PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Sign With Obvious Advice Costs Taxpayers Around $13,000

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
By Andy Kossak - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/L3J5Fpf.jpg

A controversy has developed in Virginia over an electronic sign that reads in all capital letters, “Don’t hit the car in front of you.” A local police official is defending the sign, but some local residents aren’t pleased with the message that cost a chunk of taxpayer money.

The sign was put up just outside Washington D.C. by the Arlington County Police Department, costing taxpayers about $13,000, Lieutenant David Green Jr. told The Blaze.

He defended the expense, according to MSN, noting it's a high-accident area and the bulk are rear-end collisions. Previous signs with more subtle messages didn't work, he said.

The Blaze was notified about the sign by Amanda Anderson. She said the sign was an example of government waste and said she trusts individuals not to “purposefully hit the car in front of them.”

“I am dismayed to see my hard-earned tax dollars going towards expensive signs which tell me what to do,” Anderson added.

Another local resident, Paul-Martin Foss, said the sign in and of itself poses a threat to drivers on the road.

“Not only are these types of signs insulting to the vast majority of us who are competent drivers, but they’re also incredibly dangerous,” Foss said.

Green Jr. noted that since the sign is an electronic billboard, his department can use it for other purposes, if needed.

deebakes
08-19-2013, 12:07 PM
:facepalm: