PDA

View Full Version : What's the story behind your current forum username?

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Tell us the background for your username :)

I'll go first...

It was 2003 and I was new to computers and the internet. I had never joined a chatroom, IM, forum...hell I didn't even know you could sign up to places and offer an opinion that other people would read :lol:

I chose the computer's name from Stanley Kubrick's movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. In the movie HAL 9000 was an onboard computer in a spaceship that appeared to make it's own decision. This would have made HAL the first sentient computer. We find out later in the movie that HAL made a choice between two conflicting logic instructions, one overruled the other and it simply carried out the action.

The thought scared the hell out of me and still does to this very day :lol: I love technology, but not leaving decisions to machines that could affect my physical well-being.

MrsM
08-20-2013, 09:03 PM
MrsM - because I am Mrs. M...

Sorry no cool story like Hal :)

Richard Cranium
08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Frankly, I'm shocked.. I never would have guessed that you took your screen name from the movie hal..

I'm a dick head.. plain and simple/

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
MrsM - because I am Mrs. M...

Sorry no cool story like Hal :)

simple and sweet, like you :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Frankly, I'm shocked.. I never would have guessed that you took your screen name from the movie hal..

I'm a dick head.. plain and simple/

jar head is more like it....I've seen your picture

:dance: :lol:

Richard Cranium
08-20-2013, 09:38 PM
;-)

minz
08-20-2013, 09:42 PM
When I first started to use the internet my partner (at that time) used to use the name Denis the Menace, a comic book character, his side kick was called minni the minx so I took on that name, as time when by it was always shortened to minz by other people so I decided to keep the short version and bin the original name.

redred
08-20-2013, 09:48 PM
A truck load of stolen paint cans can you guess what colour I had :lol:

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 09:51 PM
there it is :lol:

Noilly Pratt
08-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Noilly Pratt -- There is a vermouth named Noilly Prat ( just 1 "t") and my brother when I was about 18, the pretensious social climbing git that he was (he's 21 years my senior), was going on and on about this new vermouth he'd tried all night. And I thought it sounded a weird name, so the ol' brain catalogged it.

Fast-forward to my mid 20s and I'm on the internet and posting with my real name on a forum that was for my car. I made a comment about a certain tire I liked, and then I was copied into oblivion, with my name for all to see and people wanting me to support my arguement, taking me to task, as only people on forums can do...you know what I mean :)

So, I knew I wanted to go Incognito from then on. Somehow Noilly Pratt came to the frontal lobe and thus that's what I was on forums from then on.

I had recently heard of the last name of Pratt (some friend of a friend) and it made me remember the vermouth. And there was the British expression of a prat being a dumb person; I thought it would be better than calling myself "Tom Terriffic" or some such - more in keeping with my personality...underpromise and then overdeliver! :)

And, I thought that the 1 't' just looked wrong, and so I added that along too.

Apart from trying it in my early 20's I've never had Noilly Prat since. The added humour in this is that I don't really drink alcohol much, anyway. Not a puritan, but just got out of the habit. I had a beer 2 weeks ago and before that it was a few ciders whilst in England.

http://i43.tinypic.com/24vl9up.jpg

Why the signature? Well, I'm mad about the Beatles. And many of my relatives live in their hometown or thereabouts. And I lived there for a time too.

Signature in question (in case I change it and others are looking back):
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ihlapc.jpg

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 10:18 PM
that sign has two L's :-k

Noilly Pratt
08-20-2013, 10:21 PM
No - 2 T's not 2 L's! :) or verse visa...

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2013, 10:21 PM
One late night in college when I decided to start playing online poker (circa '03 or '04), I was looking for a username that I hadn't used before and the Exorcist 3 was on late night cable TV. I think it was the TNT channel. Anyway, if you've seen the movie you should be able to recall that the demon that was inhabiting Father Karras' body while he was in the asylum was the spirit of a deceased serial killer called the Gemini killer played by Brad Dourif. I thought 'Demon Gemini' had a nice ring to it. So I signed myself up at the poker site as DemonGemini. I found a similar poker site with more people playing there so I tried to sign myself up there too using the same nick, but I kept getting a sign up error telling me the nick was already being used. I found out later that both poker sites were run by the same company and the DemonGemini nick was in a single database that served both sites. Because I didn't know that at the time, and I didn't want to think of a different nick, I added the X when I signed up at the second site. So technically, I had two accounts with the same online poker company: DemonGemini and DemonGeminiX. Anyway, I socialized more under the DemonGeminiX nick, so I kept it and it's become my main internet alias nowadays. I have others, but I prefer to keep them to myself.

And by the way if you haven't seen The Exorcist 3, here's a pretty creepy scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 10:23 PM
No - 2 T's not 2 L's! :) or verse visa...

How many J's does idjit have? :lol:

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 10:24 PM
One late night in college when I decided to start playing online poker (circa '03 or '04), I was looking for a username that I hadn't used before and the Exorcist 3 was on late night cable TV. I think it was the TNT channel. Anyway, if you've seen the movie you should be able to recall that the demon that was inhabiting Father Karras' body while he was in the asylum was the spirit of a deceased serial killer called the Gemini killer played by Brad Dourif. I thought 'Demon Gemini' had a nice ring to it. So I signed myself up at the poker site as DemonGemini. I found a similar poker site with more people playing there so I tried to sign myself up there too using the same nick, but I kept getting a sign up error telling me the nick was already being used. I found out later that both poker sites were run by the same company and the DemonGemini nick was in a single database that served both sites. Because I didn't know that at the time, and I didn't want to think of a different nick, I added the X when I signed up at the second site. So technically, I had two accounts with the same online poker company: DemonGemini and DemonGeminiX. Anyway, I socialized more under the DemonGeminiX nick, so I kept it and it's become my main internet alias nowadays. I have others, but I prefer to keep them to myself.

And by the way if you haven't seen The Exorcist 3, here's a pretty creepy scene:

:shock:

you bastard

minz
08-20-2013, 10:26 PM
:shock:

you bastard

It's ok to watch it Hal there are no rabbits in that clip. :)

Richard Cranium
08-20-2013, 10:37 PM
OK, so heres my real story,

I had an acquaintance years ago back in AZ named Richard Thorner that I tormented with this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYEO_WZUGcY

Every morning when he walked into the building, every time he set foot in the shop, had a CD in several vehicles and had my bartender buddy play it at our local drinking hole whenever he walked in and when ever he walked back to his stool from the bathroom..

Anyways, Richard Smoker kinda morphed into Richard Cranium and I decided to use it.

Noilly Pratt
08-20-2013, 10:38 PM
DGX - Yikes! Remind me not to watch that before bedtime! Cool story though. Same with Red's and Minz. I don't remember Minnie in Dennis The Menace...thought there was just Margaret...

Anyway. No prob Hal - you owe me a dumb question, and you know it will happen! :)

Hal-9000
08-20-2013, 10:50 PM
OK, so heres my real story,

I had an acquaintance years ago back in AZ named Richard Thorner that I tormented with this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYEO_WZUGcY

Every morning when he walked into the building, every time he set foot in the shop, had a CD in several vehicles and had my bartender buddy play it at our local drinking hole whenever he walked in and when ever he walked back to his stool from the bathroom..

Anyways, Richard Smoker kinda morphed into Richard Cranium and I decided to use it.

that's a catchy little tune.....you dick :lol:

Richard Cranium
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
If you arent familiar, check out the rest of the album.. funny ass shit. I loved fucking with our country bumpkin truck drivers, they thought it was really country music,

Muddy
08-20-2013, 11:04 PM

Who was that with the clippers?

deebakes
08-20-2013, 11:27 PM
when i was growing up and playing sports, we would always shorten people's last names to one syllable names so that you could yell it out easily on the court/field/ice to get their attention. a good friend of mine has the same last name (baker), so bakes wasn't sufficient enough to delineate the two of us. my first name starts with d, so i became d-bakes and he was m-bakes. so many people started calling me dee that it has pretty much stuck with me to this day. :shrug:

not very exciting :(

KevinD
08-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Mine is self explanatory.

KevinD
08-20-2013, 11:46 PM
My old one: kmdracer is my initials, and I liked to street race still back in 99 or 2000 when I was first active on what we now call the internet. I don't remember what my pre-internet, dial-up BBS nick was. Too many years and beers ago, :lol:

One reason I switched to my current is a few years ago, I did a google search on kmdracer. Seems I'm not the only one using it, and the other(s) go to some very, very strange sites. :shock:

Muddy
08-20-2013, 11:49 PM
My name is Muddy.. And I am a shortened version of a road I have a place on.. And I love beer and shaved pooch..

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Who was that with the clippers?

It's an asylum with a large population of old folks in it. A demon possesses the old folks, jumping from person to person when it wants to do its dirty work, and uses them to get around to kill people. So the freak with the clippers was more than likely an older patient that had been possessed.

RBP
08-21-2013, 01:31 AM
On the Oprah Winfrey show she did a feature segment on teen oral sex parties where the girls would wear different color lipstick and create a rainbow on the dude's cock. They became known as rainbow parties. I thought is was funny as fuck that Oprah would be talking about it on daytime TV. So I took the name RainbowParty. It hasn't been the greatest because I have gotten a lot of shit from people who assume it has gay connections because of rainbow. When we moved to the new site, I shortened it to RBP.

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Could've been worse. You could've chosen LemonParty instead. Imagine the shit we all would've given you then.

Loser
08-21-2013, 04:14 AM
I chose this name because the forum that shall not be named wouldn't allow me to call myself Asshole.

Pretty much it. No story behind it :lol:

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 06:11 AM
when i was growing up and playing sports, we would always shorten people's last names to one syllable names so that you could yell it out easily on the court/field/ice to get their attention. a good friend of mine has the same last name (baker), so bakes wasn't sufficient enough to delineate the two of us. my first name starts with d, so i became d-bakes and he was m-bakes. so many people started calling me dee that it has pretty much stuck with me to this day. :shrug:

not very exciting :(

it actually 'splains a lot, Lucy :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Mine is self explanatory.

KevinC was taken? :-s

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 06:15 AM
My name is Muddy.. And I am a shortened version of a road I have a place on.. And I love beer and shaved pooch..

we have an element of drunken native Indians up here...not all, just some...my friends and I would do the drunk Indian talk and when we used to see a girl, we'd call out - Hey! Shelley Dirty-Belly!... if she was hot or appeared slutty

dirt-ty bel-ly...Muddy Gut....I think of it every time :lol:

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 06:16 AM
On the Oprah Winfrey show she did a feature segment on teen oral sex parties where the girls would wear different color lipstick and create a rainbow on the dude's cock. They became known as rainbow parties. I thought is was funny as fuck that Oprah would be talking about it on daytime TV. So I took the name RainbowParty. It hasn't been the greatest because I have gotten a lot of shit from people who assume it has gay connections because of rainbow. When we moved to the new site, I shortened it to RBP.

I knew the act but didn't realize that Oprah was showcasing it :lol:

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 06:17 AM
I chose this name because the forum that shall not be named wouldn't allow me to call myself Asshole.

Pretty much it. No story behind it :lol:

:lol: I'll call you Asshole

Goofy
08-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Goofy's been my real life nickname since i was a kid :) It started when i was about 6 or 7 i think, i'd written my name in my textbook at school and my best mate thought it said Goofy instead of Geoff :lol: He started calling me Goofy all the time then so did everyone else......

Jezter
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Jezter: Because I like to make people laugh, entertain the masses...and because my nickname is Juza so the "z" for "Jezter" came from there.
Simple and straightforward.

MrsM
08-21-2013, 02:22 PM
simple and sweet, like you :thumbsup:

Aww Thanks :hug:

Noilly Pratt
08-21-2013, 03:13 PM
we have an element of drunken native Indians up here...not all, just some...

I embarrasingly admit I did that talk as well when living in Edmonton - back in less PC times 34 years ago *shudder*.

Every time I see a Toonie ($2 coin) I can't help but think of what my brother told me about some of the reservation girls. He was a cop and part of his beat was on the reservation. He said that some of the bottom rung ladies of the evening would offer up a BJ for that.

Muddy
08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
we have an element of drunken native Indians up here...not all, just some...my friends and I would do the drunk Indian talk and when we used to see a girl, we'd call out - Hey! Shelley Dirty-Belly!... if she was hot or appeared slutty

dirt-ty bel-ly...Muddy Gut....I think of it every time :lol:

No, dude.. Only my butt crack is dirty...

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I embarrasingly admit I did that talk as well when living in Edmonton - back in less PC times 34 years ago *shudder*.

Every time I see a Toonie ($2 coin) I can't help but think of what my brother told me about some of the reservation girls. He was a cop and part of his beat was on the reservation. He said that some of the bottom rung ladies of the evening would offer up a BJ for that.

pick up a drunken native girl, give her a ride..

she starts rubbing your leg screaming - you're passionate, you're passionate!
you say - of course, you're a beautiful woman
she responds - NO! The liquor store...you're passhing it you dumb fuck!

:lol:

Noilly Pratt
08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
I LOLed, Hal!

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Just in case you missed it before, this is how Porky got his username, oh so many moons ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 02:01 PM
I have that gif ^^ :lol:

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 02:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iEvJRVc.gif

http://i.imgur.com/lz6IW7c.gif

Muddy
08-26-2013, 05:26 PM
I once cooked a prepared/cooked a 'porkchopsandwich'. I posted the picture over at A.S. I think.

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I've cooked them in mushroom soup, never made a sammy out them tho

Muddy
08-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Probably best to use the boneless ones.

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 05:34 PM
I like ham and bacon...not a big fan of the chop and the pork roast

read something about how pork roast is one of the hardest meats for your body to digest

Muddy
08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
You have to really chew it well... :razz:

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
pork roast = Porky's ass

:hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-26-2013, 06:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8

DemonGeminiX
08-26-2013, 10:11 PM
:porky:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2013, 01:42 AM
:twisted:

Southern Belle
10-04-2013, 04:07 AM
Mine is self explanatory as well.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2013, 10:28 AM
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks.

FBD
10-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Probably best to use the boneless ones.

always go for bone in! teh marrow is very nutritious!

like many others, I came up with my name because I couldnt think of anything better at the time. far. beyond. fkn. driven.

driven to what, lord knows :lol:

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 02:05 PM
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks.

My door is made of ice....so go ahead, knock your brains out Heisenburger

Tank
10-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Well mine has been with me since my mid teens. I was an average height/weedy kid until something changed over the summer of my 15th or 16th Birthday. I shot up to being the tallest in my year at school and with it came broad shoulders, I hit the gym pretty hard and gained muscle fairly easily compared to my mates who also trained with me. (I have pretty cool horizontal stretch marks along my mid/lower back from my growth spurts. my Mum and Brothers admitted they thought I'd gotten into some kinky shit that left the marks on my back. I always assumed they were from begin studded on the rugby pitch, it was only years later when I was having my back looked at that the nurse mentioned my unusual stretch marks)

I got drafted into the schools Rugby and Basketball teams to put a bit of fear into the opposition. (I sucked at rugby, except for having one hell of a kicking boot, so was only ever really put on to 'go through/take out' other players. I liked basketball and was always a point guard, due to being tall, but also had quite a 3 pointer arm on me. )

I was also quite Tank and War Plane lover, and due to all the tackling and roughing up of the opposition other team mates and my friends called me a Tank. so the nickname stuck. but got used less and less after leaving school and falling out of touch with some of the friends.

Then a few years later the movie Old School came out, the same time as I was experimenting with being an alcoholic, I was single, living the bachelor life, and was known for not backing down to any challenges, no matter how stupid or illegal/risky they were. So the workmates compared me to Frank the Tank, and when I told them that was my school nickname they started using it again. Much to my bosses annoyance.

I'm also sorry to admit i tried working my nickname into my chat-up lines. Workmates always call me Tank when out so if girls heard it, they'd invariably ask. and me being a drunken ass would say its down to me having a massive turret :mrgreen::lol: worked once or twice, but they always had a look of disappointment at my regular sized 'barrel' :rolleyes::oops:

So there it is, not really a cool ass story.
And my mrs hates the nickname as it reminds her of the ass I was when we first started dating. she says I used to be a different person whenever I got hammered, and she hated it/him.