PDA

View Full Version : People leaving NY at highest rate

Richard Cranium
08-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Lets see how many ridiculous things we can blame this on, because of course it has nothing to do with progressive liberal democrat, big government, anti business, big tax, welfare state, and massive unprecedented loss of freedoms. Must just be a coincidence that the big three loser states are the worst offenders of the above mentioned side effects of being a blue state.

A new study shows thousands of people are fleeing New York State and as they're leaving, studies show they're taking a lot of revenue with them. A research group called the Tax Foundation says New York State lost billions of dollars within a decade.

The study shows from 2000 to 2010, the state lost $45.6 billion in income. New York State is leading the nation in lost revenue compared to other big states like California who lost 29.4 billion and Illinois who lost $20.4 billion.

So why are people leaving the Empire State? News10NBC spoke with students to find out why they don't stay. Out of all the people leaving the state, we thought it would be best to ask students who represent thousands of New Yorkers. Our question: if they move here and study here, why don't they stay?

Education and growth are two reasons why thousands of students flock to local schools. But we found out there may be a number of reasons why students don't stay.

Student Petr-John Rowe says, "It might be due to the fact that they have been in the area for 4-5 years and they might need a change of pace."

Rowe is one of many RIT students from around the world. He says he will leave Rochester for a very big reason.

"It might depend on the area itself," says Rowe. "For example, I'm from Jamaica and I don't necessarily like Rochester, just because of the winters here. They are pretty brutal."

Fifty-three percent of students at RIT are from out of state, so could that be a factor? International student Jan Ddorik says yes.

"The immigration problems. So I have to have additional visas, green cards and all of that," says Ddorik. "It's much more difficult for me to stay here because of all these legal problems that come in."

Another reason why college students may be fleeing the state: lack of entry level jobs?

"We are a younger generation so we want the techie jobs, the social media jobs," says Kelly Fidler. "All of these new things you won't necessarily find here in New York state."

Kelly Fidler is planning to move to Ireland after graduation. We told her about the study, she says if she thought she could find a career path here, she wouldn't necessarily leave.

"It's not that I wouldn't stay in the city, I love being here," says Fidler. "It's just that what I want to do with my life isn't here."

She says, "I think it's kind of surprising because I think that there are so many vast options that you can do with your life and I think it would be something in New York for people."

deebakes
08-24-2013, 08:51 PM
the states they mention have extremely high costs of living. in times where people start looking for ways to save, it makes sense to leave and get more bang for your buck :twocents:

Richard Cranium
08-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Take it a layer deeper. Why do California, Illinois and NY have such high costs of living?

deebakes
08-24-2013, 09:34 PM
because they are all a bunch of pompous knuckleheads? :-k

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Actually, it's a mix of both. Cost of living, increase in taxes, loss of jobs, loss of freedoms, etc etc etc. It all adds up. And it's the same in New Jersey. There was an article several months ago that said 50% of NJ residents that move, move out of state.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Take it a layer deeper. Why do California, Illinois and NY have such high costs of living?

Because we have to pay extra taxes for the freeloaders, in CA you cant argue the weather is great

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Because we have to pay extra taxes for the freeloaders, in CA you cant argue the weather is great

Until it falls into the ocean.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Then I'll have beach front, Im inland :lol:

Richard Cranium
08-24-2013, 10:48 PM
I'll come out and help build ya a dock PCS

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2013, 10:58 PM
:hand:

Porky's gonna have to swim to Arizona Bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8vmaj75xzE

PorkChopSandwiches
08-24-2013, 11:20 PM
I'll come out and help build ya a dock PCS
Thanks

:hand:

Porky's gonna have to swim to Arizona Bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8vmaj75xzE
Learn to swim

Richard Cranium
08-24-2013, 11:36 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4qkl8HRQG1r2wj0bo1_500.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
08-25-2013, 02:09 AM
:oink: