PDA

View Full Version : Grrr...

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2013, 10:00 PM
My windshield washer isn't working. The damn reservoir is full, but I think I'm not hearing the washer fluid motor spraying out when I try to spray the windshield.

Noilly Pratt
08-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Old car? Still under warranty? I had that happen on my '78 Fiesta. Used to carry a coke bottle with me and splash the windshield until I could afford to fix it! It makes a great cleanser if you dilute it slightly.

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2013, 10:32 PM
6-7 year old car and the warranty's kaput.

Yt Trash
08-16-2013, 10:54 PM
silly question but did you check to see if the nozzles are clogged? check fuse?

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2013, 11:02 PM
No. To be honest, I can't get to the nozzles and I have no idea which fuse corresponds to that washer motor. I don't know if it's under the hood or if it's internal and I don't know which label it would be associated with. I'm looking at the manual and it doesn't look like it's listed by name.

Can I even get fuses at an auto parts shop?

Yt Trash
08-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Yes you can. You can get standard fuses and even the mini fuses that they use in late model cars. What's the year, make, and model car?

Here's a troubleshooting link (http://www.wikihow.com/Troubleshoot-a-Windshield-Washer-Pump)

KevinD
08-17-2013, 02:07 AM
You're gonna need some help troubleshooting this one. Takes two people if one can't get under the hood or under the car.

One thing that might be easy to check is open your hood, try your washers and see if you see any wetness under the hood. Often the small 1/8" or so rubber hoses will come loose somewhere.
If you can get some help, see if they can find the pump at the bottom of the reservoir. Probably have to go under car for this. Have them touch it or listen while you try to use it. If no humming or vibration, could be a fuse, or worse, could be the washer switch.

redred
08-17-2013, 07:08 AM
The pump should be pushed into the bottom on the container where you fill the washer fluid , like kev and others said this will be a 2 person job but could be a number of things pump , blocked pipe or jet, fuse or switch but should be a straight forward fix I hope

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'm gonna look into all of this when the brutal heat forces the bugs into hiding. Maybe I can get to the nozzles.

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Ok, my 2006 Honda Civic EX Coupe (because YT asked)... there's nothing clogging up the nozzles, as far as I can tell. I used a safety pin to poke around in them. I can't see the hoses that are leading to them, they're hidden pretty well, so I can't tell if there's a leak in the hose. Nothing's spraying all over the place when I test it with the hood up, as far as I can see. I can't hear the pump either. Of course, I can't get under the car, so I can't see if the reservoir's leaking, but I can tell you there's no leak under the car on the driveway. I can't identify which fuse belongs to the system.

Looks like I'm going to an auto repair shop... damn it.

redred
08-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Fuse 20 inside the car at the leftside under the panel , there is a central should be a 20 amp fuse

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t7334296-washer_pump_fuse_honda_civic_1_6_se

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2013, 09:04 PM
According to my manual, fuse 20 is not used on my car. I guess I'll have to go out and check.

It's about to start raining, so I'll do it tomorrow.

redred
08-17-2013, 09:11 PM
you need to make a friend in the trade :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Tell me about it. I used to have a friend in the trade, I went to high school with the bastard, but the son of a whore got married to a pushy bitch and she made him move out of state to be closer to her psychotic family. The last I heard, he was in hell. I knew her before he met her and I told to him to run like hell, but did he listen to me? Noooooooooo!

I don't think I could stand trying to relate to anybody else in the trade.

Yt Trash
08-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Honestly, I don't know your mechanical ability, but it's not a difficult fix. Just doing a brief search of year make and model it's under 30 bucks in parts to replace pump. I know a mechanic shop will charge more than that to fix it. It's a shame!

KevinD
08-18-2013, 01:45 AM
DGX might have trouble doing this one. If the pump is bad, it's either over the hood or under car to change it. I don't think his wheelchair becomes a creeper. :lol:

redred
08-18-2013, 06:43 AM
I've got it , fly me out I'll do the fix quick holiday at the same time everyone's happy you pay flights and I won't charge parts and labour how's that sound :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-18-2013, 08:41 AM
That's the crazy thing, I've read just about everything on how to do this and it looks ridiculously easy, all except for getting the front right wheel off and taking off the part of the body that's blocking access to it, which is what is required to get to the pump. You can't do over the hood, everything's bunched up in there.

And oh yeah, Kevin's right: I'm in a wheelchair. Maybe I should invest in a garage lift?

And the damn pump costs less than $30. 10 minute fix if I could get to it.

Alas, I must pay someone. It'll be cheaper than flying Red out to do it for me. :no:

Maybe I'll get lucky and find the fuse is the culprit (doubt it, but whatever).

redred
08-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Alas, I must pay someone. It'll be cheaper than flying Red out to do it for me. :no:

thats ok i understand :coat: i wouldn't be able to fly out for a couple of weeks anyway as off to Croatia on thursday

hope you sort out the fix and if i was closer i'd help out no problem :tup:

Richard Cranium
08-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Maybe I'll get lucky and find the fuse is the culprit (doubt it, but whatever).

If the fuse is blown it is only because the pump is shit or you have a short in the harness or the switch is shorted out. The only job the fuse has is to stop the car from burning to the ground, they will no blow on a modern automobile during normal operation.

DemonGeminiX
08-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I know, but I can't help hoping to save myself from being charged an arm and a leg for a part/fix that seems relatively insignificant in relation to the purpose of the vehicle. I'm over 30000 miles anyway so I might as well take her in to get the brake pads checked.

Richard Cranium
08-18-2013, 05:19 PM
You really need to move closer to one of us..:lol:

redred
08-18-2013, 05:25 PM
What about goof you'll love the weather in Scotland

Hal-9000
08-18-2013, 05:49 PM
fuse 20 is my horn fuse..

sorry DGX :lol:

go get raped for a 1/2 hour labor and the part at Honda...save you trying to tear your car apart exploring...

Hal-9000
08-18-2013, 05:55 PM
what I'm looking at buying right now.. 8-[

http://i.imgur.com/cvX0Boo.jpg

Hal-9000
08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
8-[

http://i.imgur.com/Jf9oQ7D.jpg

Hal-9000
08-18-2013, 06:05 PM
the wiper fuse itself is fuse #38, upper right large one in the box...but probably not for the pump

Hal-9000
08-18-2013, 06:06 PM
this worked on a '99 Civic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO07cBK_Elk

Hal-9000
08-18-2013, 06:07 PM
I think this is what Red found...fuse 20

but in that case the guy says if the fuse is blown, the wipers won't work at all

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1n8os-fuse-controls-windshield-washer-pump-2006-honda-crv.html

redred
08-18-2013, 06:13 PM
8-[

:lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-18-2013, 07:19 PM
You really need to move closer to one of us..:lol:

My brother does live in Endicott, and I absolutely love Ithaca, but I don't like the weather nor the gun laws of New York. Living in the South for over 20 years has really thinned my blood out.

DemonGeminiX
08-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I think this is what Red found...fuse 20

but in that case the guy says if the fuse is blown, the wipers won't work at all

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1n8os-fuse-controls-windshield-washer-pump-2006-honda-crv.html

That's what I've been thinking... if it were the fuse the wipers wouldn't work, but the wipers on my car work fine.

DemonGeminiX
08-18-2013, 07:26 PM
What about goof you'll love the weather in Scotland

:hand:

No. I can't drink like they do. My liver will fail just by watching them.

fuse 20 is my horn fuse..

sorry DGX :lol:

go get raped for a 1/2 hour labor and the part at Honda...save you trying to tear your car apart exploring...

*Doesn't tell Hal about the paint job issues he may have to face later*

8-[

8-[

:nutkick:

Hal-9000
08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
you'll probably laugh but I had to take my car in to change the serpentine belt...It's hard to get at without the right tool and I tried :|

I did read about it and the guy warned - first thing they'll tell you is that an engine mount will have to be moved (to jack up labor time)

sure enough, first thing out of the shop guy's mouth was that and I called him on it :lol: He sheepishly said I was right and walked away

DemonGeminiX
08-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Oh, I know all about serpentine belts. I'll never take my car to a Texaco service station because of that little experience.

Muddy
08-19-2013, 07:48 PM
You may need to have the transmission drained and the wheels rebalanced.

Hal-9000
08-19-2013, 07:50 PM
for the wiper squirty thing? :hand:

he needs to have the pistons re-bored minimum...

Muddy
08-19-2013, 08:12 PM
for the wiper squirty thing? :hand:

he needs to have the pistons re-bored minimum...

That too. Sometimes fiddling with the radio helps...

Richard Cranium
08-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Change the blinker fluid and re-adjust the knueter valve.

DemonGeminiX
08-19-2013, 09:15 PM

I'll be well armed for my service center visit thanks to you chaps!

:tup:

Muddy
08-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Make sure they wax it too..

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 12:39 AM

I'll be well armed for my service center visit thanks to you chaps!

I'll never bring this up with you again...but...have you ever been tempted to take some schematics to the service center, wrench on your lap and sound dejected because you couldn't get the front wheel off/into the engine compartment and troubleshoot the damned wiper pump because of your chair! :(

even if you can do the above...I bet they drop 100 bucks off your bill :lol:

sorry man, had to ask

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 12:43 AM
btw..finally sat in the new Civic tonight...couldn't drive the damn thing but got to sit in a few different models :lol:

the sales guy was a fast talking, slick young guy, right out of the Honda/Borg finishing school

so I say - Darren, the first thing I'm going to do on a test drive is hold one foot firmly on the brake and one foot on the gas for about 30 seconds..I call that my traction control/stability test :tup:

he stopped talking immediately and asked - Really??????

:lol: I love it

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Hahahaha... cover myself with oil, dirt, and grease... "If it wasn't for this goddamned chair giving me impossible angles to work from, I swear I'd have the damned thing fixed in under 15 minutes!!!"

I could go for $150 and show up with my arm in a cast.

Muddy
08-20-2013, 12:47 AM
btw..finally sat in the new Civic tonight...couldn't drive the damn thing but got to sit in a few different models :lol:

the sales guy was a fast talking, slick young guy, right out of the Honda/Borg finishing school

so I say - Darren, the first thing I'm going to do on a test drive is hold one foot firmly on the brake and one foot on the gas for about 30 seconds..I call that my traction control/stability test :tup:

he stopped talking immediately and asked - Really??????

:lol: I love it

Id tell you to get out of the showroom..

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Before or after he left tire marks on the showroom floor?

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Id tell you to get out of the showroom..

good thing you don't pitch cars for a living :thumbsup:

the guy was a motormouth and at one point....you gotta let a customer ask a question or get a word in ffs :lol:

I only asked him one other thing to shut him up....Can I start it here in the showroom? :)

He was pure snake oil Muddy, sometimes a man has gotta gain equal ground

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Before or after he left tire marks on the showroom floor?

too funny...I did interrupt him with that earnest question too :lol:

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 12:53 AM

I could go for $150 and show up with my arm in a cast.

:rofl:

oh my, it's a good thing we don't roll together..

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 12:59 AM
so I have two dealers offering the same car and options within 173 dollars of each other...

one place offers free oil changes for 10 years and that may be my final buying factor...oil is 56.95 or 60 bucks, twice a year at least = 120/yr

over 10 years = 1200 bucks

so the guy that doesn't offer it whines and says - we used to do it too but when clients went to other places to get their oil done, we voided the offer and they cried...so we stopped doing it, so we wouldn't have to hear them bitching...

that's probably the weakest rational I've ever heard for discontinuing an actual client benefit in the world of cars :lol: If I'm getting 60 dollar oil changes for free, of course I'm going to take it to THAT dealership, to use the benefit...

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 01:00 AM
apologies DGX...this isn't helping your squirting problem :oops:

I may become a member of the Honda nation in aboot two weeks though...

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2013, 01:06 AM
My squirting problem is done on this end. I just have to take it to get it fixed, and figure out a way of not getting raped in the process.

Noilly Pratt
08-20-2013, 02:52 AM
That is a weak rationale for sure, Hal.

What I'd be inclined to do is to examine both Honda shops and have a brief talk with the shop manager. I did it when I bought my Nissan and I was glad I did. The one 20 minutes down the road was a pain to get to in comparison to the one 3 minutes away, but they were much nicer and the shop manager was much more competent and really knew his product.

And, in a couple of years the local place shut down in part because of a few repair catastrophes...it was in the local paper. The only dealing I had with them was because one weekend I couldn't be arsed to travel the 40 minutes to get a part, and ask for it to be replaced under warranty (it was the rear package tray on my hatchback -- only lasted 6 months and it broke at both pivot points.)

The dude reams me out and said he should refuse the warranty claim for me "abusing" the car. I did nothing of the sort. What really frosted me was that the replacement part had extra riveting at the pivot point...proving that Nissan had improved the replacement...never went there again.

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 03:27 PM
I was kind of underwhelmed sitting in the 2013 Civic...cramped, real low profile, slanted windshield...and I've read on Honda forums that the 8th and 9th generation Hondas have problems...weak or no rear window defroster even with the option, weak AC...I don't need much in a car but if the basics suck I may have to look at another brand

:| I had that thing bought in my mind....still, I'll take one for a spin to see the handling..

compact cars in that segment average 25 grand....I can get a nice crossover for less...

Muddy
08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
I was kind of underwhelmed sitting in the 2013 Civic...cramped, real low profile, slanted windshield...and I've read on Honda forums that the 8th and 9th generation Hondas have problems...weak or no rear window defroster even with the option, weak AC...I don't need much in a car but if the basics suck I may have to look at another brand

:| I had that thing bought in my mind....still, I'll take one for a spin to see the handling..

compact cars in that segment average 25 grand....I can get a nice crossover for less...

Get the Accord then! :dance:

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Get the Accord then! :dance:

I was drooling over it in the showroom...fo sure...

I don't make big bucks so I can only dream...up here you get one with any sort of options and you're looking at 32-35000 sheckles

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 04:06 PM
we have this strange Ford dealer here....his website advertises employee pricing.....15000 for an F150 truck and 12300 for a 2013 Ford Escape (kinda SUV)

I could buy both for the price of an average Civic :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
so I have two dealers offering the same car and options within 173 dollars of each other...

one place offers free oil changes for 10 years and that may be my final buying factor...oil is 56.95 or 60 bucks, twice a year at least = 120/yr

over 10 years = 1200 bucks

so the guy that doesn't offer it whines and says - we used to do it too but when clients went to other places to get their oil done, we voided the offer and they cried...so we stopped doing it, so we wouldn't have to hear them bitching...

that's probably the weakest rational I've ever heard for discontinuing an actual client benefit in the world of cars :lol: If I'm getting 60 dollar oil changes for free, of course I'm going to take it to THAT dealership, to use the benefit...

Well, they could have had the problem that I am dealing with....I get free oil changes with my Tacoma all the way to 25,000 miles and then the sales guy threw in up to 55,000 mile for free. Problem is, the dealer I bought my truck from is way on the south side of the city while I live on the north side of the city (about a 45 minute drive if I go direct from home). It's waaaaaay out of my way to go get the oil changed at the dealership. Usually I try and schedule it for Friday early afternoon so I can leave straight from work to go down there. There are times I have thought about going someplace more convenient on my end of the city and paying for it when I already would get it for free at the dealership. So far I have had them done all at the dealership.

Muddy
08-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I was drooling over it in the showroom...fo sure...

I don't make big bucks so I can only dream...up here you get one with any sort of options and you're looking at 32-35000 sheckles

fecking hell! 27k here..

Richard Cranium
08-20-2013, 11:51 PM
My kid just bought a 96 VW GTI with 78k on it for $650.

I'll sell it to you for $8700 delivered.

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2014, 05:01 PM
:huh:

The paint's fading off of my car. WTF?

Goofy
07-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Fading or flaking? :-k What colour is it?

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2014, 05:11 PM
It's gray, and I'd say it's fading, from what I can see. It's on the top of the roof towards the back, closer to the rear windshield... at least that's where it's really fading.

It looks like it's starting to fade on the hood too.

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2014, 05:32 PM
*Cough* 8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2014, 05:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Cy7QxSz.jpg

FBD
07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
:lol: shit ya not, my friend's fuggin brother painted his bronco with a 4" brush :rofl:

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2014, 06:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Cy7QxSz.jpg

It's gonna be expensive.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2014, 06:35 PM
It's gonna be expensive.

http://i.imgur.com/VwYDbp3.jpg

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2014, 07:06 PM

This ain't 1950 anymore.

Hugh_Janus
07-28-2014, 07:10 PM
:lol: shit ya not, my friend's fuggin brother painted his bronco with a 4" brush :rofl:

it probably looked better than some of the work I've seen.... some of them you'd get a better finish if you scooped the paint in your hand and threw it at the car

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2014, 07:11 PM

This ain't 1950 anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/Qlow568.jpg

Hugh_Janus
07-28-2014, 07:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Qlow568.jpg

it probably looked better than some of the work I've seen.... some of them you'd get a better finish if you scooped the paint in your hand and threw it at the car

Pony
07-30-2014, 08:52 PM
It's gray, and I'd say it's fading, from what I can see. It's on the top of the roof towards the back, closer to the rear windshield... at least that's where it's really fading.

It looks like it's starting to fade on the hood too.

Probably not enough clearcoat on it to have proper UV protection. Could start peeling.

Hal-9000
07-30-2014, 10:48 PM

neighbor sisters used a roller and latex I believe on their car

looked real shitty for about a week before it started peeling :lol: