PDA

View Full Version : FBI Raids Apartment of Alleged King’s Speech Uploader

AntZ
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
FBI Raids Apartment of Alleged King’s Speech Uploader

By David Kravets

April 25, 2011

The FBI has raided the Los Angeles apartment of a Screen Actors Guild member the bureau believes was first to upload the Oscar-winning movie The King’s Speech as well as Black Swan, and other in-theater-only films to the Pirate Bay in January, according to interviews and sealed court records obtained by Wired.com.

The Tuesday raid of Wes DeSoto’s apartment came months after the guild and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences both lauded The King’s Speech with top-acting and top-picture awards.

The authorities are also investigating whether there is a link between DeSoto and the notorious Pirate Bay pre-release movie-uploading group TiMPE, according to a sealed FBI affidavit obtained by Wired.com. In the warrant request to search DeSoto’s apartment, FBI special agent Thomas Brenneis wrote Magistrate Suzanne H. Segal of Los Angeles that the bureau was seeking “records, documents, programs, applications or materials relating to ‘TiMPE’ and ‘thepiratebay.org.’”

DeSoto, who recently played a small role in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, said in a telephone interview he has no affiliation with TiMPE, and declined further comment.

“I’m nobody in the online file sharing world. This investigation is excessive and a waste of tax dollars,” he said.

Federal prosecutors in Los Angeles declined comment. The FBI in Los Angeles was not immediately prepared to comment.

The bureau’s involvement in the case, according to the affidavit, commenced in February when Larry Hahn, the Motion Picture Association of America director of content protection, “advised” the FBI that five “feature motion pictures” were uploaded to the Pirate Bay days before.

“Each of these movies was high-quality, and believed to have been movie-screener versions provided to members of the Screen Actors Guild,” the FBI’s Brenneis wrote. “Each of the movies had been released for theatrical viewing in the previous three months, before having been uploaded to thepiratebay.org, but none of the movies had been sold or distributed publicly in the DVD or video-streaming formats.”

The MPAA declined comment.

Threat Level obtained the affidavit on condition that it not publish the 34-page document in its entirety.

DeSoto is suspected of using the Pirate Bay handle mf34inc to upload the films in late January. No charges have been filed.

The affidavit references the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005, which makes it a crime, punishable by up to three years in prison, for releasing a work online that is “being prepared for commercial distribution.”

The authorities pinpointed DeSoto as the alleged culprit, because the screeners he viewed contained unique watermarks. What’s more, the guild had snail-mailed traceable iTunes codes to its members, who could use the code to access the screener movies.

Because pre-release uploading is perceived as an artform on the Pirate Bay, some commenters on Pirate Bay began questioning the authenticity of Black Swan, saying it was a “fake,” the affidavit said.

But mf34inc commented back that “SAG now sends out iTunes download codes for screens,” and “I’m a SAG member and thought I’d share these,” according to the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Paramount Pictures had inserted “specific identifying marks” for the screener The Fighter and discovered it linked to mf34inc on Pirate Bay, according to the affidavit. Other movies linked to that handle on Jan. 27 included 127 Hours, The King’s Speech, and Black Swan.

Deluxe Webwatch, a Paramount Pictures contractor, continued monitoring the Pirate Bay for additional uploads from mf34inc, according to the affidavit. The next day, Rabbit Hole was being uploaded, and Deluxe Webwatch captured the IP address of the seeder, according to the affidavit.

With a subpoena, the authorities demanded Time Warner Cable–Road Runner tell them who was the account-holder of the detected IP address, and the authorities obtained a warrant to search the premises. The agents seized a desktop computer from DeSoto’s apartment.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/04/kings-speech-uploader/

Pirate Bay! When will people learn? :rolleyes:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
The FBI loves torrents :thumbsup:

Acid Trip
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Use TOR or something similar when you're going to download things illegally. Your speed will suffer but they'll never find a single bounced off so many different countries/servers. Download a movie or song, hit the "new identity button", and then continue downloading.

https://www.torproject.org/

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Why would I want to spend 398573948673406709 hours to d/l something on a torrent using all kinds of things to mask my identity and slowing the speed to a crawl when I can download a 4 gig HD film in 4 minutes or less with a filehost?

AntZ
04-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Why would I want to spend 398573948673406709 hours to d/l something on a torrent using all kinds of things to mask my identity and slowing the speed to a crawl when I can download a 4 gig HD film in 4 minutes or less with a filehost?

Because using a file host is too easy! Spending hours monitoring your torrents while trackers are gathering your info for civil action is just so much more exciting! :shakehead:

Acid Trip
04-29-2011, 01:21 PM

It was advice on how to not get caught, not an edict as to how everyone should DL illegal shit my god. It's just a free program even the most novice PC user can use to enjoy online anonymity.

Edit: If you're stupid enough to DL torrents at least be smart enough to hide it.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Because using a file host is too easy! Spending hours monitoring your torrents while trackers are gathering your info for civil action is just so much more exciting! :shakehead:

:doh:

:lol:

Deepsepia
04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
[U]According to the affidavit, Paramount Pictures had inserted “specific identifying marks” for the screener The Fighter and discovered it linked to mf34inc on Pirate Bay, according to the affidavit.

I have wondered when they'd do this. It is not difficult to add particular identifiers to a file or to a DVD which would make it unique . . . the technology has been around for years and its generally referred to as "digital watermarking".

Wouldn't matter whether he'd uploaded by Torrent or by Rapidshare-- if the facts are as described, the guy gets nailed, because they can associate his copy with the circulating copies.

But this watermarking only is useful in this kind of a scenario-- won't affect someone who rips a tv broadcast, or a disc. Now you might imagine that, in time, the broadcasters might start adding personalized digital watermarks to streams sent to particular customers-- that is if you order "Saving Private Ryan" for streaming viewing on Netflix, you might get a copy digitally watermarked with your IP.

That's considerably beyond where we are now, and there are technical problems with such an approach, but if they wanted to stomp on piracy, that would be one approach.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 01:29 PM
It was advice on how to not get caught, not an edict as to how everyone should DL illegal shit my god. It's just a free program even the most novice PC user can use to enjoy online anonymity.

Edit: If you're stupid enough to DL torrents at least be smart enough to hide it.

If someone needs to use torrents to d/l something, then maybe the interwebz isn't the best place for them ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I have wondered when they'd do this. It is not difficult to add particular identifiers to a file or to a DVD which would make it unique . . . the technology has been around for years and its generally referred to as "digital watermarking".

Wouldn't matter whether he'd uploaded by Torrent or by Rapidshare-- if the facts are as described, the guy gets nailed, because they can associate his copy with the circulating copies.

But this watermarking only is useful in this kind of a scenario-- won't affect someone who rips a tv broadcast, or a disc. Now you might imagine that, in time, the broadcasters might start adding personalized digital watermarks to streams sent to particular customers-- that is if you order "Saving Private Ryan" for streaming viewing on Netflix, you might get a copy digitally watermarked with your IP.

That's considerably beyond where we are now, and there are technical problems with such an approach, but if they wanted to stomp on piracy, that would be one approach.

Exactly....I have seen on some screener copies I have downloaded with warnings stating just that...that each copy is watermarked digitally and if the disk is copied, they will know who the person was that copied it. I am very surprised that more people haven't been busted for uploading screeners.

AntZ
04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Use TOR or something similar when you're going to download things illegally. Your speed will suffer but they'll never find a single bounced off so many different countries/servers. Download a movie or song, hit the "new identity button", and then continue downloading.

https://www.torproject.org/

Come to think of it, this rang a bell! I was trying to remember a program that hid your identity so well that it in itself became a cause for concern. I remember something about that if you run that program or if it's found on your comp., you could be considered a pedo, because that's what they all use! I just can't remember the program, it could be this one??

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Come to think of it, this rang a bell! I was trying to remember a program that hid your identity so well that it in itself became a cause for concern. I remember something about that if you run that program or if it's found on your comp., you could be considered a pedo, because that's what they all use! I just can't remember the program, it could be this one??

That's the one

AntZ
04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Exactly....I have seen on some screener copies I have downloaded with warnings stating just that...that each copy is watermarked digitally and if the disk is copied, they will know who the person was that copied it. I am very surprised that more people haven't been busted for uploading screeners.

Because of the fear of watermarks, I actually looked at a couple screeners this year where people are now setting a good HD camera in front of a good flat screen and shooting the movie. The quality drops a little but it's still leaps and bounds better then a theater taping.

Deepsepia
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM

TOR is definitely designed to hide what you're doing -- but they're a very legit privacy group, and part of what they're doing is trying to help folks in Iran, China etc get information without the authorities dragging them off to the Gulag. To presume that someone using TOR is pedo would be way out of line, and its not particularly useful for media, as its very slow.

The Chinese, though, have started measures to detect the use of such programs, and simply using the program gets you unwelcome attention.