school were brought into a Tornado safe room and hunkered down for over twenty minutes...

I've wondered about that...up here we have wild weather.Today we had sun, sleet, ice, snow and rain all within 4 hours.Another 15 cm of snow is expected tonight (6 inches)

We never have to endure earthquakes or tornadoes, in fact there's no plan...not even text instructions about what to do in the event of...
Do you guys and your kids practice drills and have plans of what to do in the case of a disaster? I know you're close to the coast so I guess that puts
hurricanes on the list too?

Hal-9000
04-29-2011, 02:37 AM
doesn't mean much..I still have to give my heartfelt good wishes to all those folks down there and hope that it stops soon...I've been reading a bit on the net, there's so much devastation already
:(

Godfather
04-29-2011, 03:02 AM
I've wondered about that...up here we have wild weather.Today we had sun, sleet, ice, snow and rain all within 4 hours.Another 15 cm of snow is expected tonight (6 inches)

We never have to endure earthquakes or tornadoes, in fact there's no plan...not even text instructions about what to do in the event of...
Do you guys and your kids practice drills and have plans of what to do in the case of a disaster? I know you're close to the coast so I guess that puts

We always stay thankful around here that we couldn't really get Tornados or Hurricanes because of the climate and mountains.... guess it's easier to count your blessings than to remember that we're due for a mega-thrust earthquake. We used to practice going under our desks, the entire province has days where even businesses practice drills for an earthquake.

So I just hope people remembered where they were supposed to go and hide and that it is effective :( The death toll is already horrendous. Pictures on the news look like a war zone. Hope it's all is ok in Mud's neighborhood.

Muddy
04-29-2011, 03:24 PM

The schools all have plans in place for most natural disasters (most likely for liability issues)... But as of lately... Tornados were never really an issue... These things are a big change from the ordinary for us..

Hope it's all is ok in Mud's neighborhood.

Thanks homie, all's good here..

My 3 year old was telling me how they were all in restroom (cinder block room) with the lights off and how they had a flashlight on and how the teacher brought a radio in the room and they were singing some songs along with the music on a cd...

Which in my opinion is brilliant... Get the kids minds off of whats going on and also use the music to drown out the noise outside so they wont be terrified and scarred for life...

redred
04-29-2011, 04:12 PM
(cinder block room)

:oops: i misread that as cider block room and thought cool :lol:

sorry :oops:

Muddy
04-29-2011, 07:28 PM
UPDATE: TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Authorities say the death toll from the devastating tornado outbreak across the South has climbed to 318, making it the deadliest day for twisters since the Great Depression.

redred
04-29-2011, 08:03 PM
that ain't a good update

Hal-9000
04-29-2011, 08:57 PM
UPDATE: TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Authorities say the death toll from the devastating tornado outbreak across the South has climbed to 318, making it the deadliest day for twisters since the Great Depression.

deadliest....day

that's not good :|

minz
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Is Belle OK? I know she said they were on tornado watch, has she been on today?

Hal-9000
04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Haven't seen her lately...I think she's in North Carolina and not sure if the area is affected :|

minz
04-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Ive only heard about this in the last 30 mins since getting home from work, we placed a ban on all forms of media today in the salon and declared it a wedding free zone...

Hal-9000
04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
She posted in the news and events section thread about this yesterday....sounded like some tornadoes came very close to her area

minz
04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
She posted in the news and events section thread about this yesterday....sounded like some tornadoes came very close to her area

I do hope she's ok :(

Hal-9000
04-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I can break my rule and log onto Fcuk-book tonight and see if she's around

Pony
04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I think Hubby was coming into town today, we may not see her much.

minz
04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I can break my rule and log onto Fcuk-book tonight and see if she's around

She's not been on ive checked, but as Pony just pointed out, Hubby may be keeping her busy :)

Pony
04-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm in the same time zone as her, she was on at 10 last night and again at 6 AM this morning. I don't know what time the storms rolled through there though.

Softdreamer
04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
I have to say there is alot of talk about 'freak weather' happening more often, But I'm more inclined to think modern media reports it more than they used to.
That and areas are overpopulated with cheap to build towns that fall down easier.

Not that its any less worse for those affected, and I don't mean to be heartless.. But you live where you live.
If you buy a trailer and park it in tornado alley, That's your choice.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 11:04 PM
:-s

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, which was nearly completely destroyed, was not a "trailer in tornado alley", it was a city of almost 200,000 people

Softdreamer
04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
I was being glib.
most of those affected would have been in that category though..

beowulf
04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I think Hubby was coming into town today, we may not see her much.

12 hours ago she posted on FB that she was heading to charlotte in nc today so perhaps thats why she is mia

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 11:22 PM
I was being glib.
most of those affected would have been in that category though..

Well then, just remember that next time there's a tragedy in the UK...I'll make sure not to give a rats ass about it and post something glib too

Hal-9000
04-29-2011, 11:25 PM
some very nice and large houses got nailed according to these pics....some neighborhoods look very affluent

http://www.google.ca/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gki7TdiUDIfZgQf76ozRAw&ved=0CDQQvwUoAQ&q=tuscaloosa+tornado&spell=1&biw=1440&bih=805

Softdreamer
04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
From what I see on that link, most of the houses are prefab trailer style places on unmade roads..

Softdreamer
04-29-2011, 11:35 PM
There will always be exceptions, but nearly all shots of the destruction are of cheap house of sticks buildings.