PDA

View Full Version : Obama on Syria: ‘My Credibility Is Not on the Line’

Teh One Who Knocks
09-04-2013, 05:34 PM
By Jonathan Karl - ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/9J3AQdj.jpg

STOCKHOLM — A defiant President Obama declared his credibility was not on the line when it came to Syria. Instead, he said, it was the credibility of Congress, and the international community, that was on the line.

“First of all, I didn’t set a ‘red line,’ the world set a red line,” Obama said at a joint press conference in Stockholm with Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt. “The world set a red line when governments representing 98 percent of the world’s population said the use of chemical weapons are abhorrent and passed a treaty forbidding their use even when countries are engaged in war. Congress set a red line when it ratified that treaty.”

Obama: “My credibility is not on the line. The international community’s credibility is on the line. And America’s and Congress’s credibility is on the line.”

On the question of whether or not he would strike Syria even if Congress rejected the resolution authorizing military action, the president did not offer a direct answer, but he made it clear he retained the authority strike, regardless of what Congress did.

“I would not have taken this before Congress just as a symbolic gesture,” Obama said. “I think it’s very important that Congress say that we mean what we say. And I think we will be stronger as a country in our response if the president and Congress does it together.”

But, he added: “As commander in chief, I always preserve the right and the responsibility to act on behalf of America’s national security. I do not believe that I was required to take this to Congress, but I did not take this to Congress just because it is an empty exercise.”

Asked how he squares his status as Nobel Peace Prize winner with his decision to attack Syria, the president said it was the responsibility of the United States to take action, even if there were other things he would rather be doing.

“I would much rather spend my time talking about how to make sure every 3- and 4-year-old gets a good education than I would spending time thinking about how can I prevent 3- and 4-year-olds from being subjected to chemical weapons and nerve gas,” he said.

But, he added, “as president of the United States, I can’t avoid those questions because as — as much as we are criticized, when bad stuff happens around the world, the first question is what is the United States going to do about it? That’s true on every — every issue. It’s true in Libya. It’s true in Rwanda. It’s true in Sierra Leone. It’s now true in Syria. That’s part of the deal.”

The president also expressed frustration with Russian President Vladimir Putin’s support of the Syrian government, noting, “We can end deaths more rapidly if Russia takes a different approach to these problems.”

“As far as security action — Security Council action, we have gone repeatedly to the Security Council for even the most modest of resolutions condemning some of the actions that have taken place there, and it has been resisted by Russia,” Obama said.

KevinD
09-04-2013, 05:55 PM
as much as we are criticized, when bad stuff happens around the world, the first question is what is the United States going to do about it? That’s true on every — every issue.

That's about the only thing he said that was true. Every time this asshat opens his mouth he lies. I at first, believe it or not, tried to give him benefit of doubt. I did not ever agree with him on many issues, true, but now, I can't wait for his (and others) mess to just come tumbling down. Maybe, just maybe, then people will wake up before another revolution has to happen.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-04-2013, 06:10 PM
That's about the only thing he said that was true. Every time this asshat opens his mouth he lies. I at first, believe it or not, tried to give him benefit of doubt. I did not ever agree with him on many issues, true, but now, I can't wait for his (and others) mess to just come tumbling down. Maybe, just maybe, then people will wake up before another revolution has to happen.

Oh I'm sure that he has his staff desperately trying to dig up some way to blame this on Bush somehow...because we all know that nothing is ever Barry's fault.

perrhaps
09-04-2013, 07:23 PM
You can't lose what you never had.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-04-2013, 07:31 PM
:lol:

Acid Trip
09-04-2013, 09:23 PM
It took 10 days for the US to "know" Syria used chemical weapons.

It's been over a year and still no word on Benghazi. Funny how that stuff works.

KevinD
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Hmm. end of fiscal years is coming up soon. Notice how there's zero talk about raising the debt limit yet again like there was a couple weeks ago?

I keep telling y'all, smoke and mirrors.

RBP
09-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Oh I'm sure that he has his staff desperately trying to dig up some way to blame this on Bush somehow...because we all know that nothing is ever Barry's fault.

That didn't take long....

CARVILLE: You know, what I would say and maybe a little bit of a different view here. I think what really is freaking people out is the incompetence of the Bush administration in Iraq.

O'REILLY: You're going to blame Bush?

CARVILLE: Of course, the Iraq thing is why people have so much trepidation about going into Syria. They said the last time we went over there, look what happened. I really think this has something to do with it.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/09/04/carville_people_are_freaking_out_about_syria_becau se_of_bush_and_iraq.html

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
:facepalm:

RBP
09-05-2013, 11:14 AM
You called it.

Richard Cranium
09-20-2013, 12:22 AM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/ab884bf9d07087c407c00e72bd8c3cce/tumblr_mt5iultcme1s51dfmo1_500.jpg

What influenced President Obama's mercurial decision on military intervention in Syria? According to Michael Calderone, it may have been the editors and op-ed writers at the New York Times.

Calderone confirms that President Obama had an off-the-record meeting with Times editor Andy Rosenthal, members of the editorial board, and opinion columnists David Brooks, Gail Collins and Ross Douthat. The meeting took place on on August 29, the day before he reversed course and decided to postpone military intervention.

The meeting came amid the White House’s push for military intervention in Syria, one of the topics discussed that day. The Times editorial board hadn't explicitly come out for or against a strike on Syrian President Bashar Assad before the meeting, and soon after the paper still expressed concerns about the administration taking action without congressional approval and broad international support.

Calderone goes on to paint a picture that shows the Obama Administration taking the lead of the Times editorial board as his Syria policy took shape the last weekend of August, including the dramatic, last-minute decision to seek congressional approval on military intervention.

In an editorial posted online Aug. 30 and in the next day's paper, Times editors wrote that “even in the best of circumstances, military action could go wrong in so many ways; the lack of strong domestic and international support will make it even more difficult.”

Later that evening, President Obama reversed course and announced he would take the issue to Congress.

FBD
09-20-2013, 02:04 AM
:lol: has to get coached on how to be president by the new york times