PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors Want Family's Handicap Ramp Removed

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
By: Zak Sos - KKTV Channel 11

http://i.imgur.com/BJLDtxt.jpg

A handicap ramp in front of a Fountain family's house is in the middle of a neighborhood squabble.

Vincent and Heidi Giesegh say their neighbors are threatening legal action if they don't remove the ramp. They say the next door couple is worried that the ramp will hurt the value of their home. The Giesegh's say they need it for their 16 year old daughter Kirsten who has Cerebral Palsy.

"As she goes into her spastic modes, we could just tumble down the stairs and both of us could get massively hurt," said Heidi Giesegh.

The Giesegh's neighborhood doesn't have an HOA, and the family says the City of Fountain told them it was ok to install the ramp and widen their driveway for a handicap van. 11 News went next door to get the neighbor's side of the story and they told us no comment.

"It's kind of irritating," said Vincent Giesegh. "I mean we're trying to do our best to assist our daughter with her daily needs to get in and out of the house."

The Giesegh's home is part of a community under construction. We reached out to the home's builder and they say they've also received complaints from the neighbors.

The Giesegh's say they've contacted the Rocky Mountain American Disability Center for help.

DemonGeminiX
08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Fuck the neighbors. It's not their property and only the property owners have a say. If the neighbors don't like it, then they can move.

Muddy
08-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Handicap ramps always trump HOA's. Sounds like these people have really petty neighbors.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Handicap ramps always trump HOA's. Sounds like these people have really petty neighbors.

According to the story, there isn't even an HOA in the neighborhood, plus they got permission from the city ahead of time.

Pretty classy of the neighbors to give a 'no comment' when the reporters show up :rolleyes:

Muddy
08-13-2013, 03:07 PM
My motto.. Comment first, read later.. :d

Noilly Pratt
08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
I think a lot of people would view a ramp as a plus...suppose you had your disabled friends or aged parents coming to visit?

If the neighbour hates it so much, voice your opinion and then chip in to help the dude buy a few evergreen hedges to eventually grow to cover the view of it a little if it bothers you. Having a handicapped kid is expensive.

Those neighbours are definitely uninvited to the neighbourhood BBQ!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2013, 03:17 PM
I fail to see the problem with it and even a need to cover it up. It's not like it was a homemade half-assed job, to me it looks fine and certainly looks like it was professionally done, so I fail to see how it will 'lower the property value' of the neighboring houses. Like Noilly said, I would view something like this as a plus, especially if they decided to sell down the line it would be a big added bonus for someone that is in a wheelchair or a family with a child or other family member in a wheelchair. Cement work isn't all that cheap so I'm guessing it was quite an investment for this family to put in.

Muddy
08-13-2013, 04:02 PM
If the neighbour hates it so much, voice your opinion and then chip in to help the dude buy a few evergreen hedges to eventually grow to cover the view of it a little if it bothers you.

I would tell that neighbor to suck my ass if they said they didn't like my ramp and offered to have it covered.. Fuck their view... ( I'm not mad at you, just responding with emotion) :)

PorkChopSandwiches
08-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Wow, talk about the worlds shittiest neighbors

Hal-9000
08-13-2013, 04:19 PM
If I was the people with the daughter I'd complain about everything I could think up about the other neighbor's property....wrong color house, window arrangement, grass smells etc

start a war with those assholes

redred
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
I would tell that neighbor to suck my ass if they said they didn't like my ramp and offered to have it covered.. Fuck their view... ( I'm not mad at you, just responding with emotion) :)

you'd build a big fence to block the view :lol:

Muddy
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
you'd build a big fence to block the view :lol:

Exactly.. on my OWN property.