PDA

View Full Version : Study: Welfare pays more than work in most states

Muddy
08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Looking for a good paying job? Well, look no further.

No, really, stop looking. In 35 states, welfare benefits pay more than a minimum wage job, according to a new study by the libertarian Cato Institute, and in 13 states welfare pays more than $15 per hour.

http://i.imgur.com/kEFWdlt.jpg

“One of the single best ways to climb out of poverty is taking a job, but as long as welfare provides a better standard of living than an entry-level job, recipients will continue to choose it over work,” said Michael Tanner, senior policy analyst and co-author of the study.

The study is an updated version of one Tanner put out in 1995 that estimated the full value of welfare benefits packages across the states. The 1995 study found that such tax-free welfare benefits greatly exceeded the poverty level and “their dollar value was greater than the amount of take-home income a worker would receive from an entry-level job.”

Despite efforts to curb welfare spending, many welfare programs and benefits have continued to outpace the income that many workers can receive for working an entry-level job, which disincentivizes work, according to the study.

“The current welfare system provides such a high level of benefits that it acts as a disincentive for work,” reads the study. “Welfare currently pays more than a minimum-wage job in 35 states, even after accounting for the Earned Income Tax Credit, and in 13 states it pays more than $15 per hour.”

According to the study, the federal government funds 126 separate programs designed to support low-income earners. Seventy-two of these programs provide cash or in-kind benefits to recipients. This is on top of additional welfare programs operated by state and local governments.

Welfare recipients in Hawaii get the most benefits, according to Tanner, at $29.13 per hour — or $60,590 pre-tax income annually. However, the state’s minimum wage is only $7.25 per hour, according to the Labor Department. Hawaiians on welfare also earn 167 percent of the median salary in the state, which is only $36,275.

The District of Columbia, Massachusetts and Connecticut have the next more generous welfare benefits.

D.C. welfare recipients can earn $24.43 per hour. In Massachusetts they can get $24.30 per hour. In Connecticut welfare recipients can receive $21.33 per hour.

“If Congress and state legislatures are serious about reducing welfare dependence and rewarding work, they should consider strengthening welfare work requirements, removing exemptions, and narrowing the definition of work,” says the study.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/study-welfare-pays-more-than-work-in-most-states/#ixzz2cc3mMuU2

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

There are a lot of factors at work here.. imo

http://i.imgur.com/72YsvVB.jpg

KevinD
08-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Ha ha ha...I Know that sign. It's in Texas, on I-10, west of San Antonio. The next sign is "Comfort".

Heard this report on the radio Monday. Is anyone really surprised?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Walmart is an entry level job, if you have no skills, you can't expect to make $20/hour, I don't care how much people "think" they are worth. But as an aside, I would rather supplement someone with food stamps that has a full time job, such as a Walmart employee trying to support their family because they can't find another job, than I would paying someone full welfare benefits to sit on their ass at home, get pregnant, and add more kids to the welfare rolls.

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 06:39 PM
D.C. welfare recipients can earn $24.43 per hour..

that's more than I make :|... and I have to secure transportation to get to work, fund that transportation, put in extra time for the commute, feed myself away from home and of course, deal with the mental and physical stresses that my job puts on my body daily.

it ain't right..

KevinD
08-21-2013, 07:10 PM
That's what quite a few of us have been saying for years. I have no problem helping those that truly need it, but have a huge problem with the whole "entitlement mentality"
Many folks who work their butts off live at a lower level then those who live off the dole. A large reason for that is the amount of taxes than are taken out in one form or another.

Muddy
08-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Walmart is an entry level job, if you have no skills, you can't expect to make $20/hour, I don't care how much people "think" they are worth. But as an aside, I would rather supplement someone with food stamps that has a full time job, such as a Walmart employee trying to support their family because they can't find another job, than I would paying someone full welfare benefits to sit on their ass at home, get pregnant, and add more kids to the welfare rolls.

But the point is.. Why would someone work at Walmart when you can get more money and not work?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2013, 07:25 PM
But the point is.. Why would someone work at Walmart when you can get more money and not work?

Well obviously you shouldn't be allowed to make that kinda money while on welfare. Welfare is meant to be a safety net, not a career. They need to change the way benefits are paid out and how much is paid out.

Muddy
08-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Well obviously you shouldn't be allowed to make that kinda money while on welfare. Welfare is meant to be a safety net, not a career. They need to change the way benefits are paid out and how much is paid out.

Oh, Obamas got some "change" for ya'! :lol:

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Up here we used to have UIC..Unemployment insurance. When you quit or got fired you could go on it almost automatically for half the year if you wanted to.

Now it's called EI..Employment insurance, and they tightened the rules so severely that it's difficult to get. I called and was told - If you're on maternity leave or laid off without cause, you may be able to apply for it. If you quit your job or get fired, you don't get it. Which I disagree with because you may get fired because your manager or supervisor is an ass.

If you apply and do start receiving benefits, they make you provide proof that you're actively looking for a job and they don't care if it's McDonalds or something beneath your training, they'll cut benefits if for example you could get a low paying job and you refuse it.

RBP
08-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Up here we used to have UIC..Unemployment insurance. When you quit or got fired you could go on it almost automatically for half the year if you wanted to.

Now it's called EI..Employment insurance, and they tightened the rules so severely that it's difficult to get. I called and was told - If you're on maternity leave or laid off without cause, you may be able to apply for it. If you quit your job or get fired, you don't get it. Which I disagree with because you may get fired because your manager or supervisor is an ass.

If you apply and do start receiving benefits, they make you provide proof that you're actively looking for a job and they don't care if it's McDonalds or something beneath your training, they'll cut benefits if for example you could get a low paying job and you refuse it.

That's a different benefit than welfare. At least here.

Hal-9000
08-21-2013, 11:00 PM
That's a different benefit than welfare. At least here.

Yes you're right. I've never applied for either up here, not sure how lenient our welfare system is.

KevinD
08-21-2013, 11:09 PM
I actually tried to apply for unemployment once. I had gotten laid off from a job while I was still going to night school. After a week of going to the unemployment office all day, filling out form after form, and even better waiting in those wonderful lines and dealing with government employees, I finally told the woman behind the counter to forget it. I'd find my own job. Was working the next day at a job I found.

KevinD
08-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Here's the full list. Texas is about inline with where I think it should be.

http://radio.foxnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/WELFARE-resized.jpg

RBP
08-22-2013, 03:01 AM
Here's the full list. Texas is about inline with where I think it should be.

http://radio.foxnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/WELFARE-resized.jpg

Any idea why the equivalent pretax wage is sometimes higher and sometimes lower? It seems to go down (relative to the benefits) as the benefit levels decrease.

KevinD
08-22-2013, 02:09 PM
My guess would be variances in state and federal taxes. Not sure, but interesting question. I'm still trying to determine exactly how they came up with the amounts shown.

Jezter
08-23-2013, 07:47 AM
This. So much this.

Because their moral compass tells them to? I mean, it is about changing peoples attitude... I would be ashamed and would not even dare to apply for welfare is I had a job I could go to, was healthy and able, even if it didn't pay enough. I mean, it would calm my heart, mind and soul to try my best and if that was not enough, then apply for some help to make up for the missing money. Like Lance said here: They need to change the way benefits are paid out and how much is paid out. That is how it should be. Plus mandatory drug and alcohol tests.