PDA

View Full Version : Dancers sue strip club for failing to pay wages and taking tips

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
By Joey Bunch - The Denver Post

http://i.imgur.com/Q56DauA.jpg

A group of strippers at a Grand Junction club are seeking to force its owner to keep his hands off their tips and pay them wages, according to a class-action lawsuit. Their lawyer is encouraging more dancers to join the fight.

The dancers at Fantasy Gentlemen's Club aren't paid anything by club owner Kevin Eardley. Instead, they must pay the club to work there, said lawyer Mari Newman of the Denver firm of Killmer, Lane & Newman, which specializes in civil rights cases.

Dancers also are required to share their tips with the club's bouncers and DJs, as well as pay fines for behavior such as trading shifts with other dancers and for the misconduct of customers, Newman said.

"They're making their living off the backs of these employees," she said. "They're exploiting a vulnerable workforce, because most of these women have had no access to legal services to protect their rights."

The lawsuit names four plaintiffs — Jessica Mason, Michelle Cross, Allison Stebbing and Jamie Tencza — and Newman said a fifth dancer will soon join the suit.

Eardley said the dancers are tenants, not employees; they signed a lease agreement to use the club. He said the arrangement is standard for strip clubs and similar to that in which people rent booth space in hair salons.

"This is four ex-dancers alleging they're employees trying to get some money," he said. "They're lease tenants. They signed lease agreements and they rent space from me."

Eardley said 10 to 15 women dance at the club nightly.

The lawsuit was filed as a class-action case, which represents a large group of people in a category.

"This case highlights the exploitation of one of the most vulnerable groups of employees, young women working as dancers in adult-entertainment establishments," Newman said. "We are receiving calls from numerous employees who have been mistreated and want to join the case."

The case was filed in federal court in Denver.

Newman said the practice of not paying dancers is not unique in the industry, and if the case is successful, it could force many clubs to change their practices.

"What they're doing is clearly illegal," she said. "They don't pay employees wages. They don't pay any benefits. They don't even provide workers' comp, and dancers, as you can imagine, get hurt on the job."

Hal-9000
08-28-2013, 02:55 PM
I dated a peeler way back when and she explained to me that everywhere she worked, she was paid by the owner of the establishment and kept any and all tips thrown on stage.

Strippers do one thing, help the bar owner sell drinks and inspire John Doe to plant his ass there for 3 hours rather than the pub across the street.

the arrangement above sounds idiotic because my old sweetie got paid by the set (4 songs/4 dances) everywhere she worked....she didn't have to rent space to ply her craft :lol:

Muddy
08-28-2013, 03:06 PM
I've heard lots of cases where the strippers have to pay the club a portion of their earnings...

PorkChopSandwiches
08-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I've heard lots of cases where the strippers have to pay the club a portion of their earnings...

Pretty standard practice out here as well

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Same goes for some bartenders in big city nightclubs and such. When I went to NYC a long time ago, we were talking to the bartender and he said that he paid to work at the bar and got no salary, but he did get to keep all his tips.

Noilly Pratt
08-28-2013, 03:52 PM
I knew one girl in Vancouver who was working her way through college and it went like Hal described.

The girl I knew would do her set at 1 place, take a waiting taxi over across town to another bar and perform under a different name.

Pony
08-28-2013, 04:09 PM

Pretty sure here they get a minimum wage plus tips but they have to tip out the DJ and possibly the bouncers. The club makes all it's profits off of food and drinks.

Pony
08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I knew one girl in Vancouver who was working her way through college and it went like Hal described.

The girl I knew would do her set at 1 place, take a waiting taxi over across town to another bar and perform under a different name.

That wouldn't work here, the 2 songs on stage is just for random tips of a buck or two, all the money is made doing tableside dances when not on the stage. usually 2 songs for $10 at the table or two song for $20 in a semi private booth.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2013, 04:13 PM
That wouldn't work here, the 2 songs on stage is just for random tips of a buck or two, all the money is made doing tableside dances when not on the stage. usually 2 songs for $10 at the table or two song for $20 in a semi private booth.

That's the way it was in the clubs I used to go to in Montreal...girls made the biggest majority of their money on table dances/private dances.

Muddy
08-28-2013, 04:21 PM
I pay Lance to let me dance at his shop.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-28-2013, 04:35 PM
That's the way it was in the clubs I used to go to in Montreal...girls made the biggest majority of their money on table dances/private dances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9yBPcn8IqU

Hal-9000
08-28-2013, 05:09 PM

that's how it was for my buddy...she got a flat rate for 3 or 4 sets a night and kept all of the tip money...

if there was a fee to each of the bars she never mentioned it...oh, and she got free drinks all night at each place she worked and that girl could drink!